Update to DSM 7 has caused issues

ashtonjay

ashtonjay

ive updated to 7.0 and for some reason i knew it would screw me over

ive had to reinstall Emby as it wasnt compatable and now i cant get to my emby (premier i might add) account that has taken me months to get right nd working as i wanted after years of stress with Plex

its like it wants me to start all over again with emby 

wheres my account/homepage

im really really pi**sed off now

weekend/year ruined 

Hi, Did you follow the upgrade procedure here in the forums?

Sounds like you grabbed the wrong version of the software if you got a message it was not compatible as we have DSM 7 versions of all our Synology Server platforms.

ashtonjay
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sounds like you grabbed the wrong version of the software if you got a message it was not compatible as we have DSM 7 versions of all our Synology Server platforms.

so what now?

is my amazing but brief emby experience over?

back to buying yet another nas?

ashtonjay

what version should i of got?

i didnt see one for synology ds220+ i just chose top one (64 bit or something)

Di

12 minutes ago, cayars said:

You didn't answer this question.  Did you follow the migration instructions in the forum for upgrading from DSM 6 to DSM 7?  This is important as there are a few steps you need to take as locations and permissions are different.

https://emby.media/synology7-server.html

It's important to choose the DSM 7 versions not the 6 versions.  64 Bit version should be fine for the DS220+

ashtonjay

where abouts are migration/uprage prodcedures

no i didnt follow them

am i too far in deep now as in emby wont work again?

i tried logging into emby on my tv and ipads and no luck

You're probably fine.

Try following the op post here:

If unsure of anything, it will be in the thread and while long, is worth the read.

ashtonjay

THANKS

i think i have basically started all over again now

i now though have 2 servers showing on my tv both with the same name (old one and new one)

how do i delete the old one?

thanks

Try a long click on one of the servers and that should give you a menu to delete/remove it.

@cayarswith the official release of DSM 7 in the next few days, I think there will be many many posts like this. The testing thread doesn't really explain how to update without losing all your previous settings. I suggest some sort of sticky post with real instructions on how to back up, install and restore previous settings and libraries.

• Agree 2

The thread I linked to has these instructions in it.

Instructions for upgrade from dsm6 to dsm7 (beta!!!) with keeping library:

- make sure, you have dsm6 and dsm7 Emby (beta) package for same version. At post creation it was: 4.6.0.35

Link for lastest versions from first post: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases

- update Emby to 4.6.0.35 dsm6 package
- start Emby and check if update went good
- stop Emby
- goto Emby share clean cache, logs, transcoding-temp (with filestation)
- uninstall Emby

- update DSM to v7

- install Emby 4.6.0.35 (dsm7 version)
- stop Emby
- remove emby_pkg user and video group

- enable ssh in Synology settings
- connect with Putty to Synology, login with admin user and get root rights with: sudo -i
- copy files from old Emby share to new data location: cp -r /volume1/Emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
- adjust owner from copied files: chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
- close putty

- add emby user and emby group to your shared media folder in Synology 
- start Emby

Emby should work fine now with old library/users.

As last step, you can remove the old Emby share.

• Like 2

ashtonjay

thanks but i basically stayed up all night deleted the nas and started again

just getting some toast now then bed

thanks anyway

2 hours ago, cayars said:

The thread I linked to has these instructions in it.

Instructions for upgrade from dsm6 to dsm7 (beta!!!) with keeping library:

- make sure, you have dsm6 and dsm7 Emby (beta) package for same version. At post creation it was: 4.6.0.35

Link for lastest versions from first post: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases

- update Emby to 4.6.0.35 dsm6 package
- start Emby and check if update went good
- stop Emby
- goto Emby share clean cache, logs, transcoding-temp (with filestation)
- uninstall Emby

- update DSM to v7

- install Emby 4.6.0.35 (dsm7 version)
- stop Emby
- remove emby_pkg user and video group

- enable ssh in Synology settings
- connect with Putty to Synology, login with admin user and get root rights with: sudo -i
- copy files from old Emby share to new data location: cp -r /volume1/Emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
- adjust owner from copied files: chown -R emby:emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer
- close putty

- add emby user and emby group to your shared media folder in Synology 
- start Emby

Emby should work fine now with old library/users.

As last step, you can remove the old Emby share.

Yes. But i don't think this covers how to copy your users, watched states etc etc to the new install. Maybe a mod could confirm this.

copy files from old Emby share to new data location: cp -r /volume1/Emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

This step is copying the old location to the new location.  This would include all config files, all databases, users, watched status, the whole cha-bang.

