Update to DSM 7 has caused issues

ashtonjay

38 minutes ago, luundblad said:

i mean i removed "emby_pkg" 

OK. Did you try what I suggested?

luundblad
1 minute ago, Luke said:

OK. Did you try what I suggested?

Yes, even if i uninstall emby from the package center emby is till running in the "background" image.png.d9eeb9a8b51a7d6e3f068bd89e2e7ba0.png

Even if i removed all files thru ssh under /var/packaged/EmbyServer &  /volume3/@appstore/EmbyServer

2 minutes ago, luundblad said:

Yes, even if i uninstall emby from the package center emby is till running in the "background" image.png.d9eeb9a8b51a7d6e3f068bd89e2e7ba0.png

Even if i removed all files thru ssh under /var/packaged/EmbyServer &  /volume3/@appstore/EmbyServer

Where exactly does it say that it's running in the background? Try uninstalling and then rebooting the NAS.

Yog-Sothoth

@Luke

Hi,

I run on DSM 7 and EMBY 4.7.0.3. I view you make a new beta package 4.7.0.7 and I can't install it.

I received: this package requires dsm 7.0-40000 or older

Why???

Regards

ERROR INSTALL EMBY_NAS.jpg

ERROR INSTALL EMBY_VER.jpg

ERROR INSTALL EMBY.jpg

4 hours ago, Yog-Sothoth said:

@Luke

Hi,

I run on DSM 7 and EMBY 4.7.0.3. I view you make a new beta package 4.7.0.7 and I can't install it.

I received: this package requires dsm 7.0-40000 or older

Why???

Regards

ERROR INSTALL EMBY_NAS.jpg

ERROR INSTALL EMBY_VER.jpg

ERROR INSTALL EMBY.jpg

You are downloading the wrong package, for DSM 6. Make sure the file you download has Synology7 in the name

• Like 1

Wow, given all the issues reported with the migration to DSM 7, I might hang off doing it for a while until it gets as simple as updating DSM and downloading an Emby  package.. I don't fancy having to redo all of emby if I stuff it up (very likely with having to do putty etc.). It's working great now with DSM 6.2.4.25556 and Emby 4.6.4.0 and as the saying goes, "if it ain't broken..."

Kudos to everyone who's managed to update.

It's actually a pretty simple process if you follow the instructions.
If/when you're ready to upgrade we can always give you a hand remotely if needed, if that would make you feel more comfortable about the migration.

I thought I'd try given the step-by-step instructions..... little did I know that I'd be copying my ENTIRE library TWICE.

21 hrs and it's still "upgrading"... I hope to G, it doesn't come up with a "out of space" error

FrostByte
1 hour ago, Mick_K said:

I thought I'd try given the step-by-step instructions..... little did I know that I'd be copying my ENTIRE library TWICE.

21 hrs and it's still "upgrading"... I hope to G, it doesn't come up with a "out of space" error

You shouldn't be copying libraries, just Emby configuration files, etc.  Unless you had your libraries in the same folder as Emby server I guess.  And why twice?  There is only one copy command in putty

The whole process should take minutes, not days

Edited by FrostByte

50 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

You shouldn't be copying libraries, just Emby configuration files, etc.  Unless you had your libraries in the same folder as Emby server I guess.  And why twice?  There is only one copy command in putty

The whole process should take minutes, not days

Step 9 

cp -rv /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

Final Final Step

And yes, EVERYTHING is located in the same folder as Emby Server under "data"

Ok finally finished. Everything seems to be working but do I now have duplicate Movies folder or is one a symbolic link to another?

Folder:

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/data/video/Movies

(Optional) Shared network folder:

\\192.168.0.24\emby\data\video\Movies

7 hours ago, Mick_K said:

Step 9 

Final Final Step

And yes, EVERYTHING is located in the same folder as Emby Server under "data"

This copy step is only given once in the directions that I can see.  Where do you see it listed twice?

5 hours ago, Mick_K said:

Ok finally finished. Everything seems to be working but do I now have duplicate Movies folder or is one a symbolic link to another?

Folder:

/var/packages/EmbyServer/var/data/video/Movies

(Optional) Shared network folder:

\\192.168.0.24\emby\data\video\Movies

That is not a good place to have media.

My suggestion to you would be to create a shared folder specific for media.  On my Synology this is call "Media".  Under Media share I have my different libs.  So for example:

/Media/Movies
/Media/TV Shows
/Media/Music
/Media/Home Videos
etc

Having you media setup like this also allows use of File Station as well as mounting this share in Windows for easy access to it.

• Agree 1

FrostByte
1 hour ago, cayars said:

This copy step is only given once in the directions that I can see.  Where do you see it listed twice?

@cayarsThe other user instructions with the pictures is different and repeats the copy command in the Final step.  That probably could be redone to match yours with the pictures.  No need to do that twice if done at the right point

So, since Mick_K has his media there also it copied everything twice . 

• Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 8:52 PM, cayars said:

That is not a good place to have media.

My suggestion to you would be to create a shared folder specific for media.  On my Synology this is call "Media".  Under Media share I have my different libs.  So for example:

/Media/Movies
/Media/TV Shows
/Media/Music
/Media/Home Videos
etc

Having you media setup like this also allows use of File Station as well as mounting this share in Windows for easy access to it.

I had Emby installed on a share (/volume1/emby/) to do precisely that (mount the share in Windows for easy access to files). It made sense at the time to put media in the data folder of Emby Server. Since Emby is now no longer installed on a share, my media is as you suggested (located on a share that Windows has access to). I have also deleted the media duplicates from /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer which were copied over as part of the updating process. The only problem now is that I don't have direct access (like I did with the share) to the Emby Server files without having to use PuTTY or the like.  

On 8/22/2021 at 10:14 PM, FrostByte said:

So, since Mick_K has his media there also it copied everything twice . 

Correct. I have since moved the media library to its own share so future Emby/DSM updates don't effect it as @cayars suggested.

• Like 1

FrostByte

My point being though that there was no need to do that step twice.  @cayars own instructions don't have that step twice.  So he should remove that link and add graphics to his own instructions if he wishes :)

• Agree 1

I edited the op post of the migration instructions to remove the link to the pictured instructions as they have a few extra steps not needed and I'm fielding PMs on it.

The step by step instructions and video should be fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Help and advise needed thank you. 

I have a ds220j and recently blindly updated dsm to version 7, then found Emby did not work. I subsequently deleted the existing Emby with a view to installing the synology version 7.

When I try to manually install from package centre using the downloaded file "emby-server-synology7_4.6.4.0_x86_64",  I get the message  "This package is not supported on the platform of Synology NAS or is incompatible with the current DSM version."  . I have tried other versions with same result.

I have read it is not possible to go back to a previous version of DSM , therefore would you advise a complete reset back to factory for the ds220j or is there a step by step guide to reinstate emby.

Thank you 

Hi, pretty sure the DS220j is an ARM8 not X86/64 package.

Can you download and install that version.

Did you delete /volume1/Emby?

• Like 1

Hi Just to let you know my Emby up and running again, the Arm8 software installed with no problems on the ds220J. Many thanks for the support. 
However I did struggle with adding the library details for a while when I spotted the solution in one of your postings which was to make sure read/write for Emby was enabled in "System Internal User". It was then just a matter of adding the library paths for the metadata to be collected.

I can now settle an watch a movie. Thank you

• Like 1