Emby, DSM 7, and DS-220+

ng4ever

ng4ever

Is anyone running the RC of DSM 7 with the base or default DS-220+ config ? How does it run so far ?

I am worried it will slow down my DS-220+ even the final release of DSM 7. Could be wrong. Want to get honest opinions on how it runs on the base or default DS-220+ config please. Thanks.

Read where DSM 7 recommends minimum 1 GB of ram. The base or default config of a DS-220+ is only 2 GB so that is why I am worried. I know I can add more ram but don't want to right now. Sorry.

Oh yeah I could of bought the DS-920+ instead but still do not think I needed that much power ever. Not even in the future. Maybe I was wrong though.

Edited by ng4ever

Everything I've read or experienced personally says DSM 7 is faster, especially UI components.

FrostByte

Per the DSM 7.0 release notes

DSM 7.0 consumes more system resources, including memory. If your model has less than 1 GB of memory, updating to DSM 7.0 may affect system performance.

I haven't noticed a hit, but then I have 8gb memory in a DS1821+.  Mine is also just used for Emby and Surveillance Station.  For me I really haven't noticed a difference good or bad.  

Edited by FrostByte

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/news/4284-synology-2021-dsm-7-0-beta-and-the-future-of-data/

Synology 2021: DSM 7.0 Beta and the future of data

By Miranda Hucker - 15 December 2020 (1283 views)
4284-image1.png

Synology introduced an entirely redesigned DiskStation Manager (DSM), the unified operating system powering Synology data management solutions, and new storage, backup, and hybrid-cloud technologies in the online 2021 AND BEYOND event.

"Unprecedented quantities of data have undergone processing, whether for data analytics, artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, telemedicine, or for countless more innovations. All of this is making a huge impact on our lifestyle and the way we do business, forming a "data economy" where owning more data gives you a competitive edge against others," said Philip Wong, Synology founder and Chief Executive Officer. "Synology is dedicated to building upon DSM, our core platform to solve security, reliability and management challenges. We design our solutions for individuals, all the way up to large enterprises, for even massive datasets. All of this so that our customers can focus on utilising the data to create more value. I am excited to announce that DSM7.0 will reach general availability in 2021, bringing you a brand new experience in data management."

DSM 7.0 improves all aspects of the operating system, from storage management and the user interface, to cloud-supported functionality such as large-scale device monitoring and on-demand storage.

• Redesigned storage management functionality for higher performance, reliability, and even more maintenance options to empower IT administrators
  • A host of usability and functionality improvements matched with improved security features such as a more secure and convenient authentication process
  • Added support for the Fibre Channel protocol to achieve the lowest-latency and overhead deployments
  • An all-new photo management experience with Synology Photos, that combining the AI-powered features of Synology Moments with the organisational flexibility of Synology Photo Station
  • Innovative solutions like Hybrid Share, to integrate cloud and on-premises storage, Active Insight, to monitor aggregated performance and usage from a single portal, and backup solutions that combine robust bare-metal data protection with the convenience of the cloud

About Synology

Synology creates network-attached storage, IP surveillance solutions, and network equipment that transform the way users manage data, conduct surveillance, and manage networks in the cloud era. By taking full advantage of the latest technologies, Synology aims to help users centralise data storage and backup, share files on-the-go, implement professional surveillance solutions, and manage networks in reliable and affordable ways.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
ng4ever
On 6/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, FrostByte said:

Per the DSM 7.0 release notes

DSM 7.0 consumes more system resources, including memory. If your model has less than 1 GB of memory, updating to DSM 7.0 may affect system performance.

I haven't noticed a hit, but then I have 8gb memory in a DS1821+.  Mine is also just used for Emby and Surveillance Station.  For me I really haven't noticed a difference good or bad.  

Thanks.

Weirdly enough I do not notice much extra ram usage. Seems about the same to me thankfully!

Does feel faster though which is a good thing!

• Like 1