What your doing essentially is the same as moving it to a new NAS or other OS.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cayars said:

copy files from old Emby share to new data location: cp -r /volume1/Emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

This step is copying the old location to the new location.  This would include all config files, all databases, users, watched status, the whole cha-bang.

What your doing essentially is the same as moving it to a new NAS or other OS.

Thanks. Good to know. As DSM 7 will be released very soon, could you put a new sticky post on this forum (not the Testing Area) and add the instructions there, rather than pointing to a post in the testing area with a title saying testing, as I don't think many non-testers will look there before blindly updating to DSM 7.

Personally I'll wait a few months before updating to DSM 7 to make sure all the little bugs are ironed out (not in Emby, but other packages).

• Like 2

We're looking into a couple of ways to better convey this info.

• Like 2

richardyu301

I have made a mistake of leaving this to my friend and apparently he has fucked it up.   He said he has done (not done) below things without following all the steps:

- did not uninstall Emby in DSM6.0 and upgraded to DSM7.0 directly
- install Emby in DSM7.0 to cover the old unworkable version
- ssh for cp / chown

After I went home I opened the app and entered account name/password (my fault as I was asked to "create an account" so I should be alert something was wrong).   Now all the libraries are gone.   Is there any way to restore the settings?

If you previously had Emby running in DSM 6 you can shutdown the DSM 7 version of Emby and redo anything he missed.

Copy your existing system from the old location to the new location should get you back your data.
Not knowing if you have the same version installed I'd reinstall 4.6.3 (or later if available) version on top of the DSM 7 install as the last step.

You should be good to go at that point.  If you are still stuck let us know and we should be able to help you here or remotely if needed.

Cwebermc6677

I am very screwed as well.  I am using a mac and not good with putty.  Upgraded to DSM 7, running emby 4.7.0.3 can not see folders on my synology with my video files to "add library".  Regretting my choice to upgrade to DSM 7 

2 hours ago, Cwebermc6677 said:

I am very screwed as well.  I am using a mac and not good with putty.  Upgraded to DSM 7, running emby 4.7.0.3 can not see folders on my synology with my video files to "add library".  Regretting my choice to upgrade to DSM 7 

Did you migrate your data to the new location and change user permission?

richardyu301
12 hours ago, cayars said:

If you previously had Emby running in DSM 6 you can shutdown the DSM 7 version of Emby and redo anything he missed.

Copy your existing system from the old location to the new location should get you back your data.
Not knowing if you have the same version installed I'd reinstall 4.6.3 (or later if available) version on top of the DSM 7 install as the last step.

You should be good to go at that point.  If you are still stuck let us know and we should be able to help you here or remotely if needed.

I have tried below things:

- In Shared Folder, give read/write permission of my video folder to emby (as system internal user).  It is ok

- In File Manager, right click my video folder, choose Properties -> Permission -> click "apply to this folder, sub-folders and files" and select "emby" and save.    However, maybe the permission change process is extremely slow.    I have 60T of data (videos, nfo, poster, banner, backdrop, etc) and I can literally see each file being changed.    Sometimes it even halts and after a while it stops (the process bar disappears and not sure if being done in the background).   I have tried many times and it is the same.   I tried to see if access permission is successful by add a new library pointing to the location but failed.

***New update: I just tried again and could access the video folders now when I tried to create a new library.    I will try to follow above approach again to see if I can restore previous settings

Edited by richardyu301

richardyu301

I have done below things:

- ssh and delete everything under /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer (I had cp and chown before but failed to pull up the libraries so I deleted all to have a clean start)
- stop and uninstall Emby 7.4.6.3.0 (DSM7.0 version).  Reinstall this Emby version again
- stop Emby
- remove emby_pkg user.   I saw above having to remove video group but have not done it as not sure what this means
- ssh and copy files from old Emby share to new data location: cp -r /volume1/Emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

- add emby user and emby group to your shared media folder in Synology.   Also click "Apply to this folder, sub-folders and files" in File Manager 
- start Emby

But I am still shown the Welcome to Emby screen and asked to create the first user.   So failed again

the copy-cmd posted here is wrong: it creates /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/Emby with old files.

you should use: cp -r /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/

so it places configuration directly under EmbyServer-Folder

richardyu301
1 hour ago, alex8127378 said:

the copy-cmd posted here is wrong: it creates /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/Emby with old files.

you should use: cp -r /volume1/Emby/* /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/

so it places configuration directly under EmbyServer-Folder

Thank you. As I have already installed Emby again, do I need to uninstall/clean cache/cp/reinstall again?  Or can I simply stop Emby, cp and restart Emby?

Yes there is a space between them

cp -r /volume1/Emby /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer