DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

jnrfalcon
On 7/24/2021 at 8:33 AM, tomnjerry74 said:

Thanks for the great guide @cayars

Regarding the Emby server version prior to upgrading to DSM 7: Is there a reason you instructed to upgrade to 4.6.3 first? Before I knew about this guide, I stupidly upgraded to DSM 7 while still on either 4.6.2 or 4.6.1 (forget).

Despite this, after following the rest of the tutorial everything is seemingly working perfectly. My only concern is that I might have messed something up internally by not following that first step.

By "the rest" do you mean uninstall old Emby and immediately reinstall 4.6.3 and start from there? I'm in the same boat. Currently the server appear to work, but nothing plays. When I try to play, it shows "No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details."

10 minutes ago, jnrfalcon said:

By "the rest" do you mean uninstall old Emby and immediately reinstall 4.6.3 and start from there? I'm in the same boat. Currently the server appear to work, but nothing plays. When I try to play, it shows "No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details."

Not sure what you're asking.  Did you do the migration as shown in the OP post?

jnrfalcon
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Not sure what you're asking.  Did you do the migration as shown in the OP post?

I've upgraded to DSM7 and then updated Emby to 4.6.2 back when it was the newest. That's all I have done now. I'm just wondering from which step should I begin following the tutorial.

tomnjerry74
9 minutes ago, jnrfalcon said:

I've upgraded to DSM7 and then updated Emby to 4.6.2 back when it was the newest. That's all I have done now. I'm just wondering from which step should I begin following the tutorial.

Theoretically you just need to uninstall 4.6.2, then install the latest 4.6.3 and continue with the guide.

• Like 1

jnrfalcon
15 minutes ago, jnrfalcon said:

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, jnrfalcon said:

Thanks!

If you hit any snags or concerns, stop and PM me.  I can do a remote support session with you and get you back on track.

However, following the guide you should be just fine.  As long as your DSM6 Emby files are intact you can repeat the migration process over and over in case you goof or get something wrong.  So don't fear it.

bacardi8

Hi There,

everything went fine, except the part using putty.

I can't get this part with putty to function, is there an different way...???

So when i open Emby now it looks like that I will have to make a first time setup from beginning.

Do you have putty or an SSH client installed?

What happens when you login using putty?

jpc0480

I ran into a problem in the migration on Synology DS218j 

I upgraded Emby to the latest version 4.6.4

However Emby failed to load after the upgrade. Connection was refused by the server. 

I upgraded to DSM 7 and followed the steps above without (yet) using Putty. The page loaded but to setup the server as a new and my user accounts were not present. I went in and performed the steps with Putty but now the page is refusing connection and the app itself keeps stopping... I run it again and try to load it up but it fails over and over. 

That is exactly what should happen since you haven't actually migrated your data from the old DSM6 location to the new DSM7 location.

Follow the guide exactly and it will migrate your data.  If you don't understand something watch the video which shows everything but the two lines being used in Putty/SSH but they are right in the guide for you to copy/paste into Putty/SSH.

jpc0480

I did perform both putty steps and have confirmed that the "emby" user has read/write access to the media folder.

I have done the following: 

stop Emby
- remove emby_pkg user and video group
- enable admin account if needed
- give read/write permissions to your login ID and add Emby
- enable ssh in Synology settings (Terminal & SNMP menu)
- connect with Putty to Synology, login with admin user and get root rights with: sudo -i
- copy files from old Emby share to new data location: 
cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

- adjust owner from copied files: 
chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
- close putty

Shown again in video:
- From Control Panel go to Shared Folder and edit each share that is used by Emby Server.  Click the share, then EDIT, go to permission tab, select System internal usefrom drop down,
grant emby user read/write access.
- add emby user and emby group to your shared media folder in Synology

There was a some activity for quite awhile in putty as there was a large number of files that were moved. 

When I go and start Emby from the package center, connection is refused in the browser (chrome) and the app stops in DSM 7

image.thumb.png.1fcfdcaeb53d99ab0ffbd587875681ec.png

Edited by jpc0480

Send me a PM and we can arrange a remote session.
I should hopefully be able to help you fix this.

• Thanks 1

bacardi8

Hi Cayars,

yes I downloaded and installed Putty.

I can't log in with putty it seams. It pops up with the black window then

i can type in my username, but when it comes to password it freezes and i can't continue.

is there an another SSH client that I should try..???

I never tried to use  programs like these I have to say 😁.

Another question I would like to ask is, 

If I just continue with my situation, means continue with starting the Emby setup as it looks for now, would that be okay..??

or should I uninstall and start again. Would my login details and Key still be functioning..??

Im asking because a new installation would also be okay for me, since that I don't really have that much to migrate over.

tomnjerry74
20 minutes ago, bacardi8 said:

Hi Cayars,

yes I downloaded and installed Putty.

I can't log in with putty it seams. It pops up with the black window then

i can type in my username, but when it comes to password it freezes and i can't continue.

is there an another SSH client that I should try..???

I never tried to use  programs like these I have to say 😁.

Another question I would like to ask is, 

If I just continue with my situation, means continue with starting the Emby setup as it looks for now, would that be okay..??

or should I uninstall and start again. Would my login details and Key still be functioning..??

Im asking because a new installation would also be okay for me, since that I don't really have that much to migrate over.

I don’t think the password entry in putty is freezing. It just doesn’t display anything as you type as a privacy measure. You can either type out your password like normal and then hit the enter key, or type your password somewhere else, copy it, and then right click in the putty window and hit the enter key.

bacardi8

Hi tomnjerry74,

Ahh okay, this sounds like it could be the trick, I will try it.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

jpc0480
6 hours ago, cayars said:

Thanks! Sent you a PM 

jpc0480
13 hours ago, cayars said:

I really appreciate the support! Just had a remote session with @cayars who helped me resolve some other issues beyond my understanding :) Emby is back up, safe and sound! 

• Like 1

bacardi8

Hi Cayars,

All good.

The issue was on my side, due to that i did'nt really know how to deal with "Putty" (Thanks to tomnjerry74)

I went back to the section right after the install of DSM 7, followed the instruction from Cayars and all went perfect.

Only thing now is that im denied access to the Emby program data folder on my NAS, it don't accept my password.

Any idea to fix that...???

What do you mean data folder?

Are you talking about where Emby stores database files or do you mean the media folders?

If you're talking about using File Station (DSM) or Windows File Manager you can't access where the files are stored this way.

You would need to SSH or putty to /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/Data with elevated permissions.

I'm really not sure what you mean you're being denied to that area.  Is Emby Server having an issue you need to fix/adjust or was this just about getting to the files for backup or similar reasons?

sultan

Hi @cayars!

Now I had some time to look into the issue. I have Emby version 4.6.4.0 running on my NAS with DSM 7. I checked your guide and the video. The only thing I needed to do was to add read/write access to my media folder to the user 'emby'. Everything else was in place (the folder /volume1/Emby did not exist any more and all the data was under /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer).

So this was quite easy. Thanks for your support!

• Like 1