DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

tomnjerry74
1 minute ago, Glyde62 said:

What are the advantages of DSM7 Over DSM6 is it worth the hassle of upgrading?

Long story short 100% worth it. I wouldn’t call it a hassle as the process is pretty automatic and smooth. As for emby, if you follow the guide it should go very smoothly as well.

Glyde62
2 hours ago, tomnjerry74 said:

Long story short 100% worth it. I wouldn’t call it a hassle as the process is pretty automatic and smooth. As for emby, if you follow the guide it should go very smoothly as well.

Gave it a go update seems to gone ok

• Like 1

Hello,

the video is not available anymore so I tried the upgrade following the 1st post, as i was adviced to, but I'm not sure of certain actions --> could you please explain ?

- update Emby Server to 4.6.3 (or latest release) : done
- restart Emby Server and verify your on 4.6.3 : done
- uninstall Emby : done

- update DSM to v7 : done

- install Emby 4.6.3 (or same version that was running above (dsm7 version) : done
- stop Emby : done
- remove emby_pkg user and video group : done
- enable admin account if needed : i had to give the admin pwd
- give read/write permissions to your login ID and add Emby : ???

--> i don't see what my login ID is : the emby user i use to connect to "emby client" in kodi & to emby server on my pc ?

--> "add Emby" : it is a new user to add ?

- enable ssh in Synology settings (Terminal & SNMP menu) : done

Not shown in video:
- connect with Putty to Synology, login with admin user and get root rights with: sudo -i : done

- copy files from old Emby share to new data location: 
cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer : done

- adjust owner from copied files: 
chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer : done
- close putty : done

Shown again in video:
- From Control Panel go to Shared Folder and edit each share that is used by Emby Server.  Click the share, then EDIT, go to permission tab, select System internal usefrom drop down : done to "video" only
grant emby user read/write access : done
- add emby user and emby group to your shared media folder in Synology : ???

--> I don't get what the "shared media folder" is ; in my case, emby srv will access only "video" as shared folder, but i guess that the shared media folder is smthg else, no ?

Thank you for any help in advance because i'm stuck :(

regards

PS : before upgrading, i had "embysrv" as a local user in DSM6, which disappeared

Edited by weyb
precisions added

Video in the first page is still there for download.  Just downloaded it.

mutu310

These instructions don't work for me. I started off by installing DSM7 and didn't know that would break Emby, so I uninstalled Emby and installed the Emby for DSM7. But now I can neither find the permissions to add, nor the users to delete, and /volume1/Emby does not exist. Did I lose all my data and need to start from scratch?

1 hour ago, mutu310 said:

These instructions don't work for me. I started off by installing DSM7 and didn't know that would break Emby, so I uninstalled Emby and installed the Emby for DSM7. But now I can neither find the permissions to add, nor the users to delete, and /volume1/Emby does not exist. Did I lose all my data and need to start from scratch?

Follow the migration instructions from the point of DSM 7 being installed and you should be ok.

I would check the data folder after copying the files over to make sure you only have .db files. If you see the the wal or shm files in the database folder then delete them.

mutu310

Please re-read what I said @cayars. I can't find the permissions to add (Emby), nor the user to delete (or the group called video), and when I went to /volume1 in SSH there's no folder called Emby there.

It sounds like you aren't following the directions in the first post or for some reason your DSM 7 upgrade went wonky and didn't upgrade properly.

The folders you're quoting are not part of the migration.

Can you try following step by step again starting with DSM 7 just installed?  As soon as something is wrong, show us a pic of what you're trying to do that doesn't match the directions.  If not sure, watch the video that shows all steps but the SSH/Putty (2 lines).

mutu310
48 minutes ago, cayars said:

It sounds like you aren't following the directions in the first post or for some reason your DSM 7 upgrade went wonky and didn't upgrade properly.

The folders you're quoting are not part of the migration.

Can you try following step by step again starting with DSM 7 just installed?  As soon as something is wrong, show us a pic of what you're trying to do that doesn't match the directions.  If not sure, watch the video that shows all steps but the SSH/Putty (2 lines).

