Cannot play series, possibly due audio?

fanuser79

fanuser79

I am a big Bosch fan... I've downloaded the show (I also have Prime membership, but I want to use Emby) and was hipped to watch. I am using Synology NAS as Emby server and Samsung TV app on my TV as a place to watch. The release was 1080p, with 6 ch audio (I just have 2.1) and it is unwatchable. Sound and Video is stuttering, choking. I had to download 480p version just with 2 ch audio to be able to play it. I am wondering if the sound is not the case. I was trying to find a log for this in the server, but I can't see it anywhere. I am in the dark.

1080p version is H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1), 1920x1080; codec: A/52 B Audio (aka E-AC3) (eac3), canals: 3F2M/LFE, freq: 48 kHz, 32 bits for Stream 1, Stream 2 to 36 are Text subtitles with various tags (subt)

480p version is H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1), 720x400; codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a), freq: 48 kHz, 32 bits for Stream 1, Stream 2 and 3 are Text subtitles with various tags (subt)

Another interesting thing is I am able to play that 1080p version on my notebook Emby (from Microsoft Store) flawlessly. I have problem with the Samsung TV version (it is updated, I have the last version of the app) - it is a 2018 55" Q7F QLED 4K TV, my NAS to TV connection is 2,5g to 100mbit by cable (so the speed isn't the problem), maybe just the codec?

Thanks in advance for helping me

Happy2Play

You can PM logs if you do not want them on the forum as devs will have to see if they see anything in the logs..  Then all appropriate individuals will be added to the pm if needed.

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, faggot79 said:

so I can PM it to you directly?

Yes and I will add Luke and possibly SamES.   But nothing stands out to me in the log besides external connections failing (timing out) but that should be unrelated to playback.

fanuser79

send...

I just dont get it, because as I said, i can play it flawlessly on my comp and mobile.. i dont understand why the tv app have a problem with it as a direct play

SamES

I have seen issues on Samsung TV's with files that have lots of sub streams.  You didn't mention if the file was mkv or mp4, but can you copy the file to a new container with less subtitles?  If it's an mkv then MkvToolnix works well for this

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

fanuser79

I tried one file (those are mkvs)... I "cut off" 90% of subtitles and tried it on samsung tv and it seems it works... plays flawlessly... is it a problem you guys knows about? is it something you will address in future?

SamES

It seems to be a limitation of the device, and when Emby DirectPlays it basically gives the whole file intact for the tv to play. Unfortunately the easiest option is for the user to manually strip out some subtitles. 

• Like 1

fanuser79

maybe would help if the samsung app noticed me when a videofile have this problem, just to len me as a user know whats up and what to do...

it doesnt have to be able to do everything, it just needs to let me know "hey man, if this do that" when I want to play such file

SamES
36 minutes ago, fanuser79 said:

maybe would help if the samsung app noticed me when a videofile have this problem, just to len me as a user know whats up and what to do...

it doesnt have to be able to do everything, it just needs to let me know "hey man, if this do that" when I want to play such file

Unfortunately it's not a situation that we can detect in the app.  Some files don't have an issue with lots of subs as it depends on lots of factors, so there's no easy way.

I suppose it lets you know by being "... unwatchable. Sound and Video is stuttering, choking."