Roku Ultra app ALWAYS defaults to display suggestions, can't turn off, want default to folders instead

Bingie

Bingie

Hi all, 

I'm new here, been using Emby Server for only a few weeks, so i'm still a noob, still learning.  Thank you for your patience!

The web client is displaying correctly, when I select "Movies" or "TV Shows" from web client home screen, goes straight to folders.  PERFECT!

However, the Roku app (current) on Roku Ultra (current), no matter what I set on emby server or the roku settings, every time I select movies from home, it goes straight to suggestions.  How do I force it to default to Movies or folders instead?

The problem is, my mom is over 80 years old, so I have to simplify the interface as much as possible.  She says the screen is too busy, and she gets easily confused.  I turned off every option to simplify.  The main/home screen only shows button for Movies, TV Shows and Music Videos.  Press a button, like Movies, I want it to go straight to folder, so she can browse the collection.  Same with TV shows.  Instead, they both default to suggestions.  From there, she can't remember to "go down" to see the rest.  She keeps watching the same "you were watching" stuff over and over again, and she is frustrated, and will stop using it soon, if I can't make it easier to use.

The web app displays fine, but it's the roku app (current) on the new Roku Ultra (also current) that won't cooperate.

I'm hoping this is a simple setting that I have overlooked.

Thank you for reading, and I appreciate any help!!!!!

• Like 1

When logged in as that user and on the grid screen you can press the "Star" button on your remote or navigate to the little gear/cog in the top right corner by the clock. It will produce a menu. Inside are choices for "Application Settings" or "Set Default Tab". You want to choose set default tab and you can choose your landing. After making this change it will act as you desire.

We need to have some kind of dialog box prompt users that they can perform this action. You have to just press buttons to discover this. We need some text probably to explain. Apologies we aren't more intuitive in this regard.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

Bingie

I have been thru the app settings dialog a dozen times, I don't see any option to set default for the secondary screen.  I've tried every option in those menus.

2 minutes ago, Bingyyyy said:

I have been thru the app settings dialog a dozen times, I don't see any option to set default for the secondary screen.  I've tried every option in those menus.

Make sure you are on the grid. Enter the "Movies" or "Shows" or "Albums" view tab. Now press "Star" and you can find it. Apologies again we are lacking. We try to understand how users discover these things. But sometimes we need to point the way. We will do better. We have to do better.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Bingie

omg I'm a dork, didn't see the "set default tab" LOL

Working now, thanks!!!!!

btw gratz on Emby, it's amazing, I subscribed to premiere, even though I don't need those features

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gilgamesh_48
1 minute ago, speechles said:

Press the "Star" button on your remote or navigate to the little gear/cog in the top right corner by the clock. It will produce a menu "Application settings" or "Set Default". You want to choose set default and you can choose your landing. After making this change it will act as you desire.

We need to have some kind of dialog box prompt users that they can perform this action. You have to just press buttons to discover this. We need some text probably to explain. Apologies we aren't more intuitive in this regard.

While the current system is not really intuitive I do not see where you could add a dialog box to the current screens or even an "informative" information listing pointing to the functionality.

However it might be good to change the text that comes up so it better reflects what "default" you are choosing.

When you first land on the grid:

( information icon here ) Tip: Did you know?  You can set a default landing tab on this "grid screen" by using the Star (star button icon here) on your remote. Try it. [ Got it button here ] [ Never show these again button here ]

The Roku app lacks "Did you know" and we need to include them. Have a setting where users can disable "Did you know" and they can permanently disable them in the dialog itself. The "Did you know" would only appear once or twice on each screen and once a user saw them they would not appear again. It would be the visual clue. Without these visual clues users never discover these unless they push every button. We can do better.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Gilgamesh_48
On 7/1/2021 at 1:30 PM, speechles said:

The Roku app lacks "Did you know" and we need to include them. Have a setting where users can disable "Did you know" and they can permanently disable them in the dialog itself. The "Did you know" would only appear once or twice on each screen and once a user saw them they would not appear again. It would be the visual clue. Without these visual clues users never discover these unless they push every button. We can do better.

I thoroughly detest any unasked for interruption of my browsing or viewing even if it is information only.

Maybe there could be a little and I do mean LITTLE indicator on the home screen that messages are available and even that should be able to be permanently hidden. While I do understand the desire people have for more information about changes and updates but, unless it makes old habits unusable, there NEVER should be anything that interrupts my use of Emby or hides anything on the screen.

If people want to see such crud they should be able to do so but those that do not want to see such should never have to see it and they should not even have to "dismiss" any popups. Popups are almost always bad for me and I NEVER want to see any.

If you decide to put such a feature in the app and believe that it is needed for everyone to see it at least once then provide a way to hide ALL future popups right on the popup itself. I, and others, should not be forced to plod around in the menus to turn off an intrusion that we never asked for in the first place.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48