Changes to Media Drive

Airsculpture

Airsculpture

Just about to install Emby on my iMac but I paused on the options for Metadata in the new Library.

I didn't want any changes to be made to my media files ( update artwork etc ) and was concerned that this would do just that. How should I set it up option wise if I don't want Emby to make changes to my files and folder structure and where then is the Emby library stored ?

Hi, Emby does not change your files out of the box unless you enable it to.

Just be aware that local artwork in your folders always takes priority, so if you don't allow Emby to save images to media folders, then you'll have a hard time in some cases being able to use the image editing features.

For example let's say you have a movie with a poster next to the video file. Then you use the image editor in Emby Server. If you don't allow Emby to overwrite that poster file when picking a new one, then it will be saved to the server's internal metadata folder. And then at some point down the line when the video gets scanned again, it will revert back to the image file next to the video.

Airsculpture

Many thanks for the reply 

So assuming I want zero changes to any media files or metadata in my library ( all artwork for music and movies etc is embedded ) once I launch the server after downloading and installing, what options do I deselect or select to ensure this is how it works ?

Do I deselect all those options on the metadata preferences page ?

Edited by Airsculpture

Defaults will be fine, and then when you add the library you get a dialog of options and I would just disable the things you don't want.

Airsculpture

Yeah defaults were fine.

Doesn't seem to ever finish the library scan of my music unfortunately 

On 6/25/2021 at 1:20 PM, Airsculpture said:

Yeah defaults were fine.

Doesn't seem to ever finish the library scan of my music unfortunately 

@Airsculpture why do you think that it doesn't finish?

Airsculpture

I have no idea why it doesn’t finish.

There are over 44,000 tracks, the progress bar doesn’t get passed 70% and the listing only ever get to R or S

It also splits some albums and I’m unable to alter Artists ( some albums show under AC/DC and others under ACDC, despite metadata being identical ) but that would be my next question if it ever finished scanning the library.

Rescanning doesn’t work either.

Depending on the size of your library it can take a while. Please attach the emby server log from when that happened. Thanks.

Airsculpture

Ok thanks for that. Eventually finished .

What about such cases as albums tagged incorrectly ?

I have some albums tagged as AC/DC and others as ACDC even though the metadata looks identical ?

I also have albums which are pebble dashed across Albums section as shown in the second screenshot

First screenshot - AC/DC and ACDC even though Artists in metadata are the same ( AC/DC)

Second screenshot, Tom Petty album spread individually as separate albums even though they all belong to the "Playback" album.

Similar issue in Album Artist tab and Artist tab as shown in third and fourth screenshot

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 11.53.18.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 11.52.58.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 11.59.53.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 12.01.09.png

Edited by Airsculpture

Airsculpture

I think perhaps this issue of incorrectly displayed metadata may be the issue on this thread 

So I may need to wait for a fix from your end on this one.

I have some albums tagged as AC/DC and others as ACDC even though the metadata looks identical ?

Have you checked the embedded information within the audio files? You probably have some inconsistencies that need to be cleaned up. Emby Server is simply showing you the data from your own files.

Second screenshot, Tom Petty album spread individually as separate albums even though they all belong to the "Playback" album.

This is also about embedded information within your files. Check the album tag and albumartist tag of each track in the album. They need to be tagged with the same values in order for the tracks to be grouped together in the same album.

A tool like Picard can help you clean these up in bulk fashion, and then you just run a library scan in Emby Server and it will pick up the changes.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Airsculpture

Emby seems to show it incorrectly but iTunes and also Apple TV shows it correctly.

Checking data , Emby showing it incorrectly unfortunately 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 10:11 PM, Airsculpture said:

Emby seems to show it incorrectly but iTunes and also Apple TV shows it correctly.

Checking data , Emby showing it incorrectly unfortunately 

@Airsculpture did you check the embedded artist and albumartist tags within your audio files?

• 2 weeks later...

@Airsculpture when you run these tracks through ffprobe, here is what it finds. Notice what I've highlighted in red:Untitled.png

You're saying that itunes displays them correctly, and I believe you, but here's the thing. A song can have multiple versions of embedded information, and it just so happens that the version itunes is checking happens to be correct, while the version that ffprobe is checking is not.

Emby is simply reading the information from within the file. If you were to use something like Picard to correct these values, then Emby would pick up the changes and you'd be good to go. 

There are lots of Picard or mp3tag users here and these are very easy tools to automate.

Airsculpture

Will give it a try. I was unaware there were multiple versions of the same metadata in files.

I will see if it cures it.

9 minutes ago, Airsculpture said:

Will give it a try. I was unaware there were multiple versions of the same metadata in files.

I will see if it cures it.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:54 PM, Airsculpture said:

Yep, worked. Thanks Luke.

Very strange.

Thanks for the feedback !