Nvidia Shield TV is getting a Google TV-like facelift

CBers

1 hour ago, ebr said:

Good luck. ;) 

What would be Google's incentive for disabling this...?  Their entire business model is based on advertising.

Upset manufactures. Manufactures in the past have caused big outfits to change things so it's not impossible, just improbable. :)

pwhodges
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Everyone who doesn't like this or the idea of pushing any kind of ad to any device should post here to let their voice be heard.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/457996/new-ad-bar-please-remove/

It's a pity that a substantial number of the replies on that thread are objecting to the ads primarily on homophobic grounds.

Paul

• Agree 1

pwhodges
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Upset manufactures. Manufactures in the past have caused big outfits to change things so it's not impossible, just improbable. :)

The other main objection is that nVidia explicitly sold these devices as ad-free - so the users have grounds for complaining that nVidia didn't prevent Google doing this.

Paul

CassTG
25 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

It's a pity that a substantial number of the replies on that thread are objecting to the ads primarily on homophobic grounds.

Paul

To be fair i was reading the comments and whilst i didn't catch them all i did see a fair few about the constant pushing of certain type of ads on  a device which primarily will be viewed in a family environment and in all fairness i have to agree with them somewhat, and before anyone jumps up and down thats from a perspective of a trans person. When i saw those banners myself i was like seriously not you and all?, Add to that the constant pushing of similar ads in. youtube and even i was getting annoyed with them, and you know full well they sure as hell aren't placing those adds in certain areas of the world because it would land them in the mire, so it's the holier-than thou approach that gets my back up personally

Any how:

21 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

The other main objection is that nVidia explicitly sold these devices as ad-free - so the users have grounds for complaining that nVidia didn't prevent Google doing this.

Paul

I have to be honest i brought the device because it does offer the best complete package, i may be wrong but i never saw a spec sheet that stated it was and will stay an ad free device, and in this day and age you have to know full well if its powered by google, they will find a way to add an ad somewhere in it.

However

I know people use there devices differently, but to be fair i don't really notice the ad bar anymore because i just focus on the app row, as long as i can get to emby, youtube and tivimate quickly everything else on screen is just a blur to me as i pay it no attention what so ever, i never used the channel functions to be fair either so thats a less of a concern. The ad bar has kind of become like the punch out camera on me s21 ultra, or the tattoo on my arm, if i go looking for it i will see it but when im not hunting it out, it may as well not be there

Edited by CassTG
  • Like 1

aperry

I've been running fairly happily with a custom launcher (currently "LeanbackOnFire"). It's simple and doesn't have some of the more advanced/dynamic things that I enjoyed about the stock launcher. Most importantly it prevents me from getting aggravated by turning on the Shield and being reminded that I have no control over the content that's being thrown at me :)

I'll admit that this change has really bothered me, and it's helped me to get a bit more serious about something I've been contemplating for a while: beginning to move some of my life out of Google (beginning with an iPhone to replace my aging Pixel 3). To each his own! I'm envious of people who don't get aggravated by these things.

Sammy

I've had this for so long now on my MiBox s' that I don't really even see it anymore. It is there long enough to click on Emby, Netflix or Prime and watch what I (we) came to watch. 

Like @cayars said earlier, this is nothing near the mess navigating a FireTV device is where finding the app you want takes a little bit of patience..

rbjtech

Agree the 4K fireTV's menu is now pretty bad - the app icons themselves are the smallest on the screen surrounded by ads and 'recommendations' - yuk!... :(  

For my FireTV Cube I now just say 'Alexa, open Emby' - it turns on the TV, and opens Emby - no need to navigate anything.  I've yet to try this on a 4K stick, but I've heard you can pair with an Echo to do the same thing - I may give this a try. 

iomgui

I bet its already been said, but just in case its super easy to disable the ads in the new UI.

Go to settings, then apps,  then choose all apps, go to the bottom and choose system apps. Then find "google play services", force stop it, then disable it, and voila. No more ads.

