Downloads failing to start

HansWurst

HansWurst

I have troubles on using downloads and sync.

Problems occur with newest emby server on Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e.

Download to internal storage seems to work (btw: where is the download target (folder)?).

Download to "external storage (SD-card)" seems not to work properly (But I am still figuring it out). There ist created an empty folder /internalstorage/emby_downloads/videos/FilmName. Anyway the movie is watchable, don't know, where the film is saved. In the file manager of the device there ist no more memroy used after downloading (neither in the internal nor in the sd-storage). At the moment I can't understand that.

Download to "external storage (downloads)" is failing to start after converting on the server.

I tested it on my phone as well (Google Pixel 4a). When setting Download to external memory (Dowloads) it puts the file into internal memory/downloads (the Pixl has no SD-card).

Any suggestions? How does emby adress the memory of the device? What is internal, what is external?

Thanks.

Hi, the devs will need to know the version of each client being used.

Internal should be the phone/tablet's built in storage while external is the sd-card.

MBSki

@cayars so it seems multiple users are having issues. I don't know why you and Luke can replicate the issue, but why are there multiple reports of downloads not working?

MBSki

@cayars I think I figured this out on Android at least. External storage (i.e. public folder) doesn't work. It fails every time. Have you tested with the public folder?

I haven't tested to external on android as I need a new sd-card. :(

MBSki

Ok, no problem. That does seem to be the issue though. Possibly the same for Windows. What directory did you save to in Windows? I can't seem to find a directory that works.

HansWurst

Hhm.

I am still doing some testing on this. On the phone it works, on the Samsung Tab S5e (Android 11) I am still struggling with it. Using "External" (without "Downloads") seems to work sometimes, the movie is saved in a directory deep inside the SD.

I will go on and report back.

MBSki
50 minutes ago, HansWurst said:

Hhm.

I am still doing some testing on this. On the phone it works, on the Samsung Tab S5e (Android 11) I am still struggling with it. Using "External" (without "Downloads") seems to work sometimes, the movie is saved in a directory deep inside the SD.

I will go on and report back.

How about using internal storage? Is that more likely to succeed?

HansWurst

Internal works, but this "workaround" won't fix the problem because there is not enough space left in internal memory.

MBSki
23 minutes ago, HansWurst said:

Internal works, but this "workaround" won't fix the problem because there is not enough space left in internal memory.

Agreed. The issue definitely seems to be external storage. It doesn't work for me either. 

@Luke@cayars It seems we have a bug here 

HansWurst

OK. I did a bit of testing.

Dowload without chossing SD/Downloads works.

It puts the files into \Android\data\com.mb.android\files\emby_downloads\Videos\ for movies and L:\Android\data\com.mb.android\files\emby_downloads\TV\ for TV-Shows.

I checked it by putting the SD into the PC. Problem: The TV-Show can be played offline the movies not:

After starting emby offline and choosing "Downloads", I find this:

Bild1.thumb.jpg.0bb67e766d92d74ed3c6a6e0d6832b7f.jpg

Going to Movies I will get this:

Bild2.thumb.jpg.b70f0034bcd7c6d8d6e574146b789590.jpg

All "testdownloaded" movies occur. So far so good.

But after tabbing on one of the movies I will get this screen:

Bild3.thumb.jpg.e56f0dbc7c9cd5ee5e1af9b330eeb3fe.jpg

As you can see you perfectly see ... nothing.

No idea what the problem is. The files are there, they are shown in the download-section (after changing the SD-card older movies dissapeared, of course) but I am not able to play none of them.

Edited by HansWurst

HansWurst

One more information. One of the movies (kingdom of heaven) does indeed start. When I tab on it, I'll get the information page and can start it. When choosing the other films, nothing happens.

Furthermore there is a difference when watching the films in emby online. In the information page of "kingdom of heavan" I can choose between download and "online" version in section "media information" I can find the download location of the file AND the online location on the server.

At the other downloaded films there is no download-location (folder) provided but the film is shown as "downloaded" at the button.

Very strange. But what to do? Delete anysthing, data and cache wipe of the app and download again?

HansWurst

OK reporting back again after doing even more testing.

Devices for testing:

- Galaxy Tab S5e

- another S5e

- Pixel 4a

Results:

It seems, as if it is not possible to download more than one content of one "source" (TV or movie).

When downloading more transcoded files than the behaviour which I reported by the screenshoots above occurs. When I download files without transcoding them ("original") and there is already a downloaded file of this source (TV respectively movie) than the stream doesn't start ("Wiedergabefehler - Derzeit sind keine kompatiblen Streams verfügbar. ..." something like 'playing error - no compatible streams available"), means, I can see the information page of the downloaded movie but I am not able to start it anyway.

Every of the downloaded files works absolutely correctly, when I copy it out of the android system directory and try to play it with the normal android player. So emby-server itself transcodes and shrinks the files absolutely fine.

Obviously there is a problem with handling those downloads within the emby-android-app. And considering the Pixel has no external memory it seems to be not a problem with the targeted memory.

Is it possible, there is a setting anywhere I did wrong? It seems to me tha other users don't face such problems.

If you've enabled the option to download to external storage and that's what's causing this, then it should be resolved for the next update to the app. Thanks.

HansWurst

Hi Luke. A am not sure about that because one of the devices (Pixel) doesn't have external memory?

Is there a beta to test it? Or is the update coming up soon?

HansWurst

Anyway. Found the solution: Download Handbrake for windows, transcode the files to the size you need, copy them to your device and don't use emby for it.

• Haha 1

MBSki
On 7/8/2021 at 10:44 AM, Luke said:

Ok please try again with the next update to the app. Thanks.

@Luke this at least downloads, but when I put in an episode limit it doesn't acknowledge the limit. I entered 2 and it downloaded 6. Also, remove download doesn't work. I have to manually delete.

SmartSelect_20210710-143818_Emby.jpg

• 1 month later...
HansWurst

Feedback from me: It seems to work now (even if I wasn't able to use it in my holidays because I departed too early).

Thanks for solving the issue.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 7:29 AM, HansWurst said:

Feedback from me: It seems to work now (even if I wasn't able to use it in my holidays because I departed too early).

Thanks for solving the issue.

Thanks for the feedback.