Vox Commando and Mediabrowser

lja

jitterjames

Maybe wait until you are feeling better. :P

It could just be that the mic sucks on that model, or it might be too loud.  Try holding the phone at arm's length when giving a command.  The tendency with a phone might be to talk into it like a phone and that usually ends up being too loud.  The SR engine likes pretty low volume for some reason.  You can also reduce the volume on the TcpMic plugin settings.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
flexage

VoxCommando seems really cool, a friend recommended it to me a couple of years back but i never found time to really get a comfortable set up running.

The MB3 integration has me running to my wallet to purchase a licence!!!

I've had a play with the latest trial beta and I've gotten to grips with the way it works, configured some extra keywords on the start/pause listening commands, and set some tasteful little sounds for start/pause/stop/recognised events.

I've memorised a good deal of the available actions, and am able to run round the web dashboard in a rather fluent fashion, so far I'm really impressed.

The only thing stopping me from shoving my money crazily at the developers face is that I'm having an issue with getting it to control Media Browser Theater.

From what I've read here on the forums, it seems like nearly everyone who's tried it with MBT gets good results.

I should probably mention that the web dashboard on my main HTPC has been set as the default client in the VC MB3 plugin, and that there are 2 instances of MBT on my local network (installed on separate boxes).

On my set up, I get the following blocking issue, I issue the "launch media browser theater" command and sure enough MBT loads on my main HTPC (which is where VC is installed as I couldn't get it to run on my server under 2012 R2), it logges me in to my MB3 user account, and vox commando tells me in a lovely female voice that it is "Connected To Media Browser Theater".

However this is where my journey ends... not a single command that I give is actioned within MBT, I know i'm using the right commands as I've tested them against the web dashbaard, and if i tell VC to switch back to the web client, my commands start being actioned again.

It's very bizarre!!!

Have I missed some announcement about getting it to work with MBT at all? Or if not, why could this be happening and where do I start to try and fix it, lol?

jitterjames

Hi Flexage.  You mentioned that you have 2 MBTs running on your network.  It sounds like it is probably connecting to the other one, although I'm not sure why you wouldn't notice this.  In any case you can probably solve the problem with a minor adjustment of your command.

It helps to keep in mind that the preset configurations we ship with VoxCommando are just starting points and most users will then customize the commands to suit their specific needs.

If you look in the command editor (click "Edit" on the main VC Window) you'll see a group named "MB3 Launch and Connect".

post-5347-0-04990300-1425131759_thumb.jpg

There are two commands there for MBT.  One is to open and then connect to MBT and the other is just to connect to it if it is already open.

Edit this command to see the actions that are in the macro.

post-5347-0-35132400-1425131757_thumb.jpg

This is an overview of all the actions and you can edit your macro here if you are familiar with the actions but you can get more information about a macro by clicking on the 3 boxes icon to open the parameter helper.

post-5347-0-25419800-1425131755_thumb.jpg

Notice that this action can take a Device and/or client name.  In your case you need to add the device to specify which MBT you want to control.

To find the device name of a client, use the MB3 plugin settings and look at all the clients under the server in the tree.

post-5347-0-77697300-1425132185_thumb.jpg

In the case of MBT the device name will be the network name of the computer, but different type of clients will use different conventions for device and client names.

• Like 1

flexage

Hey jitterjames,

Thanks for your detailed and informative response to my post.

Having spent some time looking at the edit panel, I can see just how versatile voxcommando can really be!

I imagine that enabling more plugins expands the reach even further!

I gave your solution a shot, making sure I specified the right hostname both both MBT launch/connect commands, but unfortunately this did not fix my issue...

This was quite strange, so I investigated further and it seems the root cause of my problem is that my MBT is not receiving commands even from the media browser server!

I tested this by going to the web dashboard, and using the remote play icon at the top, then browsing to a movie and pressing play.... the expected behavior would be that the selected movie starts playing in MBT, but instead I just get nothing, lol

So it seems that there is a deeper problem going on somewhere in my set-up :(

I'm sure once I resolve that, then VoxCommando will work just fine :)

Thanks again for getting back to me, and at such a quick pace! I'll do some more investigation!

jitterjames

If you are using a beta or dev version of MB Server then you should also use a dev version of the clients.  There was a change recently to the server that required corresponding updates of all the clients in order to remain "remote controllable".

Luckily, once you figure out your problem, the information I provided should still be helpful to you and hopefully to others as well.

flexage

Awesome, thanks!

I am using the beta update channel for MBS.

