Can't Stop an Audiobook and Come Back to the Resume Position

JeremyR

JeremyR

FIRST, I love the way Emby Theater is changing! Screw love it all.

Second, when I listen to a book on my PC as I am doing other things, I can stop and start fine. I stopped the book and killed Emby on the PC. I walking around so I picked up my phone, started Emby expecting to see my book on the opening page... nothing. I found it in audiobooks, but it showed no resume.  I have used the resume on the Android phone version all the time and that works.  So I played and fast forwarded, stopped, exited, killed Android Emby, killed all caches, restarted Emby, Resume is there.  So I went back to my PC, no resume. You can't resume at all. You can fast forward, click ahead, but kill the app and you lose your position.  I would expect to save the position to the server so I can pick up where I was at as with movies. I can go to any device and resume on any movie.  This happens on Emby Theater PC, Emby Theater ROKU, Emby Browser, and Emby Theater Firestick (had a friend test it.) The last two have some additional foibles but are less important to me.

Also the next song buttons, along with shuffle and mix, are useless for a book. Just removing them is fine since I can click anywhere on the bar. Some of this may have made more sense when books were off of CD, but most of my books are monolithic MP3 any more.

Another little thing why you are updating the next time would be instead of songs, maybe audiobooks for labels in Audiobooks.

If you need a beta tester you have one right here and maybe a second.

Hi there, can we please look at an example? I see no problem testing from the web app.

JeremyR

start emby. Load an audiobook. start it. jump to anywhere and listen for 1 second or more. kill stop the player, kill tab or exit emby nicely. Start emby theater again. select book, no resume. No resume transfers to Android app where this feature works. So the PC Emby theater and the browser theater don't create a resume pointer.

Can we please look at a specific example using the information requested here:

Thanks !

JeremyR

Luke,

pick a book, play the book or select a point on the progress bar and play from there, hit the stop button at the bottom of page, goto home, select same book, no resume. 

It works this way in PC Theater or browser. I should be able to come back to a book at the last point I played it. The picture below is what I see on Chrome, Vivaldi, Opera, or Edge after I have followed the sequence above. It's as if I never played it.

If I use Android app, I can resume. I would expect my current stop point to be recorded to the server so I can resume on any device just like I can with movies and TV shows.

I am not trying to be obtuse. I read the post above.

If you need the server log for this can you tell which on it is. Also there are no errors. All browsers up to date. Emby for Window 1.1.359. server 4.6.4

audiobook..PNG

Edited by JeremyR

JeremyR

So what do you need from me to get this fixed? I read you "what we need to know"  you sent. I think I have put all that up.

Are you saying, Luke, that you can play a book, exit emby in a browser, come back to the book and resume where you left off?

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, JeremyR said:

, that you can play a book, exit emby in a browser, come back to the book and resume where you left off?

Yes

image.png.a63085138fa8955d7e2a96ad26c7140a.png

If you can not then a server log showing that session will be needed.  And a verification of the Library content type.

Edited by Happy2Play

JeremyR

Thanks Happy2Play. I have NEVER Continue Listening for Audio Books. I just get Newest when I pop into the library.

I killed the library and remade it. I have attached a picture of that

I have also attached image playing with the time. and added the log for that time.

Emby Library.PNG

Emby Playing with Time..PNG

embyserver.txt

Edited by JeremyR

JeremyR

Happy2Play, I found what you displayed on my home screen. I realized yours must be on your home page. On my home page It is further down the page, in fact just displaying the top of the text and I did not see it. When I do click there I get the book page with the resume on the page as I would expect. I used that to play from the resume position and it worked just fine. I then went to home and entered the same book via the Audio Book library and selecting the same book and that route does not show resume, unlike movies and series.

