Subtitles / audio track remembering with no start playing

AAndy

Please add this function to change audio/subtitles track at item card with no start playing.

Following thread:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Please feel free to use this code)

--UserId = 1
--ItemId = 139487
--CurrentAudioStreamIndex = 1
--CurrentSubtitlesStreamIndex = 4
--NewAudioStreamIndex = 2
--NewSubtitlesStreamIndex = 3
select * from UserDatas where UserDataKeyId =(select UserDataKeyId from MediaItems where Id = 139487) and userId = 1;--for information
update UserDatas set AudioStreamIndex = 2, SubtitleStreamIndex = 3 where UserDataKeyId =(select UserDataKeyId from MediaItems where Id = 139487) and userId = 1;--update

Nothing difficult.

Is the chance to see track remembering at item card (with no start playing) in closest releases?

6 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, we're monitoring this request for community feedback. Thanks.

REALLY?! You are monitoring what users say about basis function which was your server must have at start? Really? It is JUST ONE CODE ROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTHING DIFFICULT!

And my 'playback fail' report leaves with no answer

BTW, subtitles selection which I choose while playing, are really storing in DataBase, but when I go to home screen and back to movie again - movie card shows "Subtitles = Off", and at start, subtitles really is Off! When I moving to Emby I could not imagine Emby have so many bugs (playback fails, can't choose audio/subtitles I need, collections removing bugs, no 'home button' on Lg-App (in which case I must press 'Back' button tens times) etc)! When I moves to Emby I bought Emby Premiere right away. But never again! Thank you! I go back to plex and never go back here. In time I spent to write 3-party program for Emby I already found solutions to fix in plex what is not comfortable for me.

And I don't want again spent a full day to explain to your deaf and blind command, because they are SO BUSY for read latest 2-4 messages and asking again and again same and same things! I spent 3 days to find solution (instead work) for audio/subtitles tracks! I couldn't believe your server hasn't this BASIS function!

Totally craziness!

• 2 months later...

Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any news? When you'll add tracks/subtitles change possibility without start playing?

IT IS JUST TWO CODE ROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Add api for it, at least!

Are you crazy guys? Really crazy? If I wanna watch show some show or some movies without subtitles I must start playing some show's epiasodes or seasons or full show (which I want to watch without subtitles), I forced to start playing each of them with subtitles and then only change it, instead of adjusting the parameters I need! IT IS CRAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

At this year start your server did not show embedded trach/subtitles titles. I thought that is crazy. But with it still can be living. But change tracks only while playback - THAT IS CRAZY! Your server vs MPC-HC vs VLC. What's difference? NOTHING, except MPC and VLC has much more powerful! You are creating the media server, but implementation level as like simple media player and more lower. Why are you go this way? And what your sqlite db exactly do, except search providing and some optimization at elements opening? Nothing again! So I want to ask you a question: why are you do not want add basis server function? Your sqlite database ALREADY collect playback information and store playback parameters changes. What difficult? Or you really not interested to get plex users? I am not asking to bring this function to all of your apps, but on server web interface, at least, only!

At reddit one user, some time ago, told me: "plex light years ahead of emby". Then I asked him why and explain my vision which pointed to emby has much more functionality for media management, it is more stable and much more comfortable then plex. I was so wrong! Now I am understanding what he is mean! Plex really light years ahead of emby. And even with they are totally spitting on users! You are spitting on users much more. I remember how I asked a question and each new moderator, which join in discuss, has fun of me by asking the same and the same question, because all of them so busy to read my answer, which I posted repeatedly in every they stupid question. Plex has never fun of users. Yes, they are forcing new functional with not looking at users, but they are never has mocking users!

Hi.  We're sorry you feel you were mocked.  That was certainly not our intention.  Can you point me to where that occurred?

As for this feature request, we monitor all requests for feedback and this one has very little so far.  Our settings and defaults cover the vast majority of user needs we believe but can always potentially expand these in the future.  We have to prioritize and this doesn't always mean just how hard or easy something is to accomplish (or how long ago it was requested).  We also have to take into account what most users expect and or are comfortable with as well.

13 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We're sorry you feel you were mocked.  That was certainly not our intention.  Can you point me to where that occurred?

