AU8000 - App and Playback

gbone8106

gbone8106

Just got a AU8000, I understand for the 2021 TVs Emby is not yet approved by Samsung. I have installed via USB ,1.0.98. Not sure if it helps with development, but the app speed seems to start slow, and has occasional slow browsing. Playback for 1080p is perfect, but anything 4k is choppy and not really watchable.

Edited by gbone8106

gbone8106

It seems to only occur on 4k(hevc) hdr mkv content when audio codec is ac3 or eac3, when switched to truehd and dts it plays smooth as it should. Ac3 and eac3 also playback correctly on 1080p mkv content.

FrostByte

That's odd, because ac3 and eac3 should direct play while TrueHD and dts will have to be converted in any resolution

15 hours ago, gbone8106 said:

It seems to only occur on 4k(hevc) hdr mkv content when audio codec is ac3 or eac3, when switched to truehd and dts it plays smooth as it should. Ac3 and eac3 also playback correctly on 1080p mkv content.

Can we please go over the specifics of an example?

Thanks !

gbone8106

Ok yes I will get play back logs, they do all direct play, at least that's what the stats for needs says; ac3 is just choppy with 4k, which is definitely odd. Typically choose ac3 to ensure that it doesn't transcode but this is different.

• Like 1

SamES

What type of network connection are you using?  Is the server on the same local network as the TV?

gbone8106

Had the same setup with tu8000, only difference is tu8000 was tizen 5.5, and this is tizen 6.0

SamES

Definitely strange.  You could try uninstalling the app, power cycle the TV, then reinstall

gbone8106

oh yes, I wanted to try other versions, but the only one that install is 1.0.98, the others give error which looks related to the Tizen version

20210702_162538.jpg

Edited by gbone8106

FrostByte
26 minutes ago, gbone8106 said:

oh yes, I wanted to try other versions, but the only one that install is 1.0.98, the others give error which looks related to the Tizen version

Every downloadable version will expire within 30 days of compiling because of Samsung's new policy which enforces that the store is the only official method of releasing apps.  You would need to find a rather old version to find one which doesn't expire.

gbone8106

ok  yea that makes sense, so the only one to try is is 1.0.98

Edited by gbone8106

gbone8106

Ok , So have tried 1.0.97, with the same results. I also have copied the same file (4k HDR10,EAC3, Mkv) to a usb and it played perfect and smooth. I also want to mention I have an HU8550 with oneconnect box wired ethernet , plays this just fine, also the previous tv, TU8000 (2020) also wired, played it just fine also. Its only present in 4k HDR10 EAC3/AC3 Direct play, anytime a 4K HDR10 MKV with TrueHD or DTS is direct streamed(audio transcode), its also plays smooth.

• Like 1

Yea I didn't expect it to be any different, I just wanted to mention that it was indeed available now.

SamES

I can't find any information in the developer notes to suggest why x265/4K content should have issues with playback in 2021 models.  There isn't anything in the API  documentation.

There is a 'SET_MODE_4K' mode which we set that is deprecated since 2020, but I expect that setting it has no effect so it shouldn't be causing an issue.

Does all 4K content that is DirectPlay cause issues, or only some items?  Can you please attach the media info for an example?

FrostByte

Have you tried changing your TV's setting digital output audio format from Auto to DD+/DD when playing these formats?

gbone8106

Only options are pcm, auto, and passthrough.  Have tried all 3, same results. Also tried without hdmi arc sound bar.

• Like 1