Windows 8 store app

deadspeak

Deuce911

Just wanted to say WOW, this looks fantastic.  Just got my surface last week and must say that I can not wait for this to be released.  Thanks for all your hard work and looking forward to the Beta.

This looks good!

One could also run this on their main HTPC rather than a tablet, correct?

Edited by JDizzy

7illusions

Thanks folks.

Yes, this app CAN run on a htpc.. In its curent state, it's not optimized for it though.

A WinRT app has some disadvantages, two od them are that it cannot benefit from installed codeces nor can it access networkshares and therefor has to rely on the server transcoding the media which puts additional load on it compared to a HTPC centered software such as MBT.

Counterfitninja

Hi,

If the file format is something a surface can play without codec ie a.MP4 files do they still get transposed on the fly as the movie is playing?

Hi,

If the file format is something a surface can play without codec ie a.MP4 files do they still get transposed on the fly as the movie is playing?

Yes, because of 7's second point - the RT app cannot access the files on the network.

godbodian

Well, I would like to be considered for testing in regards to the beta release... if needed.

THIS IS GREAT WORK. I THINK YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING. I KNOW SOME MAY FEEL THIS IS A DYING SECTOR BUT WITH THE WORK THATS BEING DONE, I BELIEVE DIFFERENTLY.

Great job Seven.

Would it be possible to use the RT app without a router.

Here is the scenario. I have a Surface Pro. I can run the server side on it, and it will be fast enough to do any transcoding. I can even plug in a hard drive in the USB port.

When I travel and I'm on a plane, I don't have access to a router, but I would still like to see my movies. I know I can access them directly by opening the folders, but I would like to have all of the metadata and pictures.

So kind of like using localhost as the server address.

7illusions

Here is the scenario. I have a Surface Pro. I can run the server side on it, and it will be fast enough to do any transcoding. I can even plug in a hard drive in the USB port.

When I travel and I'm on a plane, I don't have access to a router, but I would still like to see my movies. I know I can access them directly by opening the folders, but I would like to have all of the metadata and pictures.

Actually, localhost will work just fine after running a tool like this. http://loopback.codeplex.com/

SilentAssassin

How well does MBT work with touch? Wouldn't that be a better option?

Actually, localhost will work just fine after running a tool like this. http://loopback.codeplex.com/

If I could get into the testing of this app, I would test this and report back.

So far i still use MBC the most, but I'm still playing with MBT and I have also tested the iOS app.

It is trully remarkable, thanks to all of the developers for the good work.

Using the loopback program works quite nicely. It is good to have a touch interface and still be able to play local media.

I might be thinking of a niche, but to me this makes the surface, or any other windows 8.1 tablet better than an iPad for consuming media. I can access it from the network server when at home, and when I travel I can take quite a lot of media with me either in micro SD cards or in an external hard drive, so I can play as many movies as I like.

For those of you who wanna test the real deal.

http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/app/media-browser/ad55a2f0-9897-47bd-8944-bed3aefd5d06

Thanks for all your work testing this out and to all your feedback which made the app alot better!!

Hm, i installed trial and it not playing anything.... I got connection, collection also, but when it should play got error?!?

7illusions

Hm, i installed trial and it not playing anything.... I got connection, collection also, but when it should play got error?!?

Do you get a playback failed message  on the screen?

What kind of file are you trying to play?

And on what kind of hardware are you running the server?

7illusions

Can We Switchh audio and sub title , if yes how?

ty

No, not yet.

It will be a little bit further down the road. (A qualified guess would be sometime in January)

Nice!

Looking forward to playing with it this afternoon.

Nice touch by adding the "PlayTo" option. I'll be curious to try that as well.

Keep up the good work.

CFC