TP-Link 8-PORT 10G DESKTOP/RACKMOUNT SWITCH TL-SX1008

Carlo

https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/soho-switch/tl-sx1008/v1/

https://www.newegg.com/p/0XP-001U-00776?Item=9SIAFVFEWH1244

Have any of you guys seen this new unmanaged 10Gbps 8 port switch? At $350 it's probably not a bad price for 8 10Gbps ports.
It does auto-negotiation for 5-speed (100Mbps/1G/2.5G/5G/10G) connections.

It uses standard RJ-45 copper (not fiber) and can work up to 5Gbps with Cat5e and and 10Gbps with Cat6A or better cable.
It would probably make a nice home backbone switch if you don't need managed features.

It's not available in the US yet but Newegg can ship it from Canada.

There is also a 5 port version which is the TL-SX105 model.

I'm thinking of picking up 1 or 2 of the 8 port versions.

• 2 weeks later...
rbjtech

Personally, I think that is a lot of money to invest in an unmanaged switch.  Being unmanaged, it will be missing basic features expected on any decent 10gig switch - vlan support for starters..  

Yes but the Trendnet switch is a $1000 switch or roughly 3 times the cost.

Not everyone needs a managed switch for home use which is why I posted this.  I've not seen a cheaper 8 port "backbone" home switch. Plus it also does 2.5 & 5Gbps as well and will use typical RJ45 Ethernet most people would already have run.

May not be the best option for everyone but may be right for some people.

Take for example I have some servers in my basement but I do most work upstairs and have 2 WD NAS and a Synology NAS upstairs as well as both my Comcast and  Verizon FIOS service.  Short of running multiple wires for each device to put them on the same switch this is an easy way to pickup 2 boxes and put one in the basement and one upstairs and have 10Gbps between floors with plenty of ports for typical home use so any and all 1Gb connections can "talk" full speed.

rbjtech

I guess my view is if you seriously need 10gig day to day, then you probably want to invest some time into understanding networks properly.

It's a bit like replacing a 4 pot motor with a v8 supercharged monster - sure, it's gonna go fast - but I bet you it don't corner, get good mileage or stop without other modifications ... 😆

Just my personal opinion Carlo - and being a network guy for many years, I still have yet to see the need for 10Gig in a home environment.. ;) 

Edited by rbjtech

Spaceboy

i use this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087XD1J88/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its essential. emby on a windows pc and all media on 2 synology nas's. as files are fairly continuously being moved to the nas, emby scanning new media and streams going back the other way i would often get buffering with high bit rate 4k films. adding this switch solved that.

i can see the appeal of the TPlink. fan noise bothers me to the point that i had to change it on the zyxel. the only managed capabilities of it that i use are LACP

10 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I guess my view is if you seriously need 10gig day to day, then you probably want to invest some time into understanding networks properly.

It's a bit like replacing a 4 pot motor with a v8 supercharged monster - sure, it's gonna go fast - but I bet you it don't corner, get good mileage or stop without other modifications ... 😆

Just my personal opinion Carlo - and being a network guy for many years, I still have yet to see the need for 10Gig in a home environment.. ;) 

To me this is two different features.  One being manageability and another raw port speed. Not everyone needs both so if you can get a switch for half the price that has only what you need there is something to be said about that for SOHO use.

6 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

i use this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087XD1J88/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its essential. emby on a windows pc and all media on 2 synology nas's. as files are fairly continuously being moved to the nas, emby scanning new media and streams going back the other way i would often get buffering with high bit rate 4k films. adding this switch solved that.

i can see the appeal of the TPlink. fan noise bothers me to the point that i had to change it on the zyxel. the only managed capabilities of it that i use are LACP

That's about $575 US which isn't a bad price at all for an 8 port 10Gb switch that is managed and also supports 2 SFP+ uplink ports. Funny that you mention LACP as that's really the only "smart feature" I use at home as well on my switches. I like having smart switches but don't use much of the feature set at home on my own network compared to corporate work.

Funny that you mention fan noise because I was thinking this.  TP-Link has the 8 port with low sound fan and a 5 port with no fan.  I was thinking the 5 port for upstairs and the 8 port for the basement.

I too run Emby on Windows with both direct storage and a few NAS and file servers supplying media.