Cannot get Android EMBY App to connect to EMBY Server.

RussMcFall
Go to solution Solved by RussMcFall,

RussMcFall

Yes on my phone I can go to google.com.  For a test I have an app Media Monkey.  ran that an selected the UPnP option.  When doing that with my Tablet I see immediately EMBY plus my Desktop.  When running that on my Android Phone nothing displays.  That see to me to indicated something with my phone and its settings.

Let's try something else.  Do you know your phone's IP address when on WIFI?
You can likely find it in your routers DHCP table of leases or can get it from the phone itself in the system/wifi area.

What I'd like you to try and do is go to the Emby Server machine and then perform a ping to the phone.

Does it timeout or can you ping the phone?

ernstgot

Also having this issue, after removing device (cell phone) from devices on server list. Tried IP address and DNS, however on the cell phone browser both work. This is the case remotely and within network.

16 hours ago, RussMcFall said:

Received message "request timed out"

That seems to indicate a network isolation of your WIFI.  Many WIFI setups these days run in isolation mode by default which gives you access to the Internet but not LAN resources.  Sometimes you can override this in the router.

13 hours ago, ernstgot said:

Also having this issue, after removing device (cell phone) from devices on server list. Tried IP address and DNS, however on the cell phone browser both work. This is the case remotely and within network.

Hi, If you can connect via browser but not the app, I'd try clearing the app cache and trying again.

ernstgot
48 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, If you can connect via browser but not the app, I'd try clearing the app cache and trying again.

Yes, done that. Force stopped, uninstalled, restarted.

14 hours ago, ernstgot said:

What URL did you use in the browser?

1 minute ago, ernstgot said:

Yes, done that. Force stopped, uninstalled, restarted.

What method of connecting were you using in the App?  Emby Connect or manually settings up the IP/port?

• Solution
RussMcFall

I found the problem.  I rebooted my home modem and that cleared up the issue with my Cell Phone.  All it good now. I want to thank everyone for all their help.  It was all this that help lead me to what was causing the problem.  Thank you all very, very much.  EMBY has a great team of support. 

Nicely done.  Glad your modem decided to cooperate. LOL

ernstgot
8 hours ago, cayars said:

What URL did you use in the browser?

What method of connecting were you using in the App?  Emby Connect or manually settings up the IP/port?

Manual settings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
ernstgot
On 6/17/2021 at 4:56 PM, ernstgot said:

Manual settings.

However I did the same and still no luck.

ernstgot
1 hour ago, cayars said:

What URL did you manually enter when on your home lan?

I've done 192.168.1.20:8097 (yes I switched ports) and my DNS with the port. These both work with the web browser. Just not in the app. I have another server and it works fine in the app. Before you ask yes I have port forwarding on.

This is probably you're issue. 

What are your network settings for all ports?
What do you have in your router for port forwarding?

ernstgot

The thing is it worked till I removed the device (cell phone) from the device list on the server. It's like it won't allow it to reconnect.

ernstgot
8 hours ago, cayars said:

This is probably you're issue. 

What are your network settings for all ports?
What do you have in your router for port forwarding?

No firewall so ports are open and in the router the port that's needed is pointing to the correct ip address that's assigned to the server.

We need to see your firewall port forwarding setup AND your Emby network settings for ports.

We can't help you without this information.

• 1 year later...
Slaapkop

Ive faced similar difficulty setting up my emby App , was reachable everywhere in local network besides android App or chrome.
Eventough i could browse the web etc.

I had previously setup a fixed-ip on the phone , and thus DNS , the problem for me was solved changing the custom DNS to 1.1.1.1.
then the app found my local server immediatly.

Thanks for the post and helpfull replies, It helped me very much troubleshooting !

• Thanks 1