Personalised Recommendations Library - Work in Progress

rbjtech

rbjtech

Just to give you a quick update - @chef has started to look at this and has some early Alpha code put together.

So give it a couple of weeks and we may have an early Beta for users to try.

👍

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
dexus

This looks absolutely fantastic.  Really a great help for my elderly parents that often ask me if I can recommend something up their street.. 
If it's not too much of a hassle, Permissions to recommend would be the only thing I'd wish for other than the basic functionality, that way nobody can recommend something unsuitable for my old parents, or my younger son. 😄

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
12 hours ago, dexus said:

This looks absolutely fantastic.  Really a great help for my elderly parents that often ask me if I can recommend something up their street.. 
If it's not too much of a hassle, Permissions to recommend would be the only thing I'd wish for other than the basic functionality, that way nobody can recommend something unsuitable for my old parents, or my younger son. 😄

This is still in the works - nice idea about the permissions.   I think that would be possible but the only mechanism we have to do it would be the Rating of the item - ie PG, 15, 18 etc but ultimately this would already be enforced by the user anyway.  So if somebody recommended say an 18 rated movie, and the user was restricted to PG only, then it would not appear in their recommendations anyway (filtered out by the ratings) but I need to double check on this.   

Edited by rbjtech

dexus
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So if somebody recommended say an 18 rated movie, and the user was restricted to PG only, then it would not appear in their recommendations anyway (filtered out by the ratings) but I need to double check on this.   

That would be sufficient for the contents of the recommendations, but what I was initially thinking about, was a flag in the settings of the plugin server side where you allow or disallow specific users to be able to "recommend"
That way the Admin of the server can specify which users are allowed to recommend to each other, have a "moderation team", or simply just allow the server admin only to recommend.

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, dexus said:

That would be sufficient for the contents of the recommendations, but what I was initially thinking about, was a flag in the settings of the plugin server side where you allow or disallow specific users to be able to "recommend"
That way the Admin of the server can specify which users are allowed to recommend to each other, have a "moderation team", or simply just allow the server admin only to recommend.

Ah with you - then yes, that's certainly possible but lets get the basics out first and we can add these little features after. Nice. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
rbjtech
18 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Is this going anywhere?

Yes and no.

We have dipped into it and come to the conclusion that until there is a better way to 'highlight' content in emby itself - then it's probably not going to produce the results I wanted.

It's a 'hack' to get the Recommendations to show as I explained above - and not something which we would want to do for a supported plugin.

Hopefully the Core team make it easier to 'highlight' stuff on the GUI and sort out 'Playlists' - once those are done, then we can probably re-visit this.

• Sad 1

PuffyToesToo

I am just stumbling on this now, thank you! I look forward to following this thread and seeing what happens.

fallenwitch3r

It could be a nice feature to have recommendations at the end of a movie or the last episode of series like the recommendations on Netflix.

A popup shows up at the end of a movie or an episode which shows you similar contend to watch. You have the option to choose one of the recommendations or watch the credits to the end. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
TheUrbanXplorer
On 6/11/2021 at 11:29 AM, rbjtech said:

I'm posting here to gauge interest in this potential tool/utility - I use it for my parents and it works really well - but to be useful for the masses, it will need some more time spent on developing the code to make it more universal.  However, before doing that, I wanted to see if this is useful as I don't want to waste my time..

What does it do ?

It creates a 'Recommendations' library for each user based on items added to a Recommendations playlist.  This library is then displayed in the usual 'Latest' list.  As items are watched, they disappear off the list.

Example (Actual) screen grab - (note 'Recommendations Row')

rec0.thumb.PNG.c437efdfb2542b5d4dea857c94c51b52.PNG

How does it work ?

A new library is setup and each user plus a global entry is given their own folder :-

rec0.1.PNG.53e81ddc5c2e270a3d9168a7741a79a4.PNG

In these folders will be links (STRM files) to the real media.  These are automatically created on a schedule via a standard playlist file (see below). 

Individual user based permissions can be applied to these folders - therefore, personalised recommendation lists can be created or globally set if added to the global recommendation playlist.

rec0.2.PNG.48dc69d04315ca8fb77dae0cb4969492.PNG

So for this user - they will just see Recommendations for Rich and Global.

The Recommendations 'library' needs to go to the top of the list for it to be easily visible :-

rec4.PNG.f20f9090231bdfda7ee8f9a0d0b0c342.PNG

Note - if there is nothing in the Recommendation library for that user (ie it is empty) - then the Row will not be shown.

How do I flag an item as a Recommendation and to whom ?

The script pulls the recommendation file locations from the XML playlist - thus you can just use the normal emby playlist functions to add or remove recommendations and add them to the relevant playlist.   Anybody can add any entry to any playlist (as playlists are not permissioned), so be wary of that..

If you want everybody to see the Recommendation - then just add it to the Global Recommendation playlist.

rec0.3.PNG.e4d470e84aa96e9211a2837a88db3e9f.PNG

How often does it update ?

Currently my script just runs every night and automatically creates any new entries added to the playlists.

Now the initial library and playlist setup is done,  this is now fully automated for me - I just add recommendations to the playlist and the following day it appears on those users screens.

Of course, if emby