DirectPlay of HEVC 4K 10-bit video fails on Chromecast with Google TV but works fine on AndroidTV

markwiese

markwiese

Hi. I have a strange one. I have some HEVC 4k 10-bit videos that will DirectPlay fine via the Emby app on my Android TV, but when I try to play the same videos via the Emby app on my Chromecast with Google TV (connected to the same Android TV via HDMI) the playback fails and the Chromecast drops back (unsuccessfully) to remuxing, then streaming. I'm investing in some better server hardware to handle transcoding but that's not the issue - the issue is, if the Chromecast would continue to DirectPlay, there would be no problem, so why is DirectPlay failing?

Interestingly, I have 2 other users, both with Chromecast with Google TV. One of them is able to DirectPlay the same videos, without issue, over the internet. The other user, also playing over the internet, has the same problems as me. My Chromecast is connected via Wi-Fi but has about 500Mbps bandwidth, so that's not an issue.

I've attached logs. I tried playing Clarkson's Farm S01E01 - Tractoring at around 8:10 PM on the Chromecast then at around 8:30 PM on the Android TV. Please, help me understand why this is happening!

EmbyLogs.zip

Edited by markwiese
Forgot to mention the show and times

markwiese

I already included the server logs covering that so I assume you mean a log from the Chromecast app. Sorry, but I'm not sure how to get that log. Could you please send a link? I've already searched the forum without any luck.

GrimReaper
38 minutes ago, markwiese said:

I already included the server logs covering that so I assume you mean a log from the Chromecast app. Sorry, but I'm not sure how to get that log. Could you please send a link? I've already searched the forum without any luck.

Bring up OSD while playing, cog-wheel icon bottom right, Send Logs. 

markwiese

Unfortunately, it appears that I don't have that option. When I click the cog icon during playback, I only have:

- Quality

- Display Mode

- Zoom

- Speed

- Repeat

- Playback Correction

- Stats For Nerds

Is there something I need to do to enable the Send Log item?

GrimReaper

Hm, and when you click your User name on Emby Home screen (top right), do you have it listed there?

You have to enable this first before you can use it. Try looking for "Enable debug options" in the Display Settings menu.

• Like 1

markwiese
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

You have to enable this first before you can use it. Try looking for "Enable debug options" in the Display Settings menu.

Thanks! That was literally the only one of the 5 settings categories that I didn't look at, earlier 😆 I now have the Send Logs option. I'll try it out with the problematic video as soon as I can. I appreciate the help, folks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, markwiese said:

Sorry, but I'm not sure how to get that log. Could you please send a link?

Hi.  There was a link in my request but I guess you've found it now :).

On 7/5/2021 at 10:18 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you please send a log from the app from playback after it starts transcoding?

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
markwiese

Hi. Just to follow up on this, I ended up connecting my Chromecast directly to my Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar which then passes the video to the TV and the problem went away. I think it's safe to say the TV was misreporting compatibility (most likely audio) which was causing the failure. I advised the other user who was having the problem (also using the same brand of TV) to try connecting their Chromecast to the soundbar, too. I've also added a couple of GT710 cards to the server to help with transcoding. Everything is working perfectly, now.

Thanks for the help, anyway, folks! 👍