Edited by JeremyR

Happy2Play

What format are your books?  Something just doesn't look right with your images.

image.thumb.png.b500ba805ddab3ddc5b3fea77c15016b.png

JeremyR

MP3. BTW, they do resume from the "continue watching" on the home page, but not from the book page. They play fine on a generic mp3 player on my pc. 4916475_FileStructure.thumb.PNG.ae3161bb07511d8671ebdabf456cd62a.PNG

signal and the noise.PNG

Edited by JeremyR

JeremyR

So if I got to the book in the Continue Reading section that I had not looked for until it was brought up here, I do see the Continue button as Happy2Play shows above. My normal path is through Hompage>books>search>book which does not show a resume. I also didn't get a Continue list on the AudioBook library page until recently. I have listened to more than 20 minutes on three books and only see on "continue playing" on the audiobook  library page. If I select that one book, there is a resume. On movies and series I get a resume if I have watched that movie or episode regardless of path.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

@Lukeis there any other way to see Continue Listening it beside the Home Screen Continue Listening Row?  I am not seeing anything via the library itself.

If you know where you left off you can click that item in the library and it resumes (depending on what play button you select) but there is no indicators via Library.  No Continue Listening row in Suggestions either.

I guess folder view sort of does as it does have a indicator.  But that could be a lot of navigating.

image.thumb.png.cae907067e0960c49c951f2091ca8577.png

No way to see or know resume of chapter 4 (besides I guess the Played indicators).  So the Play button will start over with chapter 1, while clicking chapter 4 will resume where you left off.

image.thumb.png.13372703c9fa593506418e89fb0661f1.png

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

JeremyR

My books don't have chapters. They are a single MP3 file. My overall hope is that Emby would work with MP3 Audiobooks like it does with movies or series episodes, no matter what path or device I use, I have a resume function once I have started or played that Audiobook. If I use any movie, I can get to it from the "Continue Watching" on the Home Page or Library Page or Movie Page. I can move from my PC or Roku or phone and transition to another device with my resume position tracked. I also get consistent posting to the "Continue Watching" on both the Home Page and Library Page, this is not true with Audiobooks. So far I have only seen one book out of 6 I have listened to in the "Continue Listening" on the Library Page. I have seen about 4 out of the 6 on the "Continue Listening" on the Home Page. Some of those disappear when I listen to a book by reaching it via the "Continue Listening" route on the Home Page even though I am not done with the book. All of this seems to function fine on the Android App, but I cannot listen to a book on my PC then stop playing on my PC by hitting the stop button on the player and then pick up my phone and continue because there seems to be no time of play update that the phone can use.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, JeremyR said:

My books don't have chapters. They are a single MP3 file. My overall hope is that Emby would work with MP3 Audiobooks like it does with movies or series episodes, no matter what path or device I use, I have a resume function once I have started or played that Audiobook. If I use any movie, I can get to it from the "Continue Watching" on the Home Page or Library Page or Movie Page. I can move from my PC or Roku or phone and transition to another device with my resume position tracked. I also get consistent posting to the "Continue Watching" on both the Home Page and Library Page, this is not true with Audiobooks. So far I have only seen one book out of 6 I have listened to in the "Continue Listening" on the Library Page. I have seen about 4 out of the 6 on the "Continue Listening" on the Home Page. Some of those disappear when I listen to a book by reaching it via the "Continue Listening" route on the Home Page even though I am not done with the book. All of this seems to function fine on the Android App, but I cannot listen to a book on my PC then stop playing on my PC by hitting the stop button on the player and then pick up my phone and continue because there seems to be no time of play update that the phone can use.

I am testing everything from pc and have no issue via Continue Listening on PC/Roku/iOS.

But only view with a Resume button is opening via Continue Listening or full navigation from folder view..

image.thumb.png.b311bf9deb58f19376368b9351c643af.png

image.thumb.png.dd2db3028d9cc4ef7b26b231bef9064d.png

1 hour ago, JeremyR said:

Some of those disappear when I listen to a book by reaching it via the "Continue Listening" route on the Home Page even though I am not done with the book.

Do you have examples and what buttons appear and are selected.

