The Emby Server needs to be updated. To download the latest version, please visit...

dougw03
Go to solution Solved by dougw03,

dougw03

Hello,

I am using the latest version of Emby client on Ipad Pro 2018 and cannot connect to my Emby Server running on Synology NAS. My Emby Server is v4.6.2 and does not say there are any updates available, however, when I try to connect from my iPad I get the following error: "The Emby Server needs to be updated. To download the latest version, please visit" followed by a link to emby.media. Any idea how to get around this? I am trying to download media before my flight tomorrow.

dougw03

Sorry for the delay - was out of town for a family bereavement. I am on v2.0.8 emby iOS (ipadOS)

Are you behind a VPN? I think this error message is being shown incorrectly and the actual problem is a network connection failure.

dougw03

This is on my LAN - no VPN on the network. On the same LAN, I am able to connect to my server from my Android phone without any issues.

Hi, try entering the server address manually, but yes I can confirm this is the problem, that it's unable to connect and it's just showing you the wrong error message.

dougw03

Thanks. I can use the local address but cannot use my Remote (WAN) access address. I get an error saying that the server is unavailable. I can reach my server from the external address from my windows PC on the same LAN so I know the DDNS server is working. This is problematic for me when I am away from home since I don't have a static IP address. Are you able to confirm this is also a problem?

No I don't think there is a general problem, I think there is just a problem in your case, so we need to hunt down what that might be.

Are you using https for the remote address?

pwhodges

It could be that the router will do loopback on a wired connection (is your desktop wired) but not on a wireless connection.  Have you tried the iPad without wireless enabled, so it accesses the network from the external cellphone network?

Paul

dougw03
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

No I don't think there is a general problem, I think there is just a problem in your case, so we need to hunt down what that might be.

Are you using https for the remote address?

I am using http for my address

dougw03
4 hours ago, pwhodges said:

It could be that the router will do loopback on a wired connection (is your desktop wired) but not on a wireless connection.  Have you tried the iPad without wireless enabled, so it accesses the network from the external cellphone network?

Paul

My server is a NAS connected to my router via ethernet. My phone (android) and PC (windows) are both connected via wifi and do not have any issues with accessing the server via the remote address 

Can you please attach the emby server log from when you tried to connect with iOS? I'm not sure it's going to tell us much but it's worth checking. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...