Using embedded music metadata Styles

snacks03

snacks03

My apologies if this has been asked already. Could the Style tag in embedded music metadata be filterable in the Genre area?

For example, I could select 'Electronica' within genres, and then a filter option would allow me to filter House, Disco, Trance... This could prevent genre cluttering for large collections

358462303_Screenshot2021-06-26044608.thumb.png.926ee89fdf2696e801cc4a2db73b5d12.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

snacks03

This link lists the different styles in each genre: https://blog.discogs.com/en/genres-and-styles/.

Other Examples would be:

Electronica (or Electronic) a main genre. House, Disco, Tranced ect..  used as a style/sub genre.

Jazz as main genre. Swing, Fusion, ect..  used as a style/sub genre.

Rock as a main genre. Punk, Metal, Grunge, ect.. used as a style/sub genre.

If the user has tons of Rock albums, but only wants to see Punk albums, they could filter that genre to show Punk Rock music with that style filter. I can understand that most people would opt to genre their music as the style, which works when a collection is only that genre or a few genres.

But if a large collection spans many genres and their styles, 1 of 2 things happen:

a. All styles lumped together into main genre with no way of finding filtering for specific style (ex: Folk rock with Punk Rock)

or

b. All styles listed as genres, which then you are endlessly scrolling for the style you wish to find.

Edited by snacks03
further explination

Vicpa
23 minutes ago, Luke said:

Thanks for the info. Yes that's possible for the future.

Hi @Luke

Good News!.  I use style tags as well.  Currently I have been using the emby custom tag feature for styles.  To eliminate any UI changes,  I would be happy if emby could read embedded "style" tags and just add them as an  "emby" custom tag value.

For example

embedded tag "Style: Bop; Hard Bop"    (a couple of Jazz styles)

emby "tag" Bop. emby "tag" Hard Bop

with emby being tag driven it would add greater portability/permanence to music related info as it would be embedded in the track. 

style is pretty common across many music genres, so would have broad use. But could also allow user's to create their own "tags value" that emby from the track.

To simplify things even further I have noticed that emby writes custom tags to nfo's with the "style"  designation.  

to recap:

1) no UI changes, use emby's "tag" framework.

2) no db changes

3) no nfo changes

4) change - read embedded style tag map to internal emby "tag"

Anyway just one opinion.

Thanks for consideration 

-vicpa 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

@Luke 

Can you consider this, in conjunction work with tags?

For example

embedded tag "Style: Bop; Hard Bop"    (a couple of Jazz styles)

emby "tag" Bop. emby "tag" Hard Bop

with emby being tag driven it would add greater portability/permanence to music related info as it would be embedded in the track. 

style is pretty common across many music genres, so would have broad use. But could also allow user's to create their own "tags value" that emby from the track.

To simplify things even further I have noticed that emby writes custom tags to nfo's with the "style"  designation.  

to recap:

1) no UI changes, use emby's "tag" framework.

2) no db changes

3) no nfo changes

4) change - read embedded style tag map to internal emby "tag"

Thanks

-vicpa

So the tags should go to the track or the album? Should we put these into tags or should we just have a style section?

• Like 1

Hi,

I think they should be similar to genres. At the track level and roll up to the album. Basically, consolidating unique tags at the track level and applying them to the album.

I would just put them in tags for now.

Hi @Luke

I have thought some more about this.

1) What I want to be able to do is shuffle a particular tag and get a random playlist of its content. Hopefully "style" tags being stored at the track level (that's the only place you can put them) make that easier. But I would like to be able to shuffle other tags that would be at the album level (in my case in emby only) like "Grammy Award - Best Rock Album". Movies and TV and other media tags would be the same. A random play/watch list. For example "Academy Awards - Best Picture" maybe you want to watch them in random order. Shuffle them save the playlist and you are good to go.

2) So I am still thinking put audio "style" tags into emby tags, the play/shuffle functionality is need there anyway. If that makes sense to you

Thanks!

-vicpa

Putting them in tags is fine. I just want to make sure it is the right choice and not the convenient one. What are some other music apps that use the style tag? How do they present it?

snacks03
3 hours ago, Luke said:

What are some other music apps that use the style tag? How do they present it?

