DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

Acemt

I did that

ssh yourNASusername@yourNASip -p22

It lets me in, then tells me access denied with password

Edited by Acemt

Hi, Did you do as shown in the video?

What I'm referring to is enabling the admin user and setting the password for it?  This is the password you would use for sudo -i when asked.

Edited by cayars

Tandhruil

Like some others, I've lost the users.

I've try to delete /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/config/users and copy the users again but it did'nt work

I only have the user emby

Acemt

Can you expand on this instruction:   cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

Is there something to put where the * is?

yarez0
9 minutes ago, Acemt said:

Can you expand on this instruction:   cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

Is there something to put where the * is?

copy -recursive verbose all data in /volume1/Emby to /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

you only can connect in ssh with admin account and then type sudo -i with admin password

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tandhruil said:

I've try to delete /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/config/users and copy the users again but it did'nt work

If you're having an issue it could be because of the state you left the DSM 6 version in. It could have have files open/locked.

Shut down Emby Server and do the SSH cp and chown functions again.

Immediately after doing the cp and chown commands while still in SSH/putty do a change directory to the data folder

cd /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

run ls -l and look at the file names.  Do you see any files ending in shm or wal?

if so remove them such as rm *.wal  or rm *.shm

then continue on.

At this point just for safety you could reinstall the current DSM 7 Emby Server right over what you just copied.

See if that helps you.

Tandhruil
33 minutes ago, cayars said:

At this point just for safety you could reinstall the current DSM 7 Emby Server right over what you just copied.

See if that helps you.

Well I've uninstall the Emby DSM 7

rm -r * the directory EmbyServer

Install the Emby DSM 7 but unselect "Run after installation"

Then make the ssh actions

It works

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tandhruil said:

This happened to me too initially.  After you installed Emby on DSM 7, did you shut it down through the Emby web interface (by pressing the shutdown button in Emby), or via the Synology Package Center (by pressing stop)?  I found that stopping Emby using the Synology Package Center did not actually work, and I had to shut Emby down via the web interface.  Once I did that, and re-ran the cp and chown commands over SSH, my users were restored.  The instruction video only shows stopping Emby via the Synology Package Center, which did not work for me.  Hope this helps.  

If you shut down via package center you can see the status change.  Nothing wrong with shutting down directly from Emby either.  Either way you can test to make sure Emby is down by trying to load the home page.

I mentioned a couple posts above how to check for locks on the database files.  If there were any locks on the DSM6 version they will get copied over as well and should get fixed/removed.

JulesC

I’m relatively new with Synology NAS. Just curious, will there be a more automated update from DSM 6 to 7? When I see the manual process for updating DSM and Emby, it require several steps that I would like to avoid if possible. TIA 

@cayars if there will not be a simpler update process for DSM & Emby, would you be willing to help me with this process? 

This really is the only process to migrate.  Unfortunately it's not easy to automate as DSM 7 puts new restriction of what apps and installation programs can do.

What I would suggest is just try following the instructions and if you hit any snags post in the forums or send me a PM and can certainly give you a hand with it.

• Like 1

kaledi

So I've gone through this procdure and it seems to have worked.

When I opened the dashboard up for the first time, should the main library thumbnails are intact, but the individual media aren't intact and there is a full library scan occuring.

Is this expected?

Update:

I noticed that I had a couple of snapshots on the original folder.  I deleted the snapshot folder on the @emby folder so maybe this caused this issue. 

So I then deleted all the contents of the destination folder and copied them across again (after deleting the snapshots on the source) and everything worked.

So anyone who has previously created snapshots on the emby folder, you may want to delete these first.

Edited by kaledi
Resolved issue
  • Like 1

DenisG

Hello,

I followed the instructions step by step. (first time for me to ssh my syno with Windows Powershell 😅, i was afraid with that)

Like others users, when I finally restart Emby, no users and no meta for my movies...

I shut down Emby and uninstall, then reinstall Emby (I unselect "run after installation" this time).

I done again the ssh instructions and finally restart Emby and.... Hourra, everything seems to be fine at this time !

Thanks a lot for the tutorial, and other users tips

Greetings from France.

Glad you got it working!  You likely had Emby Server running the first time you did the migration so some config files and the databases didn't copy over.

sultan

Hello,

I upgraded to DSM 7 before I saw this thread. After the upgrade Emby server was deactivated. So I downloaded the newest version (4.6.3) and installed it. After that it seemed to work. The Kodi on my Android TV can connect to Emby, it even can reset the database and reload it from the server. But: it does not play anything (message "error occurred playing media" or something like that). Secondly, when I add new media, it does not show up in the database.

Is there any chance to solve this without a clean reinstall and loss of the current operative data (played media, date added etc.)?

Thanks!

Hi, did you ever go back and do the migration starting from the point of doing the upgrade to DSM 7?

If not please follow the directions to do the steps listed and watch the included video first if you like.

sultan

That's the next step I am planning to do but I wanted to ask first, because I did not do the first steps: update Emby server before the upgrade to DSM 7 etc.

I will report how it went, but this will be somwhere next week.

Thanks!

What version did you have running on DSM 6?

If you like I could do a remote session with you using AnyDesk (remote screen sharing) and give you a hand with the migration.  I've done a few dozen of them now and know the process inside/out. :)

sultan

I didn't check the version prior the upgrade. Emby was on autoupdate, so it must have been the latest version. Thanks for the offer. 🙂 In this week I don't have time for this. I will reach out to you next week.

If you SSH/Putty into your old location and navigate to the data directory you will find a lastversion.txt text file which will have the version that was running in it.

You of course could also open the last Emby server log file as well which should also have the version in it.

tomnjerry74

Thanks for the great guide @cayars

Regarding the Emby server version prior to upgrading to DSM 7: Is there a reason you instructed to upgrade to 4.6.3 first? Before I knew about this guide, I stupidly upgraded to DSM 7 while still on either 4.6.2 or 4.6.1 (forget).

Despite this, after following the rest of the tutorial everything is seemingly working perfectly. My only concern is that I might have messed something up internally by not following that first step.

The idea is to be the same or close to same version.

If a person was on 4.5 on DSM 6 and upgraded to DSM 7 and used 4.6 it would likely still work but just throws in complications of an Emby upgrade in the process which makes diagnosing pure DSM upgrade glitches harder.

Hope that helps

• Like 1