As for this feature request, we monitor all requests for feedback and this one has very little so far.  Our settings and defaults cover the vast majority of user needs we believe but can always potentially expand these in the future.  We have to prioritize and this doesn't always mean just how hard or easy something is to accomplish (or how long ago it was requested).  We also have to take into account what most users expect and or are comfortable with as well.

Excuse me, but I am not asking for something new or non-ordinary! This function should be. You don't hear me, and you don't WANT to hear me. Your server ALREADY has possibility for implementation trach/subtitles changes without starting playback. It literally two-five code rows! It is extremely easy, and your programmer spend a lower than one minute!
If you don't want to implement it at server web-interface, please just add this at API! And not at playback, but at "UserData" change!

Just now I paid for Emby Premiere for support your team.

Users may not to know this possibility (in case of doesn't see this) and they are really can't vote for this function because they are may does not understand. But I promise you, people, who watching movies/tv-shows with subtitles will be very appreciate you! Please look at Plex. They server has this ability. I can't user your server normally because instead to set down at the couch, relax and watch show with some predicated parameters I forced to change parameters. At the same time, when I change it at playback, server can change the playback mode (from transcoding to direct play, for example) and application go to fail! And while this is happening my will to watch media through your server is going off and I go to plex! And this happening EVERY time!

8 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Our progress API includes track selections.  You could issue a start and a stop playback call and I believe this would accomplish what you want.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/wiki/Playback-Check-ins

I want to ask you AGAIN! ARE YOU CRAZY?

I seen that! In other words, you tell me "f#%k off me"!  Again: THIS FUNCTION MUST BE EXECUTED WITHOUT PLAYBACK STARTING! You pointing me to start playback session (because this api function works with opened playback session ONLY). ARE YOU CRAZY??????????????????????????? I must start thousands sessions and burn (literally) my server because your programmer so much lazy to spent LESS THAN ONE MINUTE for this implementation??

Add to this API function two parameters (audiotrackindex and subtitletrackindex) and all will be okay.

Updates userdata for an item:

[POST] /Users/{UserId}/Items/{ItemId}/UserData

11 minutes ago, andrey062006 said:

Add to this API function two parameters (audiotrackindex and subtitletrackindex) and all will be okay.

Updates userdata for an item:

[POST] /Users/{UserId}/Items/{ItemId}/UserData

It's something that can be looked at. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

It's something that can be looked at. Thanks.

Really? You will add these two parameters at this API function? 😊

26 minutes ago, andrey062006 said:

Again: THIS FUNCTION MUST BE EXECUTED WITHOUT PLAYBACK STARTING!

Hi.  What I pointed you to will not start playback.  It will simulate a playback session very briefly and accomplish what you asked for without any modifications.  I was just trying to give you something that would work right now.

27 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What I pointed you to will not start playback.  It will simulate a playback session very briefly and accomplish what you asked for without any modifications.  I was just trying to give you something that would work right now.

It doesn't working at all! I tested it just now!

1. This function has not contained "User" parameter (so, as I can suggest it applied to admin user (server owner)).

2. Simulate, or not - CPU usage increased on playback start (even on DirectPlay). Increasing is a low but still... On thousand sessions it will be not so low!

3. This session at response by [http://IP:PORT/emby/Sessions?api_key=API_KEY] looks like regular and has no parameters which pointed to simulation.

4. By this function I could not change track

Payload I used:

{
  "ItemId": "82609",
  "AudioStreamIndex": 1,
  "SubtitleStreamIndex": 2,
  "EventName": "SubtitleTrackChange",
  "PlayMethod": "DirectPlay"
}

Nothing changes!

Functions I used:

-  /Sessions/Playing/Progress

- /Sessions/Playing

When I tried to do the same (change tracks through your API) and tested it in June, I seen function which changed tracks, but playback was started.

Hi, I'm trying to understand your needs but wondering if you are fully aware of how you can setup your Emby clients to automatically choose subs for you at play time.

Here is an example from the web client:
image.png.652b14424031739e7c708a3f2946a759.png

So for example I can choose the language of the sub to play as well as the conditions like always, only if forced, smart, etc...

By adjusting these settings they will be applied to all playback on that client.

