What people are using to edit their content

all4dom

all4dom

Right now I have been using avidemux to edit my recorded content. Lately I'm having some issues & am wondering what are others using. I know.about video redo, but was not looking to pay $100 for it. Any suggestions is appreciated. 

all4dom

I'm editing recorded tv shows. I tried shotcut but it was not as avidemux I thought. Plus it was not saving my video as an mkv. 

PenkethBoy

Depends what you mean by editing?

chopping out commercials, or trimming fluff off either end or do you do more than that?

Edited by PenkethBoy

Spaceboy

i've got a older version of videoredo that i use if there is lots of chopping to be done

BAlGaInTl

I've used OpenShot (also open source) for some basic video editing.

OpenShot Video Editor | Free, Open, and Award-Winning Video Editor for Linux, Mac, and Windows!

I evaluated several free editors, and it was the easiest to use.  Davinci Resolve also has a free version... it's extremely powerful, but has a bit steeper learning curve.

As others have said... it would be nice to have more info on what kind of editing you are doing.  

all4dom

I thought I posted above but I'm just editing the commercials out of my tv recordings from emby or cdvr.

I still use AVIDemux as it's about the easiest to use to quickly remove all commercials.

I have Video Redo as well.

skidmarks

MCEBuddy does exactly what you are trying to do.  Its been forever since i used it, recall it was hit or miss back then.  Might want to see if it is matured since then.

all4dom

@cayarsmy problem with avidemux is it cant edit shows that change frame rate. So if a show is 1080 or even 720, on some shows it tells me the frame rate changes to something like 920, & it will not allow me to edit the show. Avidemux is the best out of all of them that I can edit a show in about a minute, but that issue is driving me crazy.

Do you mean resolution?  I've never come across a files I can't edit in avidemux.

Anyway you could upload one of these shows somewhere to let me take a look at one of them?
Cable or OTA show?

Maisy

I use Avidemux  to trim the ends off of certain shows. I was cutting commercials myself, but found that with everything I'm saving it was just not what I wanted to do. So I added MCEBuddy to process everything to remove commercials and save as mkv.

So Avidemux to trim ends and copy, certain things, and that fed to MCEBuddy,  and all the other stuff to MCEBuddy too.

If I do cut commercials myself then I use MKVToolNix to put it together. (Just what I do.)

I do it the opposite @Maisy.  I'll run recordings through MCEBuddy to cut the commercials with no other processing done.
Then I cut front/end off using AVIdemux and quickly scroll through to make sure it didn't miss any commercials which is sometimes does.

Then after saving it I run it through my pipeline which adds a 2 channel AAC audio channel, removes non-English audio unless it's the only track and converts the video to HEVC.

Maisy

That sounds good too! Especially since yeah, commercials can be missed. I know I can't quite make this stuff look like it came from a disc rip but I may end up changing around eventually to control it all the more. I am always open to improving, as it is, I have MCEBuddy doing all the processing (commercials+HEVC+mkv) and besides snippets of commercials left, it pretty good. I don't watch a lot of it yet, so once I do more of that, it's gonna push me to do something different no doubt. (I'm collecting old shows to binge watch)

Edited by Maisy

all4dom

I never used mcebuddy. I was always able to skim through a show editing put everything in about a min. So i never minded doing my shows by hand instead of automating it through mcebuddy. I use channels for my m3u tunners & it does a pretty decent job of editing out commercials, but the problem is it didn't save to the file. If emby could do something like that then that would be a big plus.

• 2 weeks later...
gungatim

For DVR recorded content I run everything through MCEBuddy. it works about 80% of the time. it depends on which channel and format it was originally recorded in, and of course signal strength.  the big main networks work good, the older shows in 4:3 format on some channels is where I have trouble. the ones that don't work I do by hand.

for those shows that MCEBuddy doesn't work for or for recorded movies off tubi or other free apps with commercials using a clonerbox, I use MP4-Cloner software. you can do multi-trim, regular trim, combine, and it also burns dvd's and iso files better than anything i've found.  it is free if you buy an HDML cloner box for recording anything from HDMI (like firestick) and you get like 6 licenses for free, You can buy it outright as well.

https://www.cloner-alliance.com/mp4-cloner/