You're not following me, but I'll follow your request and start from the very first problem.
So, I'm on DSM 7, with Emby for DSM7 installed (I even opened it and got to the login screen), stopped Emby and tried to "remove emby_pkg user and video group", but these don't exist.

I see them in your video, but they're not there for me.

Now what I didn't follow is that I have no idea what Emby's version was before (but it was supposed to be getting auto updated) and I installed the newest version of Emby for DSM7 now.

emby2.PNG

emby1.PNG

Edited by mutu310

It looks like you didn't have 4.6.4 installed in DSM 6.

Did you do the putty/SSH commands?  Did it copy files?

mutu310
24 minutes ago, cayars said:

It looks like you didn't have 4.6.4 installed in DSM 6.

Did you do the putty/SSH commands?  Did it copy files?

As I wrote earlier, I tried doing the SSH commands but /volume1/Emby does NOT exist 😢

emby3.thumb.PNG.a2dcd5287e0fe69db3121672af656b25.PNG

Look like you skipped a step as you aren't the root user.

mutu310

Fair enough, I logged in with the user 'admin', did a sudo -i and the result is the same. There is no /volume1/Emby

Edited by mutu310

4 hours ago, mutu310 said:

Fair enough, I logged in with the user 'admin', did a sudo -i and the result is the same. There is no /volume1/Emby

Where did you have Emby Server installed on DSM 6?

Are you sure you didn't have Emby installed in docker?

mutu310
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Where did you have Emby Server installed on DSM 6?

Are you sure you didn't have Emby installed in docker?

I have no idea where it was installed but I never changed any settings with regards to storage. And yes, I always installed it through the Package Manager (except for this time, to add DSM7 version)

Best I can recommend is to try searching for a file on the file system that would have existed such as library.db.

You will likely have a DSM 7 version but we need to find the DSM 6 version.

Other than finding it this way it would seem like the DSM 6 version was removed.

mutu310
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

Best I can recommend is to try searching for a file on the file system that would have existed such as library.db.

You will likely have a DSM 7 version but we need to find the DSM 6 version.

Other than finding it this way it would seem like the DSM 6 version was removed.

admin@DISKSTATION:~$ sudo -i
Password:
root@DISKSTATION:~# find / -name library.db
/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/data/library.db
root@DISKSTATION:~#

So, basically I've lost everything? If so, I'm switching to Synology's inbuilt one.

Not sure what else we can do to help you migrate if the original DSM 6 install isn't present on the file system.

At this point I would just use a fresh DSM 7 Emby install and rebuild the library.

KMorehead
On 7/5/2021 at 6:42 PM, cayars said:

- copy files from old Emby share to new data location: 
cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

Please explain this part to me.  If my folders and files were still there after the dsm 7 update then why do i need to do this?  From the sound of it it's copying my whole library somewhere but is it duplicating it all?

Yes it is a copy as DSM 7 stores content in a different location then DSM 6 does.

Once satisfied the DSM 7 migration and Emby running on DSM 7 is working you can remove the old DSM 6 location.

KMorehead

Okay then I must be missing something.  I don't see duplicate or new folders anywhere.  In DSM 6 I had an  Emby shared folder with my library folders in that shared folder which are all still there and looks the same.

Where are the duplicates or the new folders at created by that command?

The DSM 6 location is
/volume1/Emby/

The DSM 7 location after you follow the migration instructions here will be:
/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

When you say you had libraries folders in the shared app folder you don't mean you had media in /volume1/Emby/ do you?
If so that media should be moved to a "Media" share before you do this migration or all the media will get duplicated.

KMorehead

Yes I had my media in the Emby folder to keep it all together.  Probably ignorant on my part now that I understand what's happening.  Ugh.

Can I cancel this copy and move my media to another folder? Has it already copied the Emby data I needed?

Yes I'd kill the copy.

If you want send me a PM and I can do a remote session with you and give you a hand.