Matching Artist/Album Genres to embedded tags a.k.a removing genres no longer present in embedded tags

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

I understand that Emby add embedded genres to objects during scanning but doesnt remove existing genres.

I want Emby to always match the embedded genres (i never add genres on purpose manually to my music, i always defer to embedded tags on my music library)

my library has lots of spurious genres due to an issue so i would like to clear the genres out without wiping the database, so emby can revert back to the 'true' picture.

would there be a better way than

does it matter which order object genres are zeroed in, (tracks>albums>artists?)

PenkethBoy

without a great amount of thought but....

to get emby to re read them - first i would zero out all the genres - as emby will add but not remove genres on a refresh

so by using the api you can zero them all out first

then do a refresh once you have corrected / removed the spurious ones from the song tags etc

and should get what you want

• Thanks 1

ginjaninja

just refreshing an artist removes the spurious genres,....was looking forward to writing that script..oh well doesnt look like it wont be necessary 

before refresh

image.thumb.png.a181169f407067d105e807a5c050136b.png

after refresh

image.thumb.png.2d04d76dac51962d56c9607458503178.png

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Do you consider this resolved now?

Hi luke, yes its all good thanks for asking

We were both under the impression/expectation (i believe)  that scanning added genres but didnt remove genres (thats what precipitated this topic)...so i was surprised that a library refresh post 7.0.3 cleaned everything up. Is there anything you can clarify here about the way genres work during refreshes for future reference?

Yea I can see why this would happen on a regular scan but bot a metadata refresh, so it's something that needs to be looked at.