Interoperability issue between Kodi plugin and EmbyServer

mattia3rd
Go to solution Solved by mattia3rd,

mattia3rd

Hi,

let me first describe my environment.

• Current Emby Server 4.6.2.0 (recently upgraded from 4.5.4.0_1)
  • LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2.6 with Kodi 18.9
    • with Emby plugin stable version 1.0.6 installed from emby.kodi.tv as per this doc
  • I use either Emby Android app or Web UI access 

Now the question:

After upgrading my Emby Server, as previously described, I'm not more able to play videos from the Android app or Web UI to my Kodi.

I'm searching for a solution if it exists.

I see that the plugin on Github has not been updated since the end of 2020..

Are there any advices?

TeamB

@mattia3rd

Which add-on are you actually using, you mention "the Emby plugin" but there are 4 kodi add-ons you could be using. You link to the EmbyCon add-on install post but then you link to the Emby for Kodi github repo these are two different add-ons.

The link above to the current statuses of all the add-ons is current and shows the dev/stable statuses for all 4 add-ons.

If you are using EmbyCon then the remote action should work, i have tested it and i have not received any reports of it being broken.

First test you can playback back using EmbyCon on your kodi, open kodi and open your add-ons, select EmbyCon and then Emby Libraries, select an item to play from one of your Emby libraries listed. When the item is playing open the web client on your pc and make sure in the dashboard you see the kodi client listed and that it is playing the media item you selected and are currently playing on your kodi client. If that is all working then remote control playback should also work.

I also just noticed you mentioned version 1.0.6, this sound like the repo version not the add-on version, did you actually install the EmbyCon add-on?

You should have been prompted to set up your connection to the Emby server, did that happen, did you do that?

Edited by TeamB

mattia3rd
7 hours ago, TeamB said:

@mattia3rd

Which add-on are you actually using, you mention "the Emby plugin" but there are 4 kodi add-ons you could be using. You link to the EmbyCon add-on install post but then you link to the Emby for Kodi github repo these are two different add-ons.

The link above to the current statuses of all the add-ons is current and shows the dev/stable statuses for all 4 add-ons.

If you are using EmbyCon then the remote action should work, i have tested it and i have not received any reports of it being broken.

First test you can playback back using EmbyCon on your kodi, open kodi and open your add-ons, select EmbyCon and then Emby Libraries, select an item to play from one of your Emby libraries listed. When the item is playing open the web client on your pc and make sure in the dashboard you see the kodi client listed and that it is playing the media item you selected and are currently playing on your kodi client. If that is all working then remote control playback should also work.

I also just noticed you mentioned version 1.0.6, this sound like the repo version not the add-on version, did you actually install the EmbyCon add-on?

You should have been prompted to set up your connection to the Emby server, did that happen, did you do that?

Let's go step by step

1. I used EmbyCon and ok "this sound like the repo version not the add-on version". I don't know how to figure the version out. I've already check my config and the only thing I see is that Auto-Update is enabled.. There is no version printed anywhere.

2. I did exactly the steps you highlighted. I'am able to connect from Kodi to EmbyServer, I can browse my library and I can play videos, BUT I cannot use "PlayON" and, just to be more precisely, I can see all my devices in my EmbyServer configuration (check this image)
image.thumb.png.150bec18dc39ec6406cfb827c3fc3e49.png

PS: from here I cann see the EmbyCon version :D (this is awkward but helpful maybe)

Here is the problem, everything seems to be fine but PlayOn doesn't work

image.png.179cfc2861d56dadb6d52c27716f4e88.png

This should clarify my situation, if not ask more please

TeamB

ok you are using the latest version of EmbyCon.

When you play something back in Kodi using EmbyCon can you go to the Web client Dashboard and see the Kodi client under the Active Devices, it should show you what your Kodi client is currently playing, does this work?

mattia3rd
47 minutes ago, TeamB said:

ok you are using the latest version of EmbyCon.

When you play something back in Kodi using EmbyCon can you go to the Web client Dashboard and see the Kodi client under the Active Devices, it should show you what your Kodi client is currently playing, does this work?

Yes I can see it

image.png.80d9f25b357d9a6ed48813f230d583d3.png

pünktchen

The EmbyCon option to allow remote control is not activated by default i think. Check the addon settings.

TeamB
2 hours ago, mattia3rd said:

Yes I can see it

image.png.80d9f25b357d9a6ed48813f230d583d3.png

But does it show the currently playing item when you play an item on the Kodi client.

Check the allow remote control option in the EmbyCon settings.

• Solution
mattia3rd
2 hours ago, TeamB said:

But does it show the currently playing item when you play an item on the Kodi client.

Check the allow remote control option in the EmbyCon settings.

Ok
I checked everything and all is setup correctly, as the last chance i rebooted Kodi and the problem got solved
No word about that, but problem solved

Thank you all