Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos not working on Roku

Perfectonline

Perfectonline

Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos not working on Roku

I play movies on Roku Player but Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos doesn't work.
Atmos sound not play (but DTS sound works)
And the Dolby vision image is not displayed (display only HDR)

Hi.  I'm not sure the Roku player is going to support these in the formats you are providing but can we please look at specifics from an example?

Thanks.

Only the very latest Roku Ultra 2020 (model 4800) supports DolbyVision. Very high end Roku TV also support DolbyVision. ATMOS support requires encoding with E-AC3 in 8 channels (7.1).

https://wiki2.org/en/Roku#Feature_comparison

The chart above will explain the different features of each Roku model.

Edited by speechles

Perfectonline

Yes. I use Roku Ultra 2020 (model 4800)

Netflix , Apple Tv it work.
Emby Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos not working

13 hours ago, speechles said:

Only the very latest Roku Ultra 2020 (model 4800) supports DolbyVision. Very high end Roku TV also support DolbyVision. ATMOS support requires encoding with E-AC3 in 8 channels (7.1).

https://wiki2.org/en/Roku#Feature_comparison

The chart above will explain the different features of each Roku model.

rbjtech

Does it play ok if you disable the subtitles - as that is currently the reason it is transcoding - it says so in the log and on your SFN screenshot ...

Failing that, the MKV may be a dual layer DV rip and it needs to be a single layer.   Can you provide details for the 'media info' screen on emby - does it have 2 VIDEO tracks or just one ?

btw - what the streaming apps play will be irrelevant - as they will be using a lower DV profile and EAC3 Atmos (compressed) - this rip will be using a disk based DV profile and TrueHD Atmos (uncompressed audio).

To further add - your Max bitrate on the Roku is 35Mbit (auto) - this is a 52Mbit/sec source file, so you need to get your Roku to accept more bandwidth - at least 70Mbit/sec to give you some headroom.  Are you on wireless or wired (does the Roku have wired Ethernet?)

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Perfectonline

- I tried turning off the subtitles, no better.

- I tried playing the same file, multiple files in Zidoo Z9X which support Dolby Vision & Atmos can play normally.

- I tried playing 5-6 movies in the box, Zidoo Z9X plays well. It doesn't have the same problems as Roku.

- I tried adjusting the bandwidth to 110Mb/s but Not works

- I am connected to the internet via LAN cable.

All in all, I did a lot of things, many steps, many methods, but it made Emby only play up to HDR + DTS. 

00001.jpg

ffmpeg-directstream-d00b9b95-9dc9-4216-8a17-50046788e708_1.txt

rbjtech
1 hour ago, Perfectonline said:

- I tried turning off the subtitles, no better.

No that is much better, as you are no longer transcoding - you are direct playing.

- I tried playing the same file, multiple files in Zidoo Z9X which support Dolby Vision & Atmos can play normally.

So looking at the specs for the Zidoo box, it can playback DV Profile 7 (UHD Blu-ray spec) - which is why this works.  I'm not 100% sure if the Roku can playback DV profile 7.  The only other media player I know that can player profile 7 (as well as the Zidoo) is the Shield Pro.

DOLBY VISION MEL+FEL Zidoo Z9X supports all Dolby Vision profiles (4, 5, 6, 7, 8 all levels) including dual layer profiles 4 and 7 using the base layer + RPU. Specific format support includes P7 BD-ISO/MKV/MP4 MEL&FEL, P4 MKV/MP4 MEL&FEL, P5 MKV/MP4 and P8 in MKV/MP4. In addition to Dolby Vision Direct and Dolby Vision LLDV, Dolby's VS10 HDR processing engine can improve dynamic range for all HDR material.

- I tried adjusting the bandwidth to 110Mb/s but Not works

- I am connected to the internet via LAN cable.

This has helped a lot - the Roku is limited to 100Mbit/sec on it's interface - but that should cater for the majority of 4K Remux files.

I suspect the file IS single layer, but reading the above suggest the Zidoo does play DV7 dual layer which is VERY surprising (and good news..) - but if you can list the Media Info as requested, then I can confirm this.

Unfortunately, it is looking like the Roku does not support DV Profile 7 - and there is nothing Emby can do about that I'm afraid, so it drops to the default HDR10 instead.

Edited by rbjtech

roaku

Also, I don't know of any Rokus that support TrueHD.

The Rokus that support Atmos only support the EAC3/DD+ version, which is what streaming apps like Netflix and Disney+ use.

Edited by roaku

Hi.  I believe all the analysis in here is correct.  Has that answered your questions?

Perfectonline

In summary, emby for roku is supported max at hdr10 and without atmos (max at dts) support. 

I tried my best can only do this

11 minutes ago, Perfectonline said:

n summary, emby for roku is supported max at hdr10 and without atmos (max at dts) support

Hi.  This is not an Emby limitation, it is a device one.  It will support atmos tracks but only if the underlying audio is DD+ - not TrueHD.  And it should support DV for single-layer profile 5 when direct played.   Unfortunately, ripped media will virtually never meet those specifications.  Media streamed from places like Netflix do.

• Agree 1

Happy2Play

Found this on the Roku forum but for a different Roku version.

Roku players only support the version of Dolby Atmos that is used by online streaming providers. This is a Dolby Digital+ lossy stream with Atmos metadata included. This is NOT the Atmos that is included on Blu Ray discs. That version is the Dolby TrueHD lossless codec, which Roku does NOT support via bitstreaming.

• Agree 1

RanmaCanada
23 hours ago, Perfectonline said:

Okay, I'll go talk to Roku about the next problem.

Roku won't do anything as there is no problem with playback from legit services.  They absolutely will not care about it being broken with "pirated" materials (as in most countries it is still illegal for you to break the copy protection on your bought media and make backups).

• Agree 1