DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions

Carlo

DSM7 Upgrade for Emby.mkvEDIT: The instructions assume default Synology install volume of /volume1.  If your location is different use that instead!

This is based on the release version of Emby which at the time of writing/video creation was 4.6.3.  The video will become dated so just use the latest DSM 6 Emby version from the website https://emby.media/synology-server.html. If you happen to be running a beta version update to the latest beta version before the DSM 7 update.  The idea is to do any updates on DSM 6 first before installing DSM 7.

Since the creation of the video Emby Server is now availing in the Emby Package store (release version) so you can install Emby on DSM 7 now from that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached is a quick video of upgrading DSM 6 to DSM 7 with Emby Updates.

The video will show only browser items and not the PUTTY/SSH commands but everything done in browser is recorded. The SSH commands are included below.

I converted this to MKV/H.265 to make it small enough to download and view offline.
DMS7 Upgrade for Emby.mkv21.57 MB · 78 downloads

Instructions used were:

Download and have ready DSM 7 package for update.
https://www.synology.com/en-us/DSM70 (I will be downloading both a virtualDSM 7 & for 920+)

Download and have ready Emby Server 4.6.3 for both DSM 6 & DSM 7
https://emby.media/download.html

- update Emby Server to current release of 4.6.3.
- restart Emby Server and verify your on the latest release version.
- uninstall Emby

- update DSM to v7

- install Emby 4.6.3 (or same version that was running above (dsm7 version) - You can now install the DSM 7 version directly from the Synology Package store! (still on our website too)
- stop Emby
- remove emby_pkg user and video group
- enable admin account if needed

- enable ssh in Synology settings (Terminal & SSH menu)

Not shown in video:
- connect with Putty to Synology, login with admin user and get root rights with: sudo -i

- copy files from old Emby share to new data location: 
cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

- adjust owner from copied files: 
chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
- close putty

Shown again in video:
- From Control Panel go to Shared Folder and edit each share that is used by Emby Server.  Click the share, then EDIT, go to permission tab, select System internal user from drop down,
grant emby user read/write access.

- start Emby

Notes:

You can now disable the default admin account as well as SSH.
You may also want to rename /volume1/Emby to /volume1/Emby6 as well. This will help make sure you don't have anything referencing the old directory.  If you don't notice any issues in a week or two you can delete this old folder/share to free up space.

DSM7 Upgrade for Emby.mkvDSM7 Upgrade for Emby.mkv

Edited by Happy2Play
edit cp line to show status while copying files.
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 9

yarez0

work like a charm

don't forget to change custom cache, temp sync folder etc, I got a shared folder called Emby and the migration process deleted it from the share folder list

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

skynet600

Many thanks for taking the time to do this. Can I confirm it is now safe to delete the emby shared folder?  Any other clean-up possible?

Acemt

I also lost all shares. No way am I going to go through that whole disaster again of importing and fixing all incorrect images/matches. Any help would be appreciated. Not sure why this wasn't an easier transition.

7 hours ago, LemurTech said:

The guide seemed to work fine, but when I logged in I had lost all my user accounts!

This sounds like you didn't get everything copied over.  You can shutdown Emby and do the cp & chown commands again to try and get all your info copied.

5 hours ago, skynet600 said:

Many thanks for taking the time to do this. Can I confirm it is now safe to delete the emby shared folder?  Any other clean-up possible?

If everything is working correctly it should be ok.  Maybe try renaming it first and let it sit another day or two first.  Once it's gone, it's gone so make sure everything is working well before your remove the old setup.

6 minutes ago, Acemt said:

I also lost all shares. No way am I going to go through that whole disaster again of importing and fixing all incorrect images/matches. Any help would be appreciated. Not sure why this wasn't an easier transition.

Sounds like either you didn't get the migration correct or your media isn't in shared folders and you no longer have access to it.

Where are your media folders setup?
Can you show us a pic?

5 minutes ago, Acemt said:

Media folders are fine. Plex migrated beautifully

Can you please describe your issue in more detail? Thanks.

Acemt

Just installed DSM7. Emby now starts like it is brand new. No shares and had to enter all my account info to get in. It acts like new install and had never been on server before.

Acemt

Just confirmed Plex works as before. Emby really hasn't worked well for months now. Random starts and stops/bad load times. I thought the upgrade would fix things. It made it worse.

