Update Emby version

msauve
Go to solution Solved by Baenwort,

msauve

Hi guys,

I've just migrated my Emby server and jail from FreeNas to TrueNas.

On FreeNas I had a jail 11.2-RELEASE-p15 with the Emby plugin intalled on. On my new one running on TrueNas: 12.2-RELEASE-p8, I wasn't able to install Emby plugin. That's why I've reached out out and  I had some help from you guys to be able to back up my old server and to be able to reinstall my Emby server directly form the Jail SHELL.

Every steps that you've proposed me to follow had all worked out. I'm really thankful for your help regarding this migration issue. 

Now I'm running version 4.6.0.52 beta and there's an other available version the 4.7.0.3 one. Because I didn't install Emby from the plugin section I can't update it. When I'm trying to update it directly form the Jail with the update button, I'm getting the attached error message. 

Can someone please guide me through the update process? I've tried several option shown on the forum but no one worked.

Thanks a lot guys! ;)

Best regards,
Max :D 

Update.png

ActualRunningRelease.png

UpdateErro.png

msauve
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Not a platform user, but have you seen this topic?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/98878-emby-plugin-update-on-truenas

Thanks @Happy2Play for your help.

Unfortunately, this was the way I was using with my other server on FreeNas. It worked just as explained into the tutorial. 

But now, I'm running on TrueNas and Emby server is directly installed in the Jail and not from a plugin.

I'll be waiting for further help from other members of the forum.

@LukeHave you got an idea on my particular issue?

Thanks a lot guys :) 

Max! 

• Solution
Baenwort

***DISCLAIMER - ALWAYS SNAPSHOT YOUR JAIL BEFORE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS FROM RANDOM STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET***

Once you build emby yourself in a jail you will have to perform the following steps in the shell of the jail to update:

service emby-server stop

pkg upgrade

pkg add -f ***link from https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/ of the exact version you want to upgrade. In this case you would want to find the freebsd11 and copy link to the txz***

service emby-server start

An alternative to creating the second pkg command is to go to: https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html and copy just the pkg add -f line from the version that matches your TrueNAS major version number.

At least that is how I do it. This is due to the fact that you are running the beta version via a pkg add install.

If you switch to the stable release train installed via "pkg install emby-server" you can update via the TrueNAS GUI or just typing pkg update as the stable version of emby is eventually available from the FreeBSD pkg manager.

Since you are currently on a beta version that is older than the currently released stable version (4.6.3) you in theory could jump over to stable by doing:

service emby-server stop

pkg upgrade

pkg remove emby-server
	(type Y to agree to removing the current Emby server install. This will not destroy your config)

pkg install emby-server

However, running the stable channel from package to get the GUI update button to work may mean you will be behind on updates as it can sometimes take weeks for the FreeBSD package manager to update to the latest stable after it's release. This is why most people either do the plug-in option or the manual pkg add install (this lets you choose which version you run and lets you update as fast or slow as you want). 

• Like 1

msauve
1 hour ago, Luke said:

@msauve has this helped?

On 19/06/2021 at 15:25, Baenwort said:

***DISCLAIMER - ALWAYS SNAPSHOT YOUR JAIL BEFORE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS FROM RANDOM STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET***

Once you build emby yourself in a jail you will have to perform the following steps in the shell of the jail to update:

service emby-server stop

pkg upgrade

pkg add -f ***link from https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/ of the exact version you want to upgrade. In this case you would want to find the freebsd11 and copy link to the txz***

An alternative to creating the second pkg command is to go to: https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html and copy just the pkg add -f line from the version that matches your TrueNAS major version number.

At least that is how I do it. This is due to the fact that you are running the beta version via a pkg add install.

If you switch to the stable release train installed via "pkg install emby-server" you can update via the TrueNAS GUI or just typing pkg update as the stable version of emby is eventually available from the FreeBSD pkg manager.

Since you are currently on a beta version that is older than the currently released stable version (4.6.3) you in theory could jump over to stable by doing:

service emby-server stop

pkg upgrade

pkg remove emby-server
	(type Y to agree to removing the current Emby server install. This will not destroy your config)

pkg install emby-server

However, running the stable channel from package to get the GUI update button to work may mean you will be behind on updates as it can sometimes take weeks for the FreeBSD package manager to update to the latest stable after it's release. This is why most people either do the plug-in option or the manual pkg add install (this lets you choose which version you run and lets you update as fast or slow as you want). 

Hi @Luke,

I was going to try the proposition of @Baenwort this week and letting you know :)

What option do you recommend me to use @Luke? The first one or the second one?

As I've told into my orignal problematic, I can't update my Emby server with the plugging updates because I've previously used your recommendation of installing directly my Emby server from the SHELL directly into the Jail without have to pass through the plugin installation. This method worked just fine for me :) 

Now where I've got an issue is when I'm talking about upgrading my server. 😕 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your experience with me before I proceed. Before starting any tests, I'll be snapshoting  my JAIL for sure ;)

Regards,

Max

MRobi

Follow @Baenwort's instructions except if you've created a new jail with FreeBSD 12 you'd want to use the latest freebsd 12 release not 11.

I personally prefer the first method where you specify the link to the file, this way you can determine which version you install and when. Sometimes the pkg isn't updated for a week or 2 after a new release, so doing it this way you can grab the latest release within minutes of it coming out.

msauve
On 21/06/2021 at 20:41, MRobi said:

Follow @Baenwort's instructions except if you've created a new jail with FreeBSD 12 you'd want to use the latest freebsd 12 release not 11.

I personally prefer the first method where you specify the link to the file, this way you can determine which version you install and when. Sometimes the pkg isn't updated for a week or 2 after a new release, so doing it this way you can grab the latest release within minutes of it coming out.

Thanks a lot @MRobi :) 

I've done the first option once my jail snapshoted and it worked like a charm. 

Another thanks to @Baenwortfor is two options for upgrading my Emby server. ;) I've tried the first option just as @MRobisuggested me. Also thanks to @Luke who's always making his best by helping out or by doing some follow-up 👍

Best regards guys,

Max :D 

• Like 1