From what I've researched:

Plex displays style tags on the albums page and can sort through style tags on its main music page BUT from what I've seen the genre & style are pulled from another database, not the users

1219389959_PlexAlbumStyleTag.thumb.png.14d9011586d68bfcf17b3c7053e232c9.png

938132449_PlexStyleFilter1.png.4f2aea3fd6e2f6786273eb6c6075892a.png

502735377_PlexStyleFilter2.png.ba2eb2fd5a5101cb1893b10f5b8acd18.png

JRiver Media Center (paid media manager) can use style tags

926951714_JRiverStyleTag.thumb.png.6ca95733be7741911a14e22db8505d15.png

iTunes does not use style tagging

Winamp does not use style tagging

wordlover

I already have essentially this functionality, by using multiple, comma-delimited entries in the genre tag of each of my music files and the nifty Smart Playlists plugin @ShaneP has created. I can create different playlists for Piano, Jazz Piano, or Avant Jazz Piano, because I have (for example) some tracks tagged with Genre as "Jazz, Piano, Avant".

I think if people are going to expect these to be called Style, then we should probably have a dedicated category for that rather than Tags.

Hii @Luke

Maybe a little different but thoughts on "Style" as Type of Tag ? You would have to add type to the tag format. Display it how/wherever, but on the "Tags Tab" group display by type. Types could be a more generic as work for movies & tv as well as music.

-vicpa

• 1 month later...
Vicpa

Hi @Luke

Given that I am sure that a scan will be required to capture "Style" tags regardless of how this is implemented. I am hopeful that something can be done prior to the next Release.

In my use case this would also mitigate emby not reading album.nfo's. Currently I am updating my music tracks with style tags using Picard, that will generate an emby scan it would be great if they could be captured in emby. no vested interest in how- mapped to emby tags, a new field etc.

Thanks

-vicpa

If people in the music world call it style then it seems like that's what we ought to do instead of putting them into Tags. That means it will be a bit more work and that's why it is waiting, but I'd rather not stuff it into Tags just out of convenience alone if that's not really the right way to go.

• Like 1

Vicpa

Hi,

I understand. Like I said I am all about shuffle and play functionality.

Some of it is a timing issue for me. I rebuilt my library.db when 4.6 was released, knowing it would blow away my existing style tags (stored in emby tags at that time).  I am gradually adding them as embedded tags (Huge task).  I just don't want to have to touch the files again. 

37 minutes ago, Luke said:

If people in the music world call it style then it seems like that's what we ought to do instead of putting them into Tags. That means it will be a bit more work and that's why it is waiting, but I'd rather not stuff it into Tags just out of convenience alone if that's not really the right way to go.

I think of "Style" as a well recognized additional way to categorize music. I don't know about other taggers, but in Picard and Foobar it is not a standard/default tag.  

Data wise. Styles seem to be a mixture of genre specific types (Genre: Jazz, Style: Hard Bop) and more generic cross genre things like Vocal, Acoustic, etc.

Logically they need to be grouped together.

I use Discogs to get my styles tags. I have no clue how they came up with the list.

-check with some of the emby members for their  thoughts

-vcpa

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2022 at 4:06 AM, Luke said:

This is a good topic of discussion for music lovers...

From researching various music management systems (Emby, Roon, Plex, etc) and music databases (musicbrainz, allmusic, rateyourmusic, etc) it is very common for music to be categorised as:

• Genre (major generic music type) e.g. Rock
  • Sub-Genre / Style (underlying detailed music type) e.g. Texas Blues Rock
  • Mood / Descriptor (how the music makes you feel) e.g. upbeat
On 4/3/2022 at 5:22 AM, Vicpa said:

Logically they need to be grouped together.

Yes, I think Genre and Sub-Genre / Style do need to be grouped together with one above the other, as in many use-cases it is a hierarchical tree-like relationship between the two, giving a two-level genre mapping structure (though it can be very individually subjective). I expect some people even use more than two levels of categorisation/mapping?

I like the term "Sub-Genre" better, but wouldn't be bothered if "Styles" was adopted and implemented.

The Mood / Descriptor term is perhaps one that could be left as Tags because it doesn't neatly fit within a genre/style structure and is much more subjective?

At the moment I just use mp3tag to embed genre tags into albums (and hence the underlying tracks) as: Genre; Sub-Genre  in the Genre field so they appear together in the current Emby scheme of things. 

• Thanks 1