Acemt

It's my bad I guess. I just assumed, wrongly apparently, that the install would be the same as PLEX. I had no idea their would be the compicated install process listed at the top of this thread. I installed DSM7 and then just upgraded the EMBY Server as I did with PLEX. I assume now that I am am screwed with my old config

Edited by Acemt

rodan

Followed the guide to the letter, Emby is running, has my lifetime key in it, but no users other than Emby and no shares, can't even add a user and when I enter the movies share path it can't find it. (but the path hasn't changed, it's the same as it was pre-migration)

Edit: Just for giggles I clicked clicked Library > scan library files and it's found the movies, busy scanning now, still wondering about the users though 😕

Edit 2: I'm wondering about this version of Emby.. just before I migrated (following the guide) I upgraded Emby to 4.6.4.0-3001 which was the latest version, and then used the same version (but for DSM7) to install after DSM7 upgrade. It feels buggy? No drop-down menus work, I can't add a user, it's like the interface isn't working. I've tried 3 different browsers, Chrome, Edge and SRWare Iron and it's all the same, it's like the frame of the drop-down menu flicks briefly on the screen and no menu.. new user fields are non-responsive, no cursor no input.. 

Edited by rodan

34 minutes ago, Acemt said:

It's my bad I guess. I just assumed, wrongly apparently, that the install would be the same as PLEX. I had no idea their would be the compicated install process listed at the top of this thread. I installed DSM7 and then just upgraded the EMBY Server as I did with PLEX. I assume now that I am am screwed with my old config

Just go back and follow it from the point of having just updated the NAS to DSM7 and you should be ok.

31 minutes ago, rodan said:

Followed the guide to the letter, Emby is running, has my lifetime key in it, but no users other than Emby and no shares, can't even add a user and when I enter the movies share path it can't find it. (but the path hasn't changed, it's the same as it was pre-migration)

Edit: Just for giggles I clicked clicked Library > scan library files and it's found the movies, busy scanning now, still wondering about the users though 😕

If you would like to do remote support session I can take a look at this for you and see if I can get your users back.
Send me a PM if you would like to do this.

yarez0

for the record I was on DSM6 last beta, follow the guide, upgrade to DSM 7 and reinstall to the last beta in DSM7 version. 

no lost of anything, just some bug until i realized that i had configured custom cache etc on a share folder called EMBY

to me the share EMBY was not lost, it was on the share list, accessible on cli, but did not appears in file station, maybe because of the rename of the emby user or something like this

Acemt

Didn't work. Same "welcome to Emby" after following everything to the letter after DSM 7 install.

Did not do the connect with Putty section because I have no idea what/how to do that.

I can see in the file structure that all looks like it is still there under EMBY. Just have no idea how to get new Emby to see data

Edited by Acemt

LemurTech
6 hours ago, cayars said:

This sounds like you didn't get everything copied over.  You can shutdown Emby and do the cp & chown commands again to try and get all your info copied.

Unfortunately, this did not work. I still have only the "emby" user. I checked in the @appdata folder, and the user profiles have been copied, but no joy. Open to ideas.

root@DS1815:~# chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
root@DS1815:~# cd /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/config/users
root@DS1815:/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/config/users# ls
0747b855265d430ab85a1d466e0c7516  abc972490143490b8834c246adbea6bd
3dde883731f441a191acc2e6161acff4  ea0949334d1a48d39569613951446194
8f41c113d0234157b78d9ea199c847cc
root@DS1815:/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/config/users#

EDIT: 

Hooray!!! I got this working! I first stopped Emby (of course) and then *deleted* everything in  /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer using this command:

rm -r /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/*

Then I recopied the old config files and set the owner exactly as per instructions. I've got my old users again. I guess I screwed something up in the original setting of permissions.

FINAL EDIT:

I still had an issue where I could not delete existing profiles, nor update profile pics. @cayars worked with me to resolve this. The fix involved stopping Emby, copying and chown-ing the old config files, uninstalling Emby, then reinstalling it. In the process, @cayars noted that when I originally copied by old config files over, there may have been some lock files copied in the process, which could have thrown a wrench into things. But things look golden now. Big hats-off to @cayars

Edited by LemurTech

rodan

OK, thanks to @cayars everything is resolved and Emby is working great with DSM 7!! The issues with not being able to get drop down menus working was due to my flight sim joystick / hotas being plugged in, disabled those and right away I could add new users, and drop-downs worked. The issue with the users not carrying over Cayars solved with some technical wizardry!

Big THANKYOU @cayars 💯

Edited by rodan
  • Thanks 1

It's always our pleasure to help like this when we can!

Happy Streaming!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Acemt

I have tried several times to get into the sever using terminal (Mac) and SSh commands as above, but it keeps telling me access denied even though I know password is correct. Please help

yarez0
29 minutes ago, Acemt said:

I have tried several times to get into the sever using terminal (Mac) and SSh commands as above, but it keeps telling me access denied even though I know password is correct. Please help

You need to activate ssh in dsm