LG CX TV do not support DTS audio. How to fix w Emby and Shield Pro 2019. Only need stereo.

xrqp

xrqp

Many TVs, like my new LG CX TV, do not support DTS audio, and do not pass thru the DTS on eARC or ARC.  I do not want to solve it by adding more audio tracks in non-DTS. 

I heard the Shield can convert it to PCM, which is inherently lossless.  If i recall correctly, it only can do this with stereo, due to toslink limits.  Stereo is all I want.  How do I do this with Emby Premiere?

My Emby server is on a powerful NAS.  Do I run Emby client on the Shield?  Then HDMI from Shield to TV?  Then Toslink from TV to my stereo? (My stereo has digital and analog audio inputs, but does not have HDMI).

What settings are needed in Emby client, and Shield?

Thanks.

Edited by xrqp

xrqp

I got it working.  I connected the Shield to TV w HDMI.  TV toslink out goes to my stereo.  Using Emby client installed on the Shield.  I don't know if there are settings needed or if it is playing DTS correctly in some automated way.   When I run Emby, pick a movie, and look at the movie's info, it shows the audio formats I can choose.  On some, i can pick from DTS or PCM stereo.  Both seem to sound the same.  The PCM stereo choice, I don't know if it exists in the video file, or if it is an Emby or Shield creation.  A lot I do not understand on the settings etc, but I am happy it is working and I can play videos w DTS audio on my LG TV (CX model).

Edited by xrqp

rbjtech

I don't believe there is an HDMI receiver involved here @RanmaCanada - I believe the OP only has a Toslink/optical connection into their sound system.  Thus they need either DTS passthrough from their TV (I don't *think* the LG CX would be passing this through) or a PCM conversion by the Shield itself (to stereo only, I don't think the bandwidth is available on Toslink to do a PCM 5.1 conversion ?.)

@xrqp - Can you confirm that the Toslink from the TV goes into your audio system, and that is the only input you have - ie you do not have any hdmi inputs ? 

xrqp

rbjtech is correct: I do not have HDMI on my stereo system - not in or out.  I only have stereo and the only inputs are Toslink, USB, and analog.   Also your guess that LG CX does not passthru DTS is correct.  And Toslink w PCM signal can only handle stereo (not 5.1 or more).  Lucky for me, I only want stereo.

RanmaCanada is correct: "If you have a Shield you should be using that to play your files, and not your TV."  The way I do that is using Emby client installed on the Shield.

After my first post, the 2nd post explains the success.

Edited by xrqp
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech

Thanks for confirming @xrqp - So I believe the Shield is converting the Audio to PCM - which the TV is decoding as Audio (you can check this by going to the top of the screen with the magic remote, and click the box that appears - it will show the video resolution and audio settings being used - it should mention 'PCM'.   The TV is then passing this stereo PCM signal out the Toslink into your Audio system, which is then converting the PCM to stereo Audio.

The only thing to be a little cautious of is the 'mix' the Shield is doing - ie is it mixing all 5.1 channels into the stereo PCM signal.  If yes, then great - but watch for low volume dialogue which is normally the centre channel, a good mix will boost this channel.

Edited by rbjtech