Windows 8 store app

deadspeak

discinabq

the app is ok. Need to be able to adjust stream quality. It seems to have trouble streaming from remote server on high bit rate 1080p mkv files. 

Hi, liking the app so far. Purchased it right away. Just two things I have noticed so far.

1. No genres appear in any collection?
  2. Privacy concern - User profile selection shows the last login time and date.

For #2 can that be disabled? Lastly not listed because I know you probably want to get the core stuff out of the way first. Subtitle support coming eventually?

Thanks.

7illusions

Much better.  Looking at about 700kbit/s according to the logs.  No buffering at all.

Great. I'll push it to store along with a fix for the Initial LandingPage / no connection combo.

And, a little correction in the appdescription that enlighten people about the localhost restriction.

Edited by 7illusions

7illusions

Loving the play too feature from the app so I can play to my xbox, is there any way the stream can be handed from the app, in this case my surface, directly from media browser server  to the xbox so the surface is not running 90% CPU along with the media server..?

At the moment, no.

Hopefully we'll be able to handle this on the serverside later on, but it's still just in a "pen and napkin"-state..

7illusions

will this app work with a MCE remote?

It's definetly not designed for it at, but we've managed to get some funtionality in there.

You will have to download the trial to give it a go.

7illusions

Hi, liking the app so far. Purchased it right away. Just two things I have noticed so far.

1. No genres appear in any collection?
  2. Privacy concern - User profile selection shows the last login time and date.

For #2 can that be disabled? Lastly not listed because I know you probably want to get the core stuff out of the way first. Subtitle support coming eventually?

Thanks.

Glad you like it.

As for your questions:

1. Genres is on the todo-list. It's scheduled for next "major" release

2. At the current state no. Never thought of that. Will add it on the todo list

3. Yes, subtitles, and audio streams are scheduled for next "major" release.

discinabq

It's definetly not designed for it at, but we've managed to get some funtionality in there.

You will have to download the trial to give it a go.

sweet - this could take over my HTPC   :)

• Like 1

7illusions

the app is ok. Need to be able to adjust stream quality. It seems to have trouble streaming from remote server on high bit rate 1080p mkv files. 

Luckily, we've already thought of this. :)

Just bring out the charms menu, click settings , general and then enable the "Transcode To Low Quality" - toggle swtich. It should solve the stuttering..

Edited by 7illusions

Counterfitninja

At the moment, no.

Hopefully we'll be able to handle this on the serverside later on, but it's still just in a "pen and napkin"-state..

If you manage this I'm sold... (not that I'm not already)

Logos302

I would love to buy this app but am having problems.  It insists that I'm in the United states, which I'm not, I'm in Canada.   

discinabq

One feature request i would like to have is more control over transcoding and direct streaming for video and audio formats, is that possible? like allowing pass through dts, or transcode at 720p / 1080p etc.. sort of like the web app?

7illusions

@discinabq  Something similar to this will happen in a not to distant future. :)

We still have some issues with direct streaming that we're working on, but it should be solved soon enough..

• Like 1

gthrift

@@7illusions I am getting a lot of buffering when watching remotely, even with low quality turned on.  I'm not sure if this is a bandwidth issue or a cpu issue.

I can stream the same video through the web client without issue using the highest setting for that episode (480p).

@@Tikuf is there a difference between web and client streaming when both are transcoding on the fly?

discinabq

Luckily, we've already thought of this. :)

Just bring out the charms menu, click settings , general and then enable the "Transcode To Low Quality" - toggle swtich. It should solve the stuttering..

Thanks for that! I had charmes disabled on my desktop - figured this would be in the upper toolbar upon right click. But yes, I am still seeing stuttering even on low quality. the remote server is a dual quad core Xeon 8gb ram on a gbit uplink.. my local link is a 50/10 and the latency is 30ms.

Edited by discinabq
  • Like 1

gthrift

Looking at the logs it looks like there is a big difference

The web, when set to 480p is at around 500kbits/s while the Win8 app is at 1200kbits/s on low quality.

Edited by gthrift

mce remote functionality added to this and i drop mbc like a hot coal (no offence!) .

it works wonderfully with my touchpad, problem being the wife!!

gthrift

Much better.  Looking at about 700kbit/s according to the logs.  No buffering at all.

Edited by gthrift

Counterfitninja

Loving the play too feature from the app so I can play to my xbox, is there any way the stream can be handed from the app, in this case my surface, directly from media browser server  to the xbox so the surface is not running 90% CPU along with the media server..?

Logos302

Unless I'm missing something there is no way to access any other collection Type other then Movies,TV Shows and music.  What about Adult, Mixed Content? or is there a Media Content view that I'm missing?

swhitmore

Unless I'm missing something there is no way to access any other collection Type other then Movies,TV Shows and music.  What about Adult, Mixed Content? or is there a Media Content view that I'm missing?

You're confusing 'Views' with 'Collections'. Collections are user defined media libraries, like Adult, Stand-Up Comedy, Movies, etc. Views are aggregates of the type of media in your collections. i.e. all the movies in all of your collections, all of the TV Shows etc. Also, not all collection types have their own view. Some belong to other views. e.g. Home Movies belongs to Movies, and mixed will contain multiple media types.

Edited by swhitmore