Can not login to the server for the second time - connection failure

Mossshine

Mossshine

Hi, guys I have this weird issue, where I can't connect to my local server for the second time.

First time app setup works just fine, I enter my local PC's IP, login to it's account and play movies. Then when I turn off my TV and turn it back in, Emby wants to connect to server again, so I select the PC tile that I have on it's splash screen and from it's menu select Connect. Then I get "connection failure" and nothing works, except reinstalling the whole app, which is out of the question.

What do I do, it's unusable.

embyserver.txt

Hello Mossshine,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Mossshine
17 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What kind of TV and what Emby app?

LG OLED 55 BX, it's Emby app from it's store, app version from 2020

EarBud5297

I came to this forum searching for a solution to the same problem - it worked fine day 1 but failed to connect the next day.

I looked at the Emby server details running on my Windows 7 laptop and I found a link to troubleshooting connectivity. The source doc says to create a new firewall rule to open up 2 ports over TCP ("private" network option on rule). I did that and restarted the Emby server and can now connect with the same app on my LG tv - I did not have to reinstall either the server or the app.

Other info:
I have an LG NanoCell 90 Series LED 4K UHD TV. Emby server is running on my 64-bit Windows 7. Both are hard-wired ethernet connections. Auto port mapping selected upon installation. Emby server version 4.6.3.

I hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
EarBud5297

A little update: I still ocassionally have the problem of the TV app not connecting to my home server. I found that if I keep my app installed but create a new connection it works again. Then I noticed that upon setup I was entering a different I.P. address (I was just typing in what was shown on the Emby server dashboard). So now I'm thinking that my Emby server computer is getting a unique I.P. address, probably on restart, and this is the root cause of the problem.

So now I have to figure out how to keep the same local I.P. address? Any suggestions, admins?

On 7/10/2021 at 2:24 PM, EarBud5297 said:

A little update: I still ocassionally have the problem of the TV app not connecting to my home server. I found that if I keep my app installed but create a new connection it works again. Then I noticed that upon setup I was entering a different I.P. address (I was just typing in what was shown on the Emby server dashboard). So now I'm thinking that my Emby server computer is getting a unique I.P. address, probably on restart, and this is the root cause of the problem.

So now I have to figure out how to keep the same local I.P. address? Any suggestions, admins?

Hi, yes I would suggest going into your router and configuring a static network LAN IP address for your server machine so that it will never change. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, EarBud5297 said:

I reserved a static IP address for my server and have had no problems since. Great software!

Thanks for the feedback !