CoverArt HDDVD cover support broken?

turnkit

turnkit

My NAS was down for a while and I finally got it back up and upgraded from 4.5.something to 4.7.0.3.

When I went in to look at things I saw that all the really cool HD DVD covers were gone.  It was one of the main things I immediately could see that Emby could do that Plex didn't so this really is disappointing.

Is this a known issue and to be expected?  Could CoverArt 4 bring the HD DVD covers back?

Here's my settings but they don't seem to be applied anymore.

p.s. how are items identified as being "HDDVD" items??

image.thumb.png.56fdf4ae7ce004d9dc954244cdb071af.png

Edited by turnkit

Hi.  Nothing here has changed in a very long time as this format has been gone forever.  Did you have to re-generate your metadata and did not have NFO files?

I think you might have to tag these items specifically with "CA-HDDVD" for them to get that cover.

turnkit
On 6/26/2021 at 6:46 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  Nothing here has changed in a very long time as this format has been gone forever.  Did you have to re-generate your metadata and did not have NFO files?

I think you might have to tag these items specifically with "CA-HDDVD" for them to get that cover.

Thanks for the tip.  Where do I go to tag them?

All I know is that last year (longer?) when I last had the NAS running when I'd go in to Emby, all the HD DVD's had the red HD DVD outline.  But now I don't see the red frames which is sad because I really liked this unique feature which Plex doesn't have: I could see the HD DVD folder of movies I've ripped really are all "a set", i.e. they are all HD DVD.

I really don't understand the fixation people have by saying the media is outdated and therefore shouldn't be supported.  Movie collectors collect all sorts of formats.  The fact that they aren't being sold retail seems very irrelevant to me.  Just my two cents.

turnkit

I found where to tag them but it doesn't make a difference.

Really disappointed as a I had done work to get that folder to display with the HD DVD frames and then apparently somebody felt older media should no longer be supported so good features, features that motivated me to purchase were just tossed out.

Was it really such a hassle to leave in features for an older format?   Does anyone here have the power to put the feature back in?  That would be fantastic.

Edited by turnkit

Sorry but that is a format that died before it ever really got off the ground.  The server stopped recognizing it several versions ago because there was no way to play them and virtually no one had them anymore.

Trying to keep all defunct features active in the product can bog down and hold back future development and make maintenance much more difficult so we have to make decisions like this sometimes.

turnkit

HD DVD uses VC1 and MPEG2 just like Blu-ray discs do, so you really aren't making sense. 

And the older discs still play fine on the older players just like DVD's do.  They still rip just fine too - just like DVD's!

Why was the feature ever added if it was to be removed?  It makes no sense.  The media file on a computer doesn't stop working because the format is not being sold in stores.

There's a real wonky sense here of how users might want to be using the cover art frames.

I'm done trying to ask for it to be re-added if this is the kind of response I'll get. 

I can respect the fact that there might be some work on the development side to support oddball frames, but there's obviously little respect for the end user's time when I go through and learn a new interface, deal with tagging and grouping, then have all that work thrown out because the developers think a format dying means media files won't play anymore.  Doh.

It's not an airport so... I'll just say, I'm moving back to Plex.  Super disappointing.  Will let others know what to expect.

Edited by turnkit

turnkit

And if the developers are going to clobber features why not remove them completely?  As seen in the screenshot above users can still set the default for a collection to be HDDVD.  For what reason?  Who knows?  Just to provide false hope apparently.

turnkit

Also, if you are going to tell me I need to tag them for something to work, then I ask "where?" it's pretty bad support to then say, "oh, we removed all that, because 'old things.'"  

Why suggest tagging will fix anything then refuse to tell me how to do that?

3 hours ago, turnkit said:

HD DVD uses VC1 and MPEG2 just like Blu-ray discs do, so you really aren't making sense. 

Once this is ripped to an mkv file how does Emby know it was an HD DVD file and not from a Blu-ray or web rip?

turnkit

I believe it was supported via tags.

Or, as I had done, I had a folder which is my HD DVD collection and as you can see in the Cover Art settings above, I told Emby to use the HD DVD frame as a default for all the videos found in that collection (in that folder.)

Worked great until someone decided HD DVDs were "too old." (But apparently DVDs are not too old even though they came out first.)  Just narrow-use vision.  Is a red frame really that hard?  Maybe I am misremembering what the cover art did -- perhaps they were scans of the HD DVD unique artwork.  Still, seems kind of petty to drop support for that since we know there are a fixed number of HD DVD titles and art out there.

Once you ripped it to a different container it is no longer an HD-DVD.  This support was carried over from the old Media Browser and was implemented when HD-DVDs actually did exist.  Over time, we had pretty much no one with this format anymore so we stopped looking for it.  I'm sorry this has caused you issues but we do have to pare down things to the functionality that 99% of our users need.

The last active discussions about this format out here were over seven years ago.

4 hours ago, turnkit said:

why not remove them completely?  As seen in the screenshot above users can still set the default for a collection to be HDDVD.

You are correct here.  That's just something we missed.  We need to remove that from the plug-in.