Emby Apps for ROKU and Windows/Chrome constantly freezing and stopping altogether

MPPMedia

MPPMedia

For over a year now I have searched extensively for a solution to this problem and have not found anything helpful.  This problem has existed for me for over a year now.  I have adjusted transcode settings, Global server and app playback quality settings....and NOTHING has worked.  No matter what I select from the guide (including local channels coming from my HDHomerun tuner and antenna)...the Emby apps on ROKU AND Direct play via Chrome/Windows...INSIDE my LAN... is constantly freezing and skipping.  When experimenting and getting these results, I have been sure to make certain and verify that my playback connection is the ONLY active stream.  I have tried it from multiple Roku boxes (via ethernet and Wi-Fi) and computer systems (ethernet and Wi-Fi).  Nothing makes a difference.  I have adjusted Emby app stream settings on each of the ROKU boxes as low as 720p at only 2MB...and still no change either way.  I also have a PLEX server within my LAN on a different server (shut it down temporarily so it wouldn't interfere with testing the Emby issue) and it streams PERFECTLY at 1080p 4MB to, sometimes, 3 different ROKU boxes within my LAN...AND about 5-6 internet users outside my LAN...SIMULTANEOUSLY.  I have attached a server log corresponding to a Chrom/Windows attempt to play a stream...along with screenshots of EMBY server settings and ASUSTOR NAS information.  PLEASE respond with something helpful soon.  I have to believe there is a solution but, will start a search for an alternative to EMBY while I await some, hopefully, good news.

ASUSTOR Server App Info.jpg

ASUSTOR Specs.jpg

EmbyServerSettings - Network.jpg

EmbyServerSettings - Transcoding.jpg

ffmpeg-transcode-f24cdb34-0f4c-488c-b58c-592ee6ef06fb_1.txt

Hi, as a test, try turning off hardware transcoding on the server and see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

MPPMedia

This didn't make any noticeable improvement.  The Roku boxes (all) still freeze and sputter (data on Roku says stream MUST be transcoded and apparently won't do Direct Play by default and not sure if I can select that)...Chrome/Windows does the same (it is Direct Play with no transcoding)....Android App stops after a few seconds and goes back to the guide.  Roku boxes and computers are inside the LAN/network and cell is connected to full strength 5g.  Thank you so much for getting back to me and trying to help.  Any additional ideas?  It's wonderful software with so many nice options...would hate to have to find something crappy to replace Emby just to get reliable streaming.

MPPMedia

Buffering and stuttering is terrible inside and outside my lan on all apps/devices....even when trying to watch my local HDHomerun Tuner.  PLEX is flawless on, so far, up to 8 simultaneous streams at DOUBLE the quality.  I feel I've exhausted all options but, you'd know more than me.  I hope you can help.

21 minutes ago, MPPMedia said:

This didn't make any noticeable improvement. 

Can you provide a log example of that? Thanks.

MPPMedia

WOW!  You are AWESOME!  Thank you for the FAST response.  I'm posting 6 short logs showing my latest attempts from a computer in my office (Wired connection to the same router only feet from my Emby server on the ASUSTOR).  Please let me know if I can do any additional tests to help you narrow this strange issue down.  I hesitate to say it and possibly clutter thought processes but, I worry that my ASUSTOR may not be ideal for this.  Is that possible.  I may be wrong because soooo many are using simple NAS systems for EMBY with great success.  My brain hurts...LOL

MPPMedia
MPPMedia
On 6/22/2021 at 12:07 PM, Luke said:

Can you provide a log example of that? Thanks.

Since that didn't work, all I can think is that the Emby streams are being affected by "traffic".  But...if that's the case, how is it that PLEX has zero similar issue...all while streaming to as many as 8 internet users simultaneously...and is set to a higher transcode quality than the Emby streams?  Are there some less than obvious settings that could/should be adjusted within Emby to solve this?

• 4 weeks later...