No actual VPN support?

Venom_1053

Venom_1053

Hi just wondering before reading 200 more hours of tuts, forums and everything else if there is anyway Emby will work outside a LAN (home network) with a TP Link AX1500 or honestly any router running expressvpn? I'll buy ANY ROUTER that will allow me to have my emby server running on ubuntu server to be seen outside of my home network. If this isn't possible.... Plex it is..

Edited by Venom_1053

Gilgamesh_48
44 minutes ago, Venom_1053 said:

Hi just wondering before reading 200 more hours of tuts, forums and everything else if there is anyway Emby will work outside a LAN (home network) with a TP Link AX1500 or honestly any router running expressvpn? I'll buy ANY ROUTER that will allow me to have my emby server running on ubuntu server to be seen outside of my home network. If this isn't possible.... Plex it is..

The latest build of Express VPN running on a router allows each device to be behind the VPN or not as you choose. So using Express VPN on a router allows exactly what you want.

There is a company called "Flash Routers" that sells routers pre-configured Express VPN. I have dealt with them in the past and their routers work fine. I would stay away from the Asus line as their wireless radios seem quite weak.

Hi, are you able to open ports on it? If so then you should be fine.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 3:15 PM, Venom_1053 said:

Check out tailscale. It will work for this need.

• 4 weeks later...
tdiguy

Only possible issue i can think of is that sometimes trying to find emby by automatic discovery over a vpn is less than desirable. If you know the emby server ip it should be no issue. Myself i have a ubiquity edgerouter set up with a openvpn and a mi box as the client with openvpn set up on that. When we go to great wolf lodge as a family i bring the mi box, and connect to the vpn and whala all our media is now playable on the hotel room's tv.