Question about my hard drive

Dont1982

Q-Droid

I don't use OMV and not familiar with the UI.

Look in Portainer for the Emby container. The Host/volume mapped to /config is the path that should be owned by the UID/GID running Emby, also in Portainer.

Whether you change ownership from a shell session or the OMV UI the end result should be the same.

Q-Droid
4 hours ago, Dont1982 said:

ok i just changed the guid and such to the root guid and we will see what that does.

I don't know what you mean by this. Nowhere in this thread has root been discussed.

Q-Droid

I would advise against running Emby as root on your server. That said, you are less likely to run into problems with permissions this way...😁

For future reference if you decide to change things or start over Emby runs best when the runtime user (not root) owns the configuration directory, files within it and also the media files and directories. It's the most reliable way to do it. If the media files are owned by an existing non-root user then the simplest thing would be to use that UID/GID to run the container.

Or alternatively create a user in OMV, for example user emby, group emby and configure the container with this UID/GID. Then also change ownership of the media directories and files to the same user and group. There are many other options which also need a basic understanding of OMV and Linux. 

Now that you've gone down the path of using root some cleanup will be needed if or when you decide to change it. If it works for you now and Emby is the only thing this server does then it's not a big deal to leave it as is. Just don't enable remote access or streaming.

Q-Droid

It's not that you can't but a bad idea. From a security point of view you should not expose services running as root to the internet. If there are vulnerabilities to exploit it could be done with the highest privilege on the system.

Dont1982

I think so. I do not have any other error messages on the Emby dashboard about trying to search for updates. Thank you all

3 hours ago, Dont1982 said:

I think so. I do not have any other error messages on the Emby dashboard about trying to search for updates. Thank you all

Thanks for the feedback.