I created a new entry in the VC edit panel to connect to my Kitchen installation of MBT (on stable release channel) and it worked fine, apart from some playback issues (MBT related, not VC related) which is weird.

I've attempted completely removing MBT from my main HTPC, ensuring to make sure it destroys all traces, and reinstalling, then selecting the dev update channel, but no joy.

This leads me to believe it's something related to my entire HTPC installation...

Luckily it's fairly barebones, so I'm just going to blank it, and reisinstall a fresh copy of windows to be sure, thanks to MBS running on it's own dedicated Server PC it means I can destroy and rebuild clients easily whenever I need.

I'll report back to document how I went on ;)

flexage

OK, a reinstall of Windows and the latest MBTseems to have fixed the issue...

Maybe I'd borked an inbound firewall rule or something at sometime in the past.

VoxCommando is working great! I've already started creating my own group for my custom commands in the edit window :D

I decided to name my VC "Lucy" and added a few extra phrases to common actions, as I prefer to be a little more conversant.

Every now and then I'm sure I can see a hint of jealousy of the girlfriends face, lol, I'm sure she's thinking "the damn HTPC gets more attention than I do"

I decided since I was already re-installing the OS, that I'd also try out the Windows 10 Tech Preview, and I'm happy to report that VC still works flawlessly, with the exception of an error message at start up telling me that the .net framework 4.5 is required to run vc, even though it already comes installed by default on W10TP. Simply clicking ok on the message will bring up VC as ever. There's obviously just a little issue there with VC not detecting .net on Win 10 yet, I i8magine it's quite an easy fix ;)

So I went ahead and purchased my licence, and have activated VC.

Got to say I'm really happy!

The only MB3 realated feature that I can really say I haven't found yet (or doesn't exist) is control of Live TV, it would be pretty cool to just be able to say "play channel BBC 1", as live tv is a little convoluted in MBT at the moment.

I don't know if there is remote playback support for Live TV channels yet in MBS, but if it's available, how hard would it be to implement in the VC MB3 Plugin?

All in all, this is really awesome.... I'm sending you guys cool points for developing it ;)

• Like 1

jitterjames

Yes, the Win 10 .Net thing (a Microsoft bug) is identified and will be addressed in the next release of VoxCommando.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=ChangeLog#New_updates_currently_in_progress

I'm not sure what is currently possible with live TV in MediaBrowser but this will be difficult for me to develop because I dont have access to any live TV hardware or services. If anyone knows of a way to emulate this it would help tremendously.

Edited by jitterjames

jitterjames

There certainly appears to be an issue with MBT at the moment.  I don't know if it is only when using the dev version of the server but today I have one MBT that seems to work but cannot be remote controlled and another MBT that crashes as soon as I start it.

The good news is that I installed NextPVR and managed to create some fake channels by importing some xml.  I'm not exactly sure if this will be enough but it gives me something to play with.  I don't think there is any way for me to work with EPG information, but I am hoping to at least be able to switch to a channel.

If someone wants to grant me remote access to an MBS that is connected to a working PVR maybe I can use that to test with EPG etc.

jitterjames

I decided since I was already re-installing the OS, that I'd also try out the Windows 10 Tech Preview, and I'm happy to report that VC still works flawlessly, with the exception of an error message at start up telling me that the .net framework 4.5 is required to run vc,...

This should be resolved in the latest update: https://plus.google.com/111676462313545255894/posts/ApaW5xuf34S

• Like 2

wraslor

Anyone been able to connect remotely and have vox work?  I'm trying to set it up on my laptop and browse from work but when I put in my IP (tried both direct and dns fwd) it says no mb servers were found.  I have the ports opened, can't think of anything that would stop it?

jitterjames

Unfortunately, it's not possible with the first release of the plugin, but I hope to add the possibility for the next release.

jitterjames

Neither MB Theater nor XBMB3C for Kodi can be remote controlled any more.  Android never could be.

That leaves only MB Classic and Dashboard.

I'm not able to test any other clients.

• 1 month later...

I don't beleive that's true. I just tested a number of remote control commands with Emby Theater, sending from the web client:

- play

- resume

- play multiple

- send on screen message

- directionals

- home

- search

all worked as expected. So I would ensure you're on the latest versions and it should be fine. 

jitterjames

Actually in theater I think you can play some items such as playing a movie, but that's about it.  No browsing etc.  I haven't tried other things like pause, play, volume, but maybe they work.

Thank you. I've pushed out an Emby Theater update that resolves the browse command not working.