Can't download to Windows store app

MBSki

MBSki

I can't seem to get videos to sync to the windows store app. I've used Download To from the server machine and download on the actual device, but neither work. It hangs at Ready to Transfer or converting. Is this a known issue? Any specific settings needed to get the videos to download? 

Mkilbride

So I replaced my Laptop, named it the same as my other one "Mkilbride-Laptop"

Using Emby Theater from Microsoft Store because it allows downloads to PCS while the Desktop verison doesn't.  I removed all the downloads and tried again, on both the laptop and the server. It simply refuses and for no reason. The Other Laptops I had did not have this issue. It's Windows 10, fully updated.  I unchecked download only over WiFi. It's plugged in direct to an Ethernet cord. It just remains as "Awaiting transfer" forever and nothing I can do gets it to go.

• Agree 1

I just tested with the windows app and I'm able to download videos without any trouble.

MBSki
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

I just tested with the windows app and I'm able to download videos without any trouble.

Which version of the server? I was using stable. And what settings? 

I used original settings, but checked unplayed and automatically download new. And did you use download or download to?

Edited by mbarylski

MBSki
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Stable, defaults, downloaded directly from inside the app.

What about when checking unplayed and automatically download new?

cwarren.qc

I cannot answer for mbarylski, but I still have problems syncing with:

• Emby Theater: 1.1.357
  • Emby Server: 4.6.3
  • Windows running: 10.0.19041

My others "facts":

• The last time that I'm sure that it worked: may 30.
  • Syncing is working correctly on my Android Tablet, with version 3.1.73. And it still work after updating to the latest version: 3.1.94
  • I tried to revert to version 4.6.2, and then 4.6.1 on the server => Still not working
  • I uninstalled / reinstalled Emby Theater => Still not working
  • The "extracting subtitle", "converting" steps seems to work fine, but the files stay at "Ready to Transfert"

I know that it's probably a different problem, but the symptoms are identical to what I saw a fews years ago:

I included the server log that I get when I start Emby Theater (with some "Ready To Transfert" items already present) and add a new download.
I also included an image of the JavaScript Console that I get when I debug Emby Theater in Visual Studio.

image.thumb.png.2953de89b0de214d2b1e6449834dad58.png

Edited by cwarren.qc

Please try again with the windows store app update that started rolling out last night, just in case that might help. Thanks.

MBSki
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Please try again with the windows store app update that started rolling out last night, just in case that might help. Thanks.

It only partially works. Downloading at 4 Mbps quality works, but Original won't download. Also, once a show is downloaded it can't be changed. I downloaded 2 episodes then tried to change it to download 3 and the status remains as downloaded and won't add any more 

Lastly, when it did work the status ALWAYS showed "Transferring 0%". It only changed to Downloaded when it was done. So there were no progress updates to indicate that the download was actually working.

cwarren.qc

I agree with mbarylski. It's still not perfect.

For me, at least, the files (Original or lower) are always downloaded correctly in the destination folder (I'm checking Resource Monitor while it's downloading), but the Status is not updated while the download is occuring / completed.

In this image, you can see that Emby Theater logged messages that the file was being downloaded and completed but the UI didn't update, even when I refreshed the page. 

image.thumb.png.d64071450f62f1de3adb2b0eb587d841.png

The status changed to "downloaded" after a while (i.e. few minutes), when, it seems, Emby Theater is doing an explicit "status synchronisation" with the server.
image.thumb.png.7d3217654dcf3f37c5cf3807c2f4a07c.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by cwarren.qc

MBSki

Yea, it looks like status only updates when a single file is completely downloaded. I noticed status of 50% when 1 file of 2 downloaded. There's no in between status though so it doesn't seem like it's doing anything.

The dynamic status update is not fully implemented yet and currently will always stay at 0% until the download is complete. It's something we are working on improving. Thanks.

• Like 1

MBSki

Thanks Luke. I'd be ok with that if the downloads actually worked. Can you take a look at my logs? Downloads don't work on any client I've tried.

Mkilbride

Yeah it's fixed for me. Thank you. Also, did I never notice this or does Emby Theater not downmix surround to Stereo? That is, when no transcoding takes place(i.e, a local file?). Any way to force downmixing?  Also I have a weird thing where Emby Theater plays back local files are super low quality for no reason. Like it's trying to stream them or something.  I have no option for "Original" Playback, just maximum.

Edited by Mkilbride
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 5:38 AM, Mkilbride said:

Yeah it's fixed for me. Thank you. Also, did I never notice this or does Emby Theater not downmix surround to Stereo? That is, when no transcoding takes place(i.e, a local file?). Any way to force downmixing?  Also I have a weird thing where Emby Theater plays back local files are super low quality for no reason. Like it's trying to stream them or something.  I have no option for "Original" Playback, just maximum.

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding down mixing, I'll respond in the dedicated topic that you opened. Thanks.