More Chromecast Problems

Netbug
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Netbug

Hey, all.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S9 as my primary control device and a Chromecast Ultra as my primary viewing device.

Over the past several months, getting media to cast has been taking longer and longer to start (for example, an episode of The Good Fight took about 4 minutes to start, The Tomorrow War has been trying to play for 18 minutes, and Zack Snyder's Justice League takes about 12 minutes to start).

On all other mediums (web client in Chrome, on the android app itself, etc) it works fine.

Watching what's happening on the server, it seems to be starting over and over again.

Any idea what's going on here?

Logs attached.

Thanks.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-3eff22c8-5c4c-45cb-896c-a050f35dd71a_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-05935401-568c-48c0-b4ae-be5a2f273ac0_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-cea87617-aabb-4600-beb3-e6092635e1f3_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-ee225d7b-5226-4f57-9967-9ea4d581395e_1.txt

• Solution

Hi, this is due to having to burn in subtitles, which is a resource intensive operation for your server. 

Can you try either turning the subtitles off prior to playback, or using external text subtitles instead? Our subtitle download features can help you acquire external text subtitles.

Netbug
On 7/4/2021 at 9:33 PM, Luke said:

Hi, this is due to having to burn in subtitles, which is a resource intensive operation for your server. 

Can you try either turning the subtitles off prior to playback, or using external text subtitles instead? Our subtitle download features can help you acquire external text subtitles.

Thanks, Luke

May I ask why it's primarily affecting the Chromecast? It doesn't seem to affect the Android app nor my LG TV (which I assume is also Android); are they not needing to be burned in?

I'll dig into the subtitle download features.

Netbug
On 7/4/2021 at 9:33 PM, Luke said:

I've been trying to setup automatic subtitle downloading. Is there any way to see what, if any, subtitles have downloaded after a metadata refresh other than manually checking movie folders? Is it in the logs somewhere?

Logs would be the place to look for them.

Scheduled Tasks->Download subtitles

is the easy way to run this job.  If you want run the rotate log job first then this one and it will make it easy to view the log since it will be mostly sub downloads at that point.

• Like 1

You may also want to try manually downloading subtitles for one or two videos just to give it a test run.

• Like 1