How to update Emby?

Juw

Hello i'm running Emby server 4.4.3.0 on a Ds916+ with DSM 6.2.4-25556 , all is working right but in my Emby Server Manager i got the message that i can update  but when i go to the Paquets Center, i've no update available.

Can you tell me what can i do?

Capture d’écran 2021-06-12 à 17.14.11.png

FrostByte

The update message in the Emby server dashboard should contain a link to the updated spk files.  Download the one appropriate for your NAS and do a manual install just like you did  before

26 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

The update message in the Emby server dashboard should contain a link to the updated spk files.  Download the one appropriate for your NAS and do a manual install just like you did  before

Thank you for the answer but no i dont have link in my dashboard, look :

Capture d’écran 2021-06-12 à 18.15.21.png

Hi, I think you may have missed the 4.5 announcement of how to update Synology:

At least until we're in the official Synology store, it's a manual update process of downloading the spk from our website:

https://emby.media/download

18 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, I think you may have missed the 4.5 announcement of how to update Synology:

At least until we're in the official Synology store, it's a manual update process of downloading the spk from our website:

https://emby.media/download

Ok thank you, but this is not a new install right? I will not loose all my configuration, playlist, fav, … ?

FrostByte

Nothing will be lost.  It will perform an upgrade of your previous install.

Sorry about earlier, the next update time the link should be in the dashboard highlighted in green.  You have to do the initial manual install first.

Hi guys, just a message to say that i have manually installed the update 4.6.2 and all is working fine, so thank you :)

Edited by Juw
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
darrell_duff

@FrostByte I just did as you stated and it wiped my entire Emby install that has been running for 3-4 years and I am crushed.  I can't remember all the stuff I went through to get this up and running with remote connections and a dedicated URL.  This is not a great way to start my weekend or an already stressful month.

Update: backup configurations saved my mental state of mind.

Edited by darrell_duff

FrostByte
50 minutes ago, darrell_duff said:

@FrostByte I just did as you stated and it wiped my entire Emby install that has been running for 3-4 years and I am crushed.  I can't remember all the stuff I went through to get this up and running with remote connections and a dedicated URL.  This is not a great way to start my weekend or an already stressful month.

What version did you have installed previously and what version did you just upgrade to? 

There may be a problem upgrading to 4.6.7 from older versions

1 hour ago, darrell_duff said:

Hi, Are you on DSM 6 or 7?  You didn't update DSM when this happened correct?  This was only an Emby Server upgrade correct?
What's your current status?  Are you good now?
If not I can offer to remote in, have a look and assist if possible.

If you are ok now, could you do me a favor and PM your emby server logs from the time of the update so we can take a look at them?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
darrell_duff

I upgraded from 4.4.3 to 4.6.7 and am running on DSM 6. I saw too many issues with the early release of DSM 7 and non-synology  packages.

Thankfully I set up a config/settings backup for emby, found and discovered these backups and decided to see what would happen if I could figure out how to restore them. 

It brought back my settings and users but the library data and watched history per user and latest video data didn't quite recover but I can live with that.

No idea about obtaining logs or the contents of them.

Logs are found in either the logs folder or from the Logs menu in the web Dashboard.

If you look in the data folder from your previous backups do you have a users.db or library.db file?

Happy2Play
8 hours ago, darrell_duff said:

I upgraded from 4.4.3 to 4.6.7 and am running on DSM 6. I saw too many issues with the early release of DSM 7 and non-synology  packages.

Thankfully I set up a config/settings backup for emby, found and discovered these backups and decided to see what would happen if I could figure out how to restore them. 

It brought back my settings and users but the library data and watched history per user and latest video data didn't quite recover but I can live with that.

No idea about obtaining logs or the contents of them.

Skipping a major release will cause issues also as there are major migrations that happens in 4.5 and 4.6.

In the end a clean install is better if you are skipping major releases and just use the Server Configuration Backup plugin to restore users and userdata.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Necro'ing this thread to echo the experience of losing everything on this manual upgrade.  I thought I had a backup, but it looks like my latest backup is like 4 years old, I guess they stopped running and I never bothered to check.

My fault, of course, for not having backups... but still completely crushing.  Anyone else stumbling into this issue should beware, and absolutely ensure you have taken (and ideally verified) a working recent backup.

I should add after some initial rebuilding of the library that all of my title images and metadata did eventually load back in, but I believe because I store metadata with the files?  In the end, I think all I'll have to do manually is identify and re-add all my library paths, re-create my collections (that's a little more painful), and figure out what episode I was on in shows that were in progress.

Advice above still stands, though:  Make sure you have a good backup, folks (especially before trying to manually upgrade in place).

but I believe because I store metadata with the files?

Hi, yes this will help make rebuilds considerably easier.

Just Emby, following the manual instructions linked above because my version had fallen out of date and was not updating through package manager.

Honestly hasn't been too bad putting things back together thanks to storing metadata with files.  This should really be the default configuration setting if it isn't already, because it was a lifesaver.

My biggest loss was my manually cultivated collections I had for various reasons, and I haven't tackled going through the library to try and piece those back together yet, but pretty much everything else is good to go.

Also want to reiterate:  No hard feelings on this end related to the whole thing, this was clearly my fault for not fully understanding the process and ensuring I had a solid backup before proceeding.  I absolutely love Emby and consider premier one of my best purchases of all time.  Really appreciate everything, even the recent lesson in not being so hasty with my software upgrades. ;)

• Agree 1

As far as providing proactive solutions in the future, it would be good if Emby itself could perhaps warn via the normal UI that automatic updates aren't working for some reason and that a version is falling behind (if this already exists and I somehow was just not seeing it, then please disregard and accept my apologies).  In this case, I didn't even realize the issue existed until it became an emergency when my TV's version would no longer allow me to connect to the server because of version incompatibilities, at which point I was in a rush to upgrade to fix the problem.  If I'd realized this was an issue on the horizon I may have been a bit less hasty in trying to fix it.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, kthanid said:

As far as providing proactive solutions in the future, it would be good if Emby itself could perhaps warn via the normal UI that automatic updates aren't working for some reason and that a version is falling behind (if this already exists and I somehow was just not seeing it, then please disregard and accept my apologies).  In this case, I didn't even realize the issue existed until it became an emergency when my TV's version would no longer allow me to connect to the server because of version incompatibilities, at which point I was in a rush to upgrade to fix the problem.  If I'd realized this was an issue on the horizon I may have been a bit less hasty in trying to fix it.

Well Synology never actually had automatic updates via the Emby Server UI. But yes I understand your point that a warning in the software would have been much easier to find than something after the problem has already occurred.

Yeah, normally Synology reports package updates being available in its own UI (and I log in and process these every month or so).  Emby would have updates in once in a while, but then there weren't any for a long time and I just passively assumed there were no updates to be had.

• Thanks 1