How to integrate Emby server access into Wordpress site?

fxwegr

fxwegr

Before I dive deeper into the matter, first a question: Do I have any chance at all?
My WP site is password protected. My goal is to access Emby without a new login. I imagine, after WP login, an automatic emby login with the WP credentials in use, when a certain (sub)page is entered. A look at the code of the emby login page shows that the usual methods for a program controlled login are not possible.  Is a login via the emby REST API possible? My attempts in swagger were not very successful. I get a rc=500?

I have read the instructions about the different authentication methods.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Hi.  I'm not really sure how feasible this is.  Perhaps if you tell us what your overall goal is (what you are really trying to accomplish and why you feel you need WP) we will have some ideas.

Thanks.

fxwegr

Hi ebr,

yes, I also had the thought that my question was too cloudy. I'll try to be more precise:

I want to share my Emby libraries (music, classical music, books, audio books, photos etc) with my family members on our family homepage. I want to avoid that my family members have to use two different credentials, one for the family homepage and the other for Emby. This is the current situation.  This is criticized. In the future, the family homepage will function as a family portal.

Still to the explanation: My family is not only scattered over Germany but also over whole Europe.

My current approach is to use the Emby API from Wordpress to make Emby accessible without a second login. For this I want to put a new page on our family homepage (Wordpress) which is equipped with a PHP script which calls Emby and creates a "normal" Emby session. Is this possible in principle or does emby set limits?

I am grateful for any further questions.

Regards

Theoretically, it is probably possible but the amount of work involved may or may not be worth it.  With the web app, it pretty much remembers your login forever so, just putting a link on your family portal page, should take the people to Emby in the web app and, once they log in once, they should never really have to do it again...

• Like 1

Thuzad

You can use LDAP on both Emby and wordpress, which will allow you to have the same credentials on both sites and maybe on other services you will set up in the future.

As @ebr pointed out, once authenticated, it's quite rare to log in again.

fxwegr

Yes, I'll have to look at LDAP more closely, that could be a viable way.

How does the 'Remember me' check box work exactly. Is there the possibility that anyone outside the WP application can log in to Emby?

fxwegr

I have built a prototype in PHP for my project. The Emby API for user authentication and logoff work fine in this prototype.
However, I can't build an Emby session with the received access token, because there is simply no Emby API for it.
Is this statement correct or did I miss something? If this is true, this would be the showstopper for my PHP approach.

It's sort of correct, yes. Where are they logging into, just WordPress and not Emby?

fxwegr

The prototype runs stand alone, i.e. as a single website without WordPress.  I currently only log in to Emby.

fxwegr

With this post I would like to put an end to this thread.  I have taken a closer look at the LDAP approach. What is needed here is this:

• A LDAP server e.g. "OpenLDAP" on a machine that should always be up.
  • A LDAP browser e.g. "Apache Directory Studio".
  • Two LDAP clients one for Emby and one for WordPress.
  • The understanding of a rather unusual LDAP terminilogy.
  • Dealing with numerous configuration files with tons of directives.

That's shooting at sparrows with cannons. Dear Luke, I wish the Emby team would have the capacity to make RestApi as functional as its name suggests in the near future.
With my best regards.

Edited by fxwegr

• 7 months later...
FordkuGK

Theoretically, it is possible, but the amount of work is very large, and the work you do may not justify itself. The web application remembers your login forever to place a link on the portal page. That way, you'll be on Emby in the web application, and once you're logged in, you won't have to do it again. I think that might solve your problem. When I was building my site on WordPress, I had fewer problems than with Emby. Probably because my site was handled by prosvit.design, and I didn't know all the technical issues.

Edited by FordkuGK