Cannot direct play to the Shield Pro, just stream direct

JustEric78
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

JustEric78

I searched around and could not find a good topic on this. I am sure this is going to be some easy boneheaded thing on my part, but I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. 

Nvidia Shield Pro - Pass through direct file path is checked

Into a Denon X6700H 

To a Sony Bravia or Sony projector

The storage is on a Server 2012 R2 that I have gone through the process of adding anonymous no password authentication too. I can access the shares via the Shield and my phone as a guest so I know I got that working as much as I hated to do it. Once I figure that out is it necessary to leave it that way, I do not think I had any access problems previously?

The time stamps on the files do not match as I had the log start over to reduce the upload and file size you had to look at. I reproduced the problem several times in each and all I could see is where it mentioned DirectPlayError several times with no other details I could find. There is also a screenshot of my main movie locations, note this is not a NAS, but I wanted the name to show up that way. 

Although not hands on any longer I can still get geeky so feel free to throw out any steps you can think of. Any assistance here is greatly appreciated.

Emby Library.JPG

ffmpeg-remux-739359d8-f5ad-4697-bc09-428771c43dd7_1.txt embyserver (2).txt

Edited by JustEric78

JustEric78
6 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, did you setup mount point on the Shield TV to match these?

Have a read through this KB article which explains it well:
https://support.emby.media/a/solutions/articles/44002058112

Yes, since I have setup the anonymous access like mentioned in the original post I was able to just join as a guest and it shows connected, but previously I was also connected with credentials. Is there some other step I need to take? I will try flipping the server name "HV" in the file path to the IP to see if that works today, but that is the only other thing I can think of trying. 

"I can access the shares via the Shield and my phone as a guest so I know I got that working as much as I hated to do it. "

• Solution

The Shield TV and Optional names need to match with the server name being in caps on both.

• Like 1

JustEric78
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

The Shield TV and Optional names need to match with the server name being in caps on both.

Okay, I have made that change thank you. Just waiting for it to rescan the library and I will test it. 

Emby Library.JPG

rbjtech

I don't think CAPS on the emby shares will make any difference but you must be CAPS as the SERVER name for the Shield. (the optional share name in Emby library config)

I use the following - and it works fine with File access - using a separate service account for the Shield to access my Windows shares directly.

shield1.PNG.bd45b0513ecf128e0edda5f3bcd79357.PNG

Edited by rbjtech

JustEric78
35 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I don't think CAPS on the emby shares will make any difference but you must be CAPS as the SERVER name for the Shield. (the optional share name in Emby library config)

I use the following - and it works fine with File access - using a separate service account for the Shield to access my Windows shares directly.

Well, I had an IP address instead of server name, so it would have been broken regardless. This library scan is taking quite some time so waiting to test, but I am hopeful. 

Just as a point of detail - this setup is not required for direct play of the files.  All this does is change the delivery protocol of that file.

Are you actually having an issue with the items not direct playing?

• Like 1

JustEric78
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Just as a point of detail - this setup is not required for direct play of the files.  All this does is change the delivery protocol of that file.

Are you actually having an issue with the items not direct playing?

Yes, they are direct streaming only. I have tried many different movies in different resolutions and not a single one is direct playing. 

2 minutes ago, JustEric78 said:

Yes, they are direct streaming only. I have tried many different movies in different resolutions and not a single one is direct playing. 

Okay, then what you are doing now is not going to have an impact on that.  It isn't even going to try the file access unless the item can direct play.

So we need to look at an example and determine why the items aren't direct playing.

• Like 1

JustEric78
Just now, ebr said:

Okay, then what you are doing now is not going to have an impact on that.  It isn't even going to try the file access unless the item can direct play.

So we need to look at an example and determine why the items aren't direct playing.

Okay, just tell me what you need aside from the log files initially attached please? Are you wanting me to send you a movie file or something?

JustEric78
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Your example above is showing a direct play error.  Potentially a problem with the media.  Can you please play that item for a few seconds and then send a log from the app?

This seems to be resolved now with the update to the file paths after it rescanned the library they are direct playing from the file. Now to see if I can disable the guest account and enter the credentials into the Shield. Thank you all very much!

JustEric78
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Thank you @cayars

7 minutes ago, JustEric78 said:

This seems to be resolved now with the update to the file paths after it rescanned the library they are direct playing from the file. Now to see if I can disable the guest account and enter the credentials into the Shield. Thank you all very much!

Okay, so you started out trying to setup this direct file access?  And then that failing is what was causing your playback errors?  This really wasn't necessary in order to get direct play :).