But the only way for a book to be removed is reaching Library set resume point to be considered played or click the play at different levels.

image.png

JeremyR

Above after Luke's last try and your first, Laurence Krauss above is what I get on my PC, theater or web, if I use Home>Audio Book>A Universe from Nothing.  That's after playing it for 10 minutes. Clicking on the square stop button, clicking on home. If I scroll down I may or may not see it on continue listening on Home Page. Now if I click on Audio Books, I don't see it on "Recently Played" or "Frequently Played" with Suggestions as context. 

So to make my steps clearer, I have loaded 4 images. On showing Home Page with Book there. It has green progress bars. Great. Next is going to book from home page. The Continue button is there. Next is after returning to Home and going to Audio Book Library, It is at Suggestions context and does not show the target book. I did recently start the book shown, but I have done that on five other books, too, including the target. I then click on Books and click on target and get the next image, no continue.  Now I go back to Audio Book Library with back arrow and click on Author, select Laurence Krauss and the last image shows no continue. Again this is true on three different browsers or Theater, on my server or my friends server. 106344561_EmbyHomepage.thumb.PNG.c972fa05fe72bbfaaf1192d0df71cea7.PNG287223565_EmbyBookpagefromHome.thumb.PNG.fad3dbe590d1221326e17308bccec964.PNG1933079805_EmbyAudioBookspage.thumb.PNG.3fa13799c19ee6df711efd38fea2a017.PNG501592812_EmbyBookpage.thumb.PNG.d747cb31f8cfbeed9b2f7976b11bd3b7.PNG721910938_EmbyAudioBookAuthorspage.thumb.PNG.7f296fe8dcb7e55ac92b0e49d55efaa2.PNG

JeremyR

Happy2Play, just saw on the Author's page that the book is considered a single song, which makes sense, but I wasn't noticing the progress bar and that I could click there. The terminology/context is confusing. Thinking of it as an album I can see what is happening. I will take a look at Martha Wells where I have six books. But I hope my ninnering is clear. I also thank you for your patience and time. 

So here is multiple books and I remember building this list of books for this author because the Albums were in the wrong order and I could not fix that. I guess I added this as a song in an album? I had played All Systems Red before I modified the page, but I don't remember any green progress bars... Though I could be wrong on this.

Just "listened" to All Systems Red" and it is showing a progress bar under Songs below. 

So using back arrow, went to Authors page and then it went to Home Page (it skipped Audio Book Library), so Home Page>Audio Book LIbrary>All Systems Red is the second picture. No Resume.

532990830_EmbyAuthorsPageMultipleBooks.thumb.PNG.5f19c85d9a7dfce0297c5f072c985532.PNG616481856_EmbyBookPageASR.thumb.PNG.cd6a98c1dc96ec45cd62944ca2cfc4ad.PNG

Edited by JeremyR

pinkfamily7

Not to pile on... but I'm also having a small issue with Audiobooks resuming-- does resume not work if you have it downloaded to local device?  I seem to only get a resume option if I am streaming the book.  I can understand, after a sorts, why I can't resume listening on my PC after listening to a downloaded version on my phone, but I can't seem to resume on my PHONE after I stop listening on my phone (say, to listen to something else temporarily in Emby) with a downloaded version.

JeremyR

Making sure that the staff knows where issues are is good. Not a huge team from what I can tell, and they ask for feedback. If I understand you correctly you are basically getting what happened to me.

I use an Android phone and Android tablet and I do have resume if I go HomePage>Audio Books Library>book which I do not get on a browser or theater. But the times do get saved for Continue Reading on the Home Page and under Author's page. I need to sit down and go through all the cookie trails and map the outcomes..

Side note, I don't  use the Continue functions under home page audio books page, movies page,  or tv series page (HomePage>Library page>Continue). I should but on my phone I don't see them unless I scroll and choosing the specific media from the library page or search is easiest for me. I will have to try the other routes. 

I  need to verify that I do get the updated position on my PC after listening in to an audiobook and viceversa. I hadn't checked that.

Edited by JeremyR