Actors are decapitated

generiq

generiq

Please fix this. All of the pictures are 16x9, but a recent change in the UI is now cropping these images (see picture).

1229955367_EmbyTheter.thumb.jpg.c81949541c2b5707e117ce60658ef824.jpg

It's supposed to look like this;

fanart4.thumb.jpg.93a15652c31e617267216eb0ed6d1206.jpg

Hi, the spotlight image there is rendered in a longer aspect ratio than 16:9, so this is going to happen.

There's not much we can do there other than I guess making it smaller and bringing it back down to 16:9. But being oversized was kind of the whole point of it.

generiq
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, the spotlight image there is rendered in a longer aspect ratio than 16:9, so this is going to happen.

Yes I know. It has not always been this way. You recently enlarged the three pictures at the bottom and changed the aspect of the main picture. It looks terrible.

No, the aspect ratio has always been wider then 16:9.

The sizing was not recently changed, only the spacing between the elements.

You can see an example in this user posting from November:

It's also 18:9 there, so I promise the size was not changed. Yes I understand that what we're doing might not work well with certain backdrop images.

arrbee99

I don't know if a remotely valid comparison, but you just take a screenshot of those two images (The Resident above and Max Steel in the link)and divide width by height you get roughly 2.66 vs 2.29, which seems different to me.

Though 16:9 is 1.78:1.

Edited by arrbee99

generiq

There's a very easy solution to this. That section of the UI is too wide. If you reduce the width and keep the aspect of the bottom three tiles, that will allow a larger height dimension for the main tile. Possibly not the full height of the image, but it should make a significant improvement. Right now, that section is taking up too much space. It would be nice to have a little more on the screen. So it would be a win win. So just reduce the size of the bottom tiles and the overall width.

generiq
On 6/24/2021 at 9:27 AM, Luke said:

The sizing was not recently changed, only the spacing between the elements.

Do you see why you're wrong?

1.thumb.png.1a671acc34ed764c44d2dd26588ad64a.png

Untitled.thumb.png.75ce99063f54079e24ed9e7cfddfdbad.png

koopa8840
2 hours ago, cayars said:

What are you trying to show in those 2 pics?

I'm assuming he is showing the spacing between the elements is the same.

generiq
3 hours ago, cayars said:

What are you trying to show in those 2 pics?

Look closely.

The top picture is from the theater download page, and the bottom is my screenshot. 

generiq
1 hour ago, koopa8840 said:

I'm assuming he is showing the spacing between the elements is the same.

No

13 minutes ago, generiq said:

Look closely.

The top picture is from the theater download page, and the bottom is my screenshot. 

Your presentation is wider.  The reason lies in the three items below.  In our example picture, one of them is a different aspect.

• Like 1

generiq
59 minutes ago, ebr said:

Your presentation is wider.  The reason lies in the three items below.  In our example picture, one of them is a different aspect.

Exactly! That third title was made bigger, which in turn makes the main tile, wider. But Luke has the right idea, now. Those bottom tiles are too big. By reducing their width, you allow for greater height of the main tile. Maybe not 16:9, but it should at least look better, and not cut off so much.

3 hours ago, generiq said:

That third title was made bigger

The third title was not made bigger.  It just so happens that the example on the website had a different image for that third item.

Give your collections library a square image and you'll get the exact same presentation that is in the example.

generiq
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

The third title was not made bigger.  It just so happens that the example on the website had a different image for that third item.

Give your collections library a square image and you'll get the exact same presentation that is in the example.

That's not reasonable. I would manually have to change every thumbnail image for every title in every library, as the images are pulled individual titles. All three of those tiles needs to be made smaller. They are all too big. I'm not sure I agree with having collections in that location, anyway. That should probably have its own panel, like the others.

And those tiles should not resize, dynamically. 

Just now, generiq said:

That's not reasonable. I would manually have to change every thumbnail image for every title in every library,

You can assign whatever image you want to your Collections library.  Right click->Edit images.

But I suggested that just to illustrate the point that nothing changed here.  It is just a difference of inputs creating the different output.

generiq
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

You can assign whatever image you want to your Collections library.  Right click->Edit images.

But I suggested that just to illustrate the point that nothing changed here.  It is just a difference of inputs creating the different output.

You can't do that for Theater. The image I have for my collections is entirely different. Theater pulls images from the titles, and not the library image.

generiq

The solution is to make the images have static sizes, and make the bottom three tiles, smaller.

25 minutes ago, generiq said:

The solution is to make the images have static sizes, and make the bottom three tiles, smaller.

Why?  I certainly don't want static sizes for my images as I want different size images depending on the resolution I'm watching the content in.

How do you make the boxes smaller?  Are you saying you would want 4 boxes under the main pic on that page?
That would make them so small they would be useless.

Ideally 3 fit just right and Emby adjusts the size of the boxes according to the content being shown in them.

There are any number of ways this could potentially be done but the zoom and crop was a design style particularly popular in interfaces like this (back when these types of interfaces were more prevalent).  This is no longer our default view for the app but, perhaps, it can be adjusted in some way in the future.

generiq
10 minutes ago, cayars said:

Why?  I certainly don't want static sizes for my images as I want different size images depending on the resolution I'm watching the content in.

How do you make the boxes smaller?  Are you saying you would want 4 boxes under the main pic on that page?
That would make them so small they would be useless.

Ideally 3 fit just right and Emby adjusts the size of the boxes according to the content being shown in them.

You seem to have absolutely no understanding of this, or of anything I've said. 

• Haha 1

generiq
8 hours ago, ebr said:

8 hours ago, ebr said:

I suggested that just to illustrate the point that nothing changed here.  It is just a difference of inputs creating the different output.

1.thumb.jpg.559ce9ccaf4cf3b072de75b0e9d6d826.jpg

These screenshots disprove what you're implying. The third tile has been made bigger, regardless of the image. It's the same for every library.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5bb3b1ec6b8cf24f85df8e26d57b17fe.jpg

797680104_Untitled3.thumb.jpg.dfa7a94c05c1734355903de3637adc36.jpg

I'm beginning to question if you guys know your own software.

Must I repeatedly show your errors before you'll admit you're wrong, and make the correction?

Edited by generiq

You're not understanding what's been said as you're stuck on thinking the very picture is the way it should always look but will rarely ever look that way.  ebr told you how you can prove this yourself by changing the collection poster.

This horizontal type theme is not very popular and has fallen out of use as it's kind of clumsy to use compared to the vertical themes that are very popular.

In this theme in order for the top picture to be more narrow would mean the 3 bottom pics would need to be smaller or have their aspect ratio changed or they would have to be cropped.  One of those would have to take place to "shorten" the display.  That could then cause issues for them.  Right now those 3 pics are show proper and the top pic is sized to fit that dimension as best as possible which will most often mean having to cut the top and bottom off.

There is only so many different ways you can fit 4 things into that area.