Cannot get Android EMBY App to connect to EMBY Server.

RussMcFall
Go to solution Solved by RussMcFall,

RussMcFall

I have followed the EMBY Connection steps several times.  EMBY will not connect.  Always the same error, "Connection Failure".  Yes the server is running.  Last week the EMBY App on my phone worked just fine.  Then it stopped working. No Connection.  I uninstalled the EMBY Phone App, reinstalled it.  Does not work. 

I can connect from a laptop to the server IP address using FIREFOX. 

Emby plays on my tv's roku. 

It appears to be a problem within the Cell phone, Samsung S7.  No other new apps on my phone. I do not recall changing any of the phone settings.

Any help would be greatly valued.

Thank you

Russ

Edited by RussMcFall

RussMcFall

Yes, it is set for remote access. 

In addition I do have an android Tablet and the EMBY APP is installed on it, and has been installed for several months.  It works fine there.

What happens if you try to login using a web browser on your phone vs the app?
Does that work?

Where error message is shown in the browser when using the URL shown on the Server Dashboard?

RussMcFall

When on the EMBY Server, Desktop and I enter http://192.168.???.??:8096 Emby displays "cannot connect"

Edited by RussMcFall

Assuming Emby is running and you can't connect to it I would check out this article
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Most likely you have a firewall of some type running on the server that's blocking communication.

If you can't figure out the problem send me a PM and we can do a remote session to try and help you out.

RussMcFall

One of the things the android APP ask for is my "Username" and "Password".  I think my user name was my old EMail, i'm not sure.  How can I find my username?

Edited by RussMcFall

How did you make out following the guide above?

We need to diagnose where the problem is so forget testing with the app but use a browser for those tests.

RussMcFall

As an overview...

Using my Android Tablet and my Desktop (where the EMBY Server Is) I can use EMBY just fine.   Using the EMBY Server IP address from my Laptop I can use EMBY just fine.  Using our TV Roku I can use EMBY Just Fine.  That seem to me that EMBY's settings must be ok.  One week ago my Android Cell Phone used EMBY just fine.  It is now the only thing that I cannot get connected to EMBY.  I temporary dropped my MacFee Antivirus Firewall, that did not help.

Edited by RussMcFall

I'm a bit confused on a couple of things.

What In-Home (LAN) Access is shown on the Dashboard on your server?

On 6/12/2021 at 6:16 PM, RussMcFall said:

As an overview...

Using my Android Tablet and my Desktop (where the EMBY Server Is) I can use EMBY just fine.   Using the EMBY Server IP address from my Laptop I can use EMBY just fine.  Using our TV Roku I can use EMBY Just Fine.  That seem to me that EMBY's settings must be ok.  One week ago my Android Cell Phone used EMBY just fine.  It is now the only thing that I cannot get connected to EMBY.  I temporary dropped my MacFee Antivirus Firewall, that did not help.

Is you Android phone connected to your WIFI?

What happens if you open Chrome on the phone and enter in http://192.168.254.68:8096 ?

RussMcFall

The steps in this link did not help.   https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Chrome did not work.

Thank you for all your help.  It is very much appreciated.  I have tried all the suggestions and helps.  Nothing is working.  At this time I will stop trying to use my Cell phone to connect to EMBY.   I will mark this request as completed.

Thank you again very much for your help.

Russ

pwhodges

You didn't confirm whether the phone was connecting by wifi, though.  If it is going via the cell network, then that IP address is not appropriate, and you need to have set up external access to Emby.

Or, like, turn on wifi in the phone.

This will be entirely fixable - we just need to ask the right question.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

16 hours ago, cayars said:

What happens if you open Chrome on the phone and enter in http://192.168.254.68:8096 ?

pwhodges

If you look into the wifi connection settings on the cellphone, what IP address does it have?  (I'm wondering if a rogue DHCP server caused an incompatible change to a different subnet which hasn't yet timed out).

Can you reach Internet sites from the phone when it is connected to the wifi?

You could in any case try telling the phone to forget that wifi connection and then re-establishing it.

Paul

pwhodges

If that was in response to my "other Internet connections" then absolutely the next thing to do is forget the wifi connection and reconnect it from scratch.

Paul

15 minutes ago, RussMcFall said:

I tried the forget and re-establish. No difference.

Forget any app settings right now as it seems like you have a network issue.

Can you get to msn.com, google.com, emby.media from your phone in a browser?