Have you explored these settings?
If they don't work for you can you go over a specific situation to show us why this would be more helpful to you?

Something to keep in mind is one person's wish feature could be another's nightmare.  For example I often look at subs and audio tracks of media using the drop downs, but would not want any selections to become permeant as I was just looking and didn't actually play back the media to "select" them.

For most people with the above (shown in pic) settings they will never need to manually select a sub to use as the system will choose it automatically based on their preference.

• Agree 1

On 6/23/2021 at 10:19 PM, cayars said:

I'm sorry but your link is from another thread not this one, so yes I was blind to it.

Are you still blind? And actually, I don't want to answer you! You are - the one who mocking me at other thread!

But especially for you, who so extreme laziness and totally blind, I explain it again!
People, who watching movies with subtitles for any reasons, which absolutely not your business, (have no native language track, learning foreign languages by movies etc, for example), sometimes want to see the "media" without the text! Or, for example, some shows, on foreign language which they are knows. And we don't want to see full neither forced subs. We just want to preselect these parameters and start playing queue! And I don't want change parameters while playback instead enjoying movies/tv-shows. I know, you are blind, deaf and many other and you don't understand me and don't WANT to understand and doesn't trying to understand! But I have a really large tv-shows library with at least 11 foreign languages. Some languages I do know, but for pedantry I keeping all subtitles tracks which I do have! AND NO, DEFAULTS IN EMBY SETTINGS IS NOT FIT FOR ME, BECAUSE, ATTENTION, I DONT WANT TO SEE SUBTITLES IN SOME MEDIA! This media can be movie, or alone episode, or tv-show's full (or part) season or even full show! Again, if I starts some queue in my home theater I dont want to run between computer and my sit and I don't want to change each item in playback queue through mobil app or somehow else, which spoil the viewing experience! If you do want to spend a time for changing parameters which I can preset (and which should be preset) - it is your right, but why you trying to interfere in thread and disturb for prevent other users' needs realization?

Am I extremely clear?

And please, go to ophthalmologist for god (god - is expression, I am atheist) sake!

And now tell me how is it pleasurable when some other talking with you as like you are nothing?!

@cayars And if you wanna ask me something like "who watching tv-shows in home theater", go to iMDB and type "Game of Thrones". Thousands people watch this show in home theater!

I'm sorry but I had not posted before you commented you were being mocked, but no one is mocking you.

We are simply trying to understand the need for you as well as what the change would do to everyone one who may not want this.

Please stop being rude to users or other staff members on our forum.  This is a friendly place we try to maintain and this is something that won't be tolerated.

I am not asking for remove some functions or spoil some. I only ask for bring to front just ONE function which your server already have but hidden and shown at playback only! For users who dont need this function nothing changes but for other users like me - it is really makes a life easier and will provide possibility to leave a Plex and fully moves to your server!

20 minutes ago, cayars said:

We are simply trying to understand the need for you as well as what the change would do to everyone one who may not want this.

Okay, if it is really so major thing, you can add to settings page just one checkbox for users', who dont want use this function. It is, again, just a few code rows and check expression in media card when users select tracks like "If Not Settings.ForceDisableSomeFunction = True then StoreParametersToDataBase". So, as you do see, it is very simple! And nothing spoils! And no one, who don't use this function, it is will not be touched! although I cant imagine how this function can make spoil users' viewing experience!

Edited by andrey062006

crusher11

Whether you change it prior to playback on the item details screen, during playback via the OSD, or at some other time when setting things up, it takes exactly the same amount of time.

Your complaint is irrelevant.

• Agree 1

And again, Emby have a beta server version. You can implement this function there and try to find someone tell you "this function bothers me or spoil all of my working with server". I am sure you don't find users who doesn't like that!
I am flexible. I even asked for more simple function - just add to "userdata" api function two parameters. I will satisfied by either result.

Just now, crusher11 said:

Whether you change it prior to playback on the item details screen, during playback via the OSD, or at some other time when setting things up, it takes exactly the same amount of time.

Your complaint is irrelevant.

It is not true and it is not the point!

GrimReaper

You should really tone down on those exclamation marks. I understand you are wound-up, but it ain't helping your case.