Windows 11 thoughts

Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Any thoughts on Windows 11, my insider build just updated.  Didn't think it would as the compatibility tool showed the i7-6700 was no supported.  But think there is more latitude pushed into the Insider test group.

But looks like Windows 11 created a TPM module shortage as everyone appears to be out of stock.

Takes a little getting use to the new layout.

CBers
18 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Takes a little getting use to the new layout.

Any screenshots you can post?

Gilgamesh_48
21 minutes ago, Sammy said:

I read that the TPM Module might not even be necessary..

If that is really true then I "might" upgrade my main computer. Of the three Windows computers I have that take part in my day to day activities only the one running my main Emby server has TPM so the other two will not upgrade unless I buy and install a TPM module.

At this point I do not see the need. I am not really worried about getting out of date as I am pretty old and my body is failing me so I probably will not outlive Windows 10's usefulness.

I will be investigating Linux just in case I outlive my expectations. I believe I can configure a system or two under Linux that will do what I need for day to day work but I really do not wish to put out the effort unless I really have to.

From what I have seen Windows 11 does not have any must have features so not upgrading will not be a problem except for the end of support that will come sometime after 2025.

That is I do not intend to upgrade right away and I may well never upgrade.

roaku
47 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Ya, supposedly nearly all recent cpus have on board tpm that meets the requirement.*

*For some definition of 'nearly all' and 'recent'.

rechigo
On 6/29/2021 at 2:44 PM, roaku said:

Ya, supposedly nearly all recent cpus have on board tpm that meets the requirement.*

*For some definition of 'nearly all' and 'recent'.

Yeah most do but it usually you have to enable it in the BIOS first from my experience and what I've been told

On AMD boards you want to look for a technology called fTPM and enable it, for intel boards I believe it's called PTT (or was it TPP?). Once you enable the respective technology, your machine should have Windows 11-capable TPM support.

On 6/29/2021 at 11:54 PM, Sammy said:

Nope, it need it for AMD and Intel based CPU's.

Well, if your cpu do not supported, you still have support from Microsoft till 2025 as we all been hearing from Microsoft, and normally Microsoft words worth nothing.

I been testing on vmware for sometimes now, as Happy2Play said, it it need to be get used to the layout and the features and a like.

For whom like to keep theirs PC/hardware till 2025, then do not upgrade, or simply switch to Linux/bsd :)

DarWun

Initially Microsoft stated that without TPM 2.0, you would not receive Windows 11 when it is officially released. But Microsoft revised their documentation to clarify that TPM 1.2 was the "hard floor", and TPM 2.0 was the "soft floor". If you don't have TPM 2.0, you'll get a warning that installation of Windows 11 is not recommended. But as long as you have TPM 1.2 it will install. But that may have changed again. An article I just found on PCWorld identifies that as of yesterday Microsoft removed the "soft floor" wording. The author of the article takes this to mean that TPM 1.2 has been removed as a minimum requirement and only TPM 2.0 PCs will be eligible for Windows 11. I haven't checked to see what the new wording is myself.

My motherboard has a TPM header for a module. If I could find one on-line (which I can't...the part was discontinued a couple of years ago and a google search does not turn up any vendors), I'm still out of luck. The CPU requirement is Intel 8th gen or higher. I have a 3rd gen i7 4960X six core CPU in a PC primarily used for 1080p gaming and digital content creation. Even with the Spectre and Meltdown patches it is plenty fast enough for my needs. And based on my recent experience with the insider build of Windows 11, it is plenty fast enough to run Windows 11. Some are speculating that the minimum CPU requirement is just a "soft floor". But I don't believe Microsoft has officially weighed in on that yet.

Regarding my first impressions of Windows 11, so far I don't understand the need for it. Some specific thoughts:

• The UI improvements and settings app consolidation are things that should be updated on Windows 10 to provide the OS that Microsoft promised when it was first released.
  • The File Explorer updates are underwhelming, and there is still not tab support.
  • The biggest change for me is the taskbar and the start menu implementation. And in my opinion, Microsoft has botched that royally. The taskbar has been dumbed down tremendously. Most of the customization options have been eliminated. Height of the taskbar can't be adjusted (except with a registry tweak that breaks the system tray), system tray icons can't be removed, toolbars can no longer be added, and the location of the taskbar is locked to the bottom of the screen.
  • The start menu just shows pinned apps in a single group. Clicking on an "All apps" button at the top of the start menu shows all installed apps. No more grouping apps, live tiles, or folder support. 
  • At the bottom of the start menu there is a recommendation section showing recently accessed files. But so far I haven't found it particularly useful as it is not automatically updated to remove files deleted from the system. As with jump lists in Windows 10, there doesn't seem to be a way to "reset it". You have to manually click on each deleted item to remove it from the list. And it appears to have a long memory. I started removing items, and the list repopulates. Right now it is showing files going back to February 2021, none of which are on my PC anymore.

It's still early so lots could change. But based on my early impressions, I'm more than fine sticking with Windows 10 until support is dropped in 2025. 

Edited by DarWun

Gilgamesh_48

After further extensive research I have firmly decided that I will NOT upgrade? to Windows 11. It has nothing I really need and some things i really do not want.

Windows 10 will last what I have left of my life and, even if it does not, only one of my three main computer even might be eligible for the upgrade? and it just does no seem worth it. I will be more likely to switch to some form of Linux in the next few years because Linux will not require new, fairly expensive, hardware.

There are a few programs/tools that I rely on but, after consideration, there seems few, if any, of those tools/programs that I really "need" that do not have counterparts in Linux.

We will have to see what happens but I believe that it does not really matter for me unless I live a good deal longer than I expect to.

gillmacca01

Just tried installling on my zenbook 13, and at first I got a screen with 2 options - troubleshoot your PC or shit down your PC.

When rebooted, I still had windows 10

arrbee99

Trying ebr's Android for the Shield might be interesting to try on 11...