• Like 1

JustEric78
1 minute ago, ebr said:

Okay, so you started out trying to setup this direct file access?  And then that failing is what was causing your playback errors?  This really wasn't necessary in order to get direct play :).

To be honest I am not sure what the problem was. I had the storage server mounted into the Shield before I even started looking into this and the shares were set to everyone having read/write access. Literally the only thing I changed was the libraries directing to the IP address in the folder name as opposed to the server name. I had already played with every combination in the shared folder path. So it must require the server name in the base folder section which requires you to recreate them and delete the old.

That then started the library scan which oddly enough brought back some old watched and partially watched memory that came up missing over a year ago. I just worked past it at the time, but perhaps something server side was also affected at the same time. From a networking perspective none of this should have really mattered since the access was there, it should not matter how it is making the connection as long as it can, so this must be a coding thing which is beyond my IT skillset. 

2 minutes ago, JustEric78 said:

To be honest I am not sure what the problem was. I had the storage server mounted into the Shield before I even started looking into this and the shares were set to everyone having read/write access. Literally the only thing I changed was the libraries directing to the IP address in the folder name as opposed to the server name. I had already played with every combination in the shared folder path. So it must require the server name in the base folder section which requires you to recreate them and delete the old.

That then started the library scan which oddly enough brought back some old watched and partially watched memory that came up missing over a year ago. I just worked past it at the time, but perhaps something server side was also affected at the same time. From a networking perspective none of this should have really mattered since the access was there, it should not matter how it is making the connection as long as it can, so this must be a coding thing which is beyond my IT skillset. 

If you had never checked the option to pass the file path directly, I don't think you would have ever had an issue but I'm glad you got it working now.

• Like 1

JustEric78
1 minute ago, ebr said:

If you had never checked the option to pass the file path directly, I don't think you would have ever had an issue but I'm glad you got it working now.

Well in fairness, it was still streaming even after I checked that and went through the rest of my troubleshooting. So there was something more there, I cannot recall if I restarted the Shield after checking that though, perhaps that is required so it forces the Emby app to restart? Regardless, this is resolved maybe it will help someone else in the future now. Thank you again as always!

JustEric78

Just as an update on this in case someone else finds this topic. The guest account on the server is definitely needed providing anonymous access to the shares. I tried putting permissions back the way they were and reconnected the Shield with credentials and it broke the file > direct play. This may have been the problem the entire time so unfortunately I will have to keep the guest account active although I took some best practices steps by setting local group policy to not be able to login locally etc. Hopefully this helps someone else in the future using Windows server as the storage server.

This is the article that follows some of the aforementioned best practices that you will want to setup for security reasons along with the anonymous access.

http://woshub.com/anonymous-access-shared-folders-printers-windows/

rbjtech

I'm a little confused why you would want anonymous access to the shares from the shield anyway - why not just use a 'shield' service account on the windows server (and set to deny local login - that I agree with) and then you have an windows audit of the times the shield has accessed your server, plus of course you can see it live in the Admin/Shares tools within windows.

JustEric78
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

I'm a little confused why you would want anonymous access to the shares from the shield anyway - why not just use a 'shield' service account on the windows server (and set to deny local login - that I agree with) and then you have an windows audit of the times the shield has accessed your server, plus of course you can see it live in the Admin/Shares tools within windows.

I setup credentials for the Shield and connected it and it still stopped playing direct to the file once I turned off the anonymous access. From what I can tell it appears it is still required despite having the Shield connected via those credentials. Happy to experiment if you have an alternative, I by no means want to keep it opened up. 

Do you use Windows server as a storage device along with the shield and stats for geeks shows stream type file and it is direct playing or does it say stream type HTTP and direct play?

rbjtech

Yes I use standard Windows shares with the shield accessing them via a service account.  Stream type from emby is 'File'.  In Windows Computer Management > Shared Folders > Sessions - I can see this service account being used as RO from the shield.  Permission wise on the windows share itself, I use a RO Media shares group (of which the Shield Service account is a member) - but this should make no difference as a direct account (ie no group) should work just as well.

JustEric78
7 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Yes I use standard Windows shares with the shield accessing them via a service account.  Stream type from emby is 'File'.  In Windows Computer Management > Shared Folders > Sessions - I can see this service account being used as RO from the shield.  Permission wise on the windows share itself, I use a RO Media shares group (of which the Shield Service account is a member) - but this should make no difference as a direct account (ie no group) should work just as well.

That is strange then, just to test I used my account to connect to the server on the Shield which has admin access. Right when I turned off the guest access it went right back to direct stream. I wonder what the difference is in our configurations? When you go into the mount section of Shield and find your server, do you just click on it and add your service account credentials and boom it works or was there more to it then that?