Certain Videos Constantly Stutter When Played

vferg

vferg

This has been an ongoing issue for me only on the Samsung TV app.  Everything else plays these files fine.  I first noticed it about a year ago but only recently decided to try and resolve it.  First by updating the Samsung app to the latest version but still no luck.  The videos I have issues with specifically seem to be Apple TV related ones which was is the only thing that is common between them.  My Samsung app is on the latest 1.0.98, the TV model is UN65MU800D year 2017 and firmware 1290.3. Connection is wireless but connection is great and have zero issues with it for every other device in the house including this device as well outside these specific videos.  Wireless in house is from Orbi RBK50.

Video Stats:

Player: Tizen AV Player

Play Method: DirectPlay

Media resolution: 1356x678

Original Media Info:

Container: mkv

Bitrate: 3.6 Mbps

Video Codec: H264 High

Video Framerate 23.976025 fps

Audio Codec: EAC3

Audio Channels: 6

Audio Sample Rate: 48000 Hz

Attached is the server log in debug from the time when the file was being played.  I don't really see anything that stands out but I am not sure what exactly to look for either.  Not sure what more I can add, its just odd that its these certain videos.

Thank you for looking in advance.

embyserver.txt

Edited by vferg

vferg

Wow, just checked and looks like I am counting about 40.  I looked over a bunch of other shows and all the ones with issues look to be about that many, guessing Apple is really good at offering tons of languages.  I also checked some that work and I saw at least 1 that works fine with 16.  Is that the issue here?  Is there a known limit to how many before it causes issues?  Since I have only seen this issue with the Samsung app would this be a bug?

Thanks for the help on this.

Edited by vferg

What we're noticing is that the tizen video player tends to have difficulty with videos that contain large numbers of subtitle tracks.

vferg

Yup, I just confirmed this by removing the extra tracks and it worked flawlessly after.  Thanks for the help.  At least I have option if I want to watch something specific on this device now.  Do you think it will be something fixable in the future or no way to tell yet?

Thanks again

This example is direct playing. When it's direct playing there isn't much we can do to fix it as it's handled by the tizen video player, so that means the fix would have to come via a TV software update. The only thing we could do is try to workaround using server transcoding to convert it to something the TV will have an easier time with.

• 1 month later...
marauder

I have this same issue. Only shows that air on AppleTV have this issue on both my samsung TVs. Both latest Emby firmware, 1.0.97 and latest Emby Server 4.6.4

I always have them set to transcode on download and that fixes the issue. 

How do I go about deleting subtitles from the video?

36 minutes ago, marauder said:

I have this same issue. Only shows that air on AppleTV have this issue on both my samsung TVs. Both latest Emby firmware, 1.0.97 and latest Emby Server 4.6.4

Hi, are they embedded subtitles or external?

marauder
20 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, are they embedded subtitles or external?

All the appleTV shows I have, have embedded subtitles with 30+ subtitles 

SamES

It seems to be a common occurrence that Apple TV files have many, many subtitles which causes this problem.

FrostByte
11 hours ago, marauder said:

No need to reencode/transcode.  Just use a tool like mkvtoolnix to remux the file while only selecting the tracks which you need.

marauder
3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

No need to reencode/transcode.  Just use a tool like mkvtoolnix to remux the file while only selecting the tracks which you need.

Thanks I'll check it out. 

marauder

thanks for the suggestion on mkvtoolnix. I setup a quick little script to fix the issue and will just have it run on a cron. Just saw the plugin scripter-x so might rewrite it to work with that instead of cron.

I have this running on a mkvtoolnix container as my emby setup is on docker. Feel free to play with it. 

subtitle-strip.sh

Edited by marauder
Updated script with some new features
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, marauder said:

thanks for the suggestion on mkvtoolnix. I setup a quick little script to fix the issue and will just have it run on a cron. Just saw the plugin scripter-x so might rewrite it to work with that instead of cron.

I have this running on a mkvtoolnix container as my emby setup is on docker. Feel free to play with it. 

subtitle-strip.bash 1.58 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for sharing.