Benefits of upgrading hardware?

IGotTheMedia

IGotTheMedia

Hi,

Long time user and lover of Emby, I used to run Emby off my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (1GB Ram). I have since then upgraded to this:

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=949  (AMD PRO A4-3350B Processor, SSD "Booting", HDD "Media", 16Gb Ram "DDR3", DietPi OS and No GPU).

It works fine. I can watch 4k HDR media* without any drops (using direct play, with a Sony Smart TV and Emby App) running with 3+ users (Not always watching at the same time**, All LAN)

However, I'm just wording if I was to upgrade this, add an i5, DDR4 Ram, 980 GTX etc... Would I notice any change? Would it be worth it? Sure it works fine for my needs, and I can watch anything from my smart tv or even on my computer (Using the Emby Theater for Windows), But would I gain anything from this?

Thank you!

-Media

mastrmind11

i mean, if your current setup fits your needs, save the money.

• Like 1

IGotTheMedia
13 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

i mean, if your current setup fits your needs, save the money.

True, I already have better hardware laying around doing nothing. Hence the idea, I was just unsure what more I could gain from it?

mastrmind11
10 hours ago, IGotTheMedia said:

True, I already have better hardware laying around doing nothing. Hence the idea, I was just unsure what more I could gain from it?

you'd gain the ability to stream to more users simultaneously, you'd get a higher electricity bill, thats pretty much it.

• Like 2