How to make big pause icon and artwork disappear?

turntablejunky

turntablejunky

Hi everyone, 

First of all, forgive me, if I'm reposting something that was already addressed.  I could not find it myself.

Second of all, I must say; I do love the new Media Browser - it really does kick ass!

Now, onto a little bit of nuisance imo.

Whenever I pause a video, I get this big ugly pause icon in the middle of my screen.  Not only that.  I also get to see the cover art, as well as the title of the movie.  As if I didn't know what I was watching.  LOL.

My question is, and if at all possible.  Can I get this pause icon in a smaller format?  Can I remove the cover art?  I don't mind the title bar though.

53fc002f26797_mediabrowser2.png

My version of MB.

53fc00489ee00_mediabrowser.png

Would appreciate any help in getting this resolved.

Thank you,

Andrej

• Like 1

The above is correct but it will take you back to the old, ugly WMC interface for playback and you will lose some functionality like visual chapter seeking, end time display, synopsis display (from our metadata) and our special zoom modes (which will support an anamorphic setup without messing up the overlays).

turntablejunky

Thanks guys.

So without losing other beautiful aspects of MB3.  How does one go about making the (ugly) giant pause icon smaller.  Furthermore, I would like to prevent my display from dimming during the pause mode.  Also, still want to get rid of the movie cover art from being displayed in the bottom left corner, as I know what movie I have selected to watch.  Don't need the reminder by the cover art.

Appreciate your help.

The only thing you can do is turn off the custom interface.  All of those aspects are a part of its design and are liked by most users.

turntablejunky

Got'cha!  Thanks for your efforts.

Cheers,

Andrej

Edited by turntablejunky

Sometimes we pause our movies and tv shows to look at something (or someone) specific in the video. Like "Who is that guy? What do we know him from?" and we have fun trying to figure it out without looking it up.

We disabled the custom interface after using it for a few days for many of the same reasons turntablejunky has put forward here. I personally like the "old, ugly" interface because it is simple and uncluttered. I can understand why people like the custom interface, it is just not ideal for me. I get all of the posters/logos/eyecandy I need while browsing and the playback interface should be all about the media itself. I'm not trying to criticize the custom interface, just putting my opinion out there.

So, there is a simple path for me...use the old interface. ;)

• Like 1

Tranquil

I like thew new one much more then the MCE one. :-)

Just to give another opinion right here. But hey, maybe a new skin update of chocolate will give you more ability to configure this interface? Seems like a feature request. :-)

abstract

This is really a matter of personal preference...

Personally, I love WMC and it is a real shame that Microsoft were too short-sighted to give it any attention. IMO it is the best live TV/PVR solution out there and the development of Media Browser has allowed WMC to enjoy continued success to this day. However, it will inevitably die a death.

Re: interface - I think "old, ugly interface" is unfair - it was clean, light-weight/simple and functional. I have no complaints about it, quite like it and it worked perfectly well.

The new MB interface is very nice, and further to some initial updates/beta releases, now works very well. I love the artwork (at start-up) and is very functional - the new zoom options were required and work very well.

BUT (again IMO) it is a little too imposing. It could be scaled back to be more simple and use less real-estate. Pause icon not a big issue for me - but, having read the comments above I could imagine numerous situations when it would become an issue - many users will occasionally rewind/pause to check a still in more detail/identify an actor/look at an image/letter etc.

Bit of a catch-22 for ebr and the team - there will be people on both sides of the fence. For simplicity you can disable the new interface, but maybe this will be a matter of seeing how the interface organically develops in response to feedback and needs of the community.

• Like 1

TheShanMan

Sometimes we pause our movies and tv shows to look at something (or someone) specific in the video. Like "Who is that guy? What do we know him from?" and we have fun trying to figure it out without looking it up.

+1. It would be really nice if you could turn off the pause image and the dimming. I don't always pause to take a break from what I'm watching. I pause to look at something more closely on screen. The image and dimming pretty much kill the ability to do that, yet I don't like the idea of going back to the old interface. A configuration option to disable this sure would be nice. I don't mind the cover art, title, timeline bar, etc though because those elements go away after a moment.

• Like 1

breezytm

Interesting. When I see someone in a movie that I think I recognized I wait until I finished watching the movie and navigate to cast and find out who it was or read the cast at the end of the movie. 

Edited by breezytm

Interesting. When I see someone in a movie that I think I recognized I wait until I finished watching the movie and navigate to cast and find out who it was or read the cast at the end of the movie. 

I would completely forget by the time the movie was over. ;)

It is usually TV shows we are doing this in though, now that I think about it.

TheShanMan

For me it's not typically to try to identify an actor. It may be to pause a football game to get a closer look at something, to identify something in the background of a TV or movie scene, etc.

iam4uk

Just noticed the option to turn off the huge pause symbol and dimming, while keeping the new player UI.  Great work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
turntablejunky

Aweosme!  Is this part of a recent update, or was that option always there?  Maybe I just didn't see it before.  Anyway, now I can take proper screenshots, without all the extra stuff.

Cheers!