Can't stream from Android TV or mobile device

SlayerXT

I've just started playing this back on web and Android TV and the file is playing back fine on both so far.

Based on the fact you say you are getting errors with other files this leads me to believe it's not the media but a network or server issue.

Can we see your server log file with playback of this file in it?

SlayerXT
On 7/12/2021 at 1:39 PM, cayars said:

I've just started playing this back on web and Android TV and the file is playing back fine on both so far.

Based on the fact you say you are getting errors with other files this leads me to believe it's not the media but a network or server issue.

Can we see your server log file with playback of this file in it?

Yeah, it's like the file that I first had this error with and it like happened in after like 10 minutes of the episode and then even happened
again when everything just randomly works smoothly and this episode crashed in the same exact frame like in the first time.

But yeah, like I said, this is something that just happens every time now with every file I have there, except for random cases once
in a few days that suddenly it just works and I manage to maybe finish one episode of 20 minutes or so, or just watch something
for like 15 minutes before it again freezes.

embyserver (2).txt

Anyway, here is the log from my desktop PC (the server), after I tried playing this exact episode on the Android TV.

Can you turn off debug logging in the logs menu.  You should only turn this on when needed to read specifics as it otherwise clogs up the logs and makes them hard to read.

Can you turn that off then try playing something back again that causes the problem, then upload the new log file?

SlayerXT

embyserver.txt

Ok so I turned off the debug logging and played the same file.

Weirdly enough, this time it worked fine for like a few minutes before the first freeze, and every time it froze this
time it wasn't for like 5-10 seconds and then 5-10 seconds working... it froze for like 30-60 seconds then worked for
maybe the same time before freezing again, the the file just crashed and the app restarted. Weird.

Edited by SlayerXT

This server log is still full of debug logging.

I tried to make my way through it anyway and it looks like it transcoded due to incompatible audio.  Your file only has 6 channel audio.

Was there an ffmpeg log associated with this file when playing?

But like I previously mentioned the file you sent over plays correct for me so it still seems like it's a network error as @ebr found in your app log.

SlayerXT

I can try playing the file again and exporting a new log file when I come back home from work in a few hours, maybe it'll be helpful.

Don't know anything about a ffmpeg log or what it means. Where can I see if I have this log?

If it's really a network problem, which i  can be cause sometimes randomly like once a week it does work fine for like an hour, what can I do to solve this? I'm really losing hope here and can't keep using the app like this.

It's weird though since in the beggining it really didn't work not in the Android TV streamer and not on my Samsung Android phone but now it works fine on the phone, which I guess means network is fine? so can it be linked to the Android TV update that happened? I'm really losing hope here and don't want to go back to connecting HDMi cable to my PC, etc.

SlayerXT

embyserver (1).txt

So I tried playing on the Android TV once again and exported the log, hopefully it'l be without the debug logging.
because this option is turned off for me.

Still don't know about that ffmpeg log that you said, or what else could I do to solve this, if it is a network issue?

SlayerXT

BTW, I tried now to play that problematic Workaholics S01E03 episode that I sent you guys on
my Android phone app, and though it mostly works fine If try to watch it or even play different parts
of the episode, but it crashes the app at the 8:16 mark, the same way It did on the Android TV streamer,
so that's weird.

But even when I tried once to just remove that episode or season from my Emby library it didn't help. 

Log looks good without the debug lines.  I don't see any errors or anything in the server log.

Can you try again using the Android TV app sending a log file (report time and users) so ebr can take a look as see what errors if any are being reported on the client side?

SlayerXT

I just sent the log at the time of 00:22 UTC (here in Israel's timezone its UTC -3)
And my Emby server username is PhilipXT (server name is Philip-PC).

Before I tried disconnecting the LAN cable and then connecting the Android TV streamer via wi-fi and everything seemed to be working smoothly. Then, I returned the cable and it kept working properly, but a few hours later now I just tried playing something again (with the LAN cable) and it freezees and has the same issue as before so it's really weird.

My desktop PC (the server) is connected to the router with an ethernet electricity adapter with one in the room where the PC is and one near the router in the living room, so I thought maybe this somehow affects the network, but then again, why would it work fine on wi-fi? plus I changed nothing at all and just a few weeks back it all worked fine.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:28 PM, SlayerXT said:

plus I changed nothing at all

Hi.  Including nothing plugged into the power outlets in your home changed?

SlayerXT

Yeah, I changed nothing, not with the internet connection, not with the power outlets.

Do you think It might be something to do with the powerline network electricity adapter that I use to
connect my desktop PC to the router through the power outlet?

1 hour ago, SlayerXT said:

Do you think It might be something to do with the powerline network electricity adapter that I use to
connect my desktop PC to the router through the power outlet?

Impossible to say for sure but that is a large wildcard in the equation IMO.  Can you eliminate it temporarily to test?

SlayerXT

So, today I finally got the time and chance to go our and buy new powerline ethernet adapets
to try to replace the ones I have cause they're kinda old and you guys said it something that
might be connected to the errors I get, plus I don't have any other way to connect my desktop PC
to the router except a really really long cable or buy a Wi-Fi adapter cause it has no Wi-Fi, but anyway
I got those new TP Link powerline adapters and for now since I started using them like an hour ago,
everything seems to work find like in the old days, so I'm really hopeful that it resolved the problem,
though I would feel stupid that I've been trying everything and bugging you guys about those errors and all
and in the end it's something that has to do with my network equipment.

Still haven't tried that cursed Workaholics episode that started all those problem, though, so I need to see if
it is a cause for problems or not, but for now I tried a few episodes of shows and it worked fine.

Anyway, I'll update if it continues to work properly.

Thanks

Edited by SlayerXT
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So after almost two months of everything properly, today I started getting that same problem I had which every like 20-30 seconds it freezes dor like 5 seconds and then continues playing the episode.

Thing is that a few hours ago I watched the same show and it all worked smooth, and while having the freezing frames in the middle of the next episode, someway through the middle of the episode it just started working smoothly. The next episode it was smooth for like 10 minutes and then back to the freezing, and I feel helpless again.

Tried restarting the router, disconnecting the network power adapters (those new ones that I bought that solved the problem) and then reconnecting them, force stop the app and restaring, but nothing helps.

Any idea what it could be this time?

Is there any way to clear cache or anything like that? Is that could be the problem?

Seems like a network problem but it just kept working smoothly and back to freezing without me changing anything with the network settings and everything else connected to the internet worked fine.

Any other computers on the network can suck up WIFI or power adapters bandwidth so that is something to keep in mind and check as well.

Have you looked at any kind of real-time data usage with these devices when problems like this happen?

I thought about that so we disconnected our two phones in the house from the wi-fi and the laptop also but nothing changed.

It just randomally either freezes like every 30 seconds for like 5 seconds, sometimes randomally after longer intervals like every minute or every few minutes and sometimes it just works smoothly for a while, and I can't figure out why.

I noticed today it only happens when I watch Survivor and not other shows I have on Emby, but it's just regular 1080p webrip mkv format.

Haven't looked at any real time data usage. Where can I see that?

When I checked my internet speed now it was like 37mbps (usually I get 70-80 on this up to 100mbps package), so it's pretty low but other shows I stream work just fine.

The easy way to determine if this is likely network wifi related is plug the notebook into the network with an Ethernet cable and see if it still has an issue.