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, iomgui said:

I bet its already been said, but just in case its super easy to disable the ads in the new UI.

Go to settings, then apps,  then choose all apps, go to the bottom and choose system apps. Then find "google play services", force stop it, then disable it, and voila. No more ads.

Yes, it has been said, but it has also been said that this can bring other types of problems.

CBers
5 minutes ago, iomgui said:

On 26/06/2021 at 09:19, CBers said:

Surely though, if you disable Google Play Services you'll never get any other app updates, including Emby. 

I just uninstalled the updates to Android TV. 

I don't have auto updates enabled, never have.

Riggs

I can confirm after my latest post that I do not have ads anymore on my Shield Home screen. So... case closed to me.

Riggs

I discovered something interesting a couple of days ago. I installed a VPN in my Shield and I connected to a country like Costa Rica (at least with that country it worked for me), and I configured the VPN so that it would NOT make the exception with the YouTube APP (That is, YouTube would use the connected VPN to Costa Rica, the rest of the APPs would work normally and bypass the VPN) then the Home screen without ads gone!
Most VPN clients have this option to exclude / include APPs, it even allows the LAN not to use the VPN.

Can anyone prove this? It worked for me.
As an additional note, it is good to give the VPN about 15 minutes of continuous use and completely open and close the YouTube APP a couple of times while connected to the VPN.

Notes: I have YouTube premium, and I had no problems or changes in the content, in the YouTube APP I made sure that the country was United States. I have global localization disabled in my Shield, anyway I always have it disabled.

Hope this is helpful to someone.
Let me know if anyone did the test and the results.

My best!

Edited by Riggs

1971camaroguy

I disabled google services for the last week, worked great until certain things started getting buggy. Youtube started acting up. I re-enabled and the banner came back....but at least my youtube login came back too and I have my saved preferences

Eff it, I am buying a zappiti for my movies lol, won't buy another shield and may sell the one I have in the living room and get a Roku ultra

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, 1971camaroguy said:

I disabled google services for the last week, worked great until certain things started getting buggy. Youtube started acting up. I re-enabled and the banner came back....but at least my youtube login came back too and I have my saved preferences

@ebr already warned.

On 6/26/2021 at 2:09 PM, ebr said:

Yeah that "solution" is bound to cause problems down the road.

gillmacca01

I personally don't have the problem with the ads. The amount of time I spent on the home page, is minimal, just enough for the shield to wake up and Emby being selected

• Like 1

CBers
25 minutes ago, 1971camaroguy said:

All you need to do is uninstall updated for Android TV Home and don't allow Auto-Updates.

I did that 3 weeks ago and not had any issues since, manually updating other apps as they become available.

FrostByte
19 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

I personally don't have the problem with the ads. The amount of time I spent on the home page, is minimal, just enough for the shield to wake up and Emby being selected

If you use the button mapper app you can configure up to 3 apps to auto start after wake up using single click, double click, or long press on most buttons to go straight into apps.  If you have the new remote the Netflix button is a great button to use for that.

• Like 4

Spaceboy
28 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

If you use the button mapper app you can configure up to 3 apps to auto start after wake up using single click, double click, or long press on most buttons to go straight into apps.  If you have the new remote the Netflix button is a great button to use for that.

and if you have a harmony remote you can set that button as part of the start up sequence and never see the homescreen

• Like 1

Sammy
2 hours ago, Spaceboy said:

and if you have a harmony remote you can set that button as part of the start up sequence and never see the homescreen

Can this be programmed in without having the new remote?

Spaceboy
On 15/07/2021 at 17:52, Sammy said:

Can this be programmed in without having the new remote?

yes, shortcuts are available on any shield regardless of remote

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

CBers
1 hour ago, ebr said:

The big question will be will they make that available to all apps...

Have you asked?

vdatanet
28 minutes ago, CBers said:

Have you asked?

Remember to ask also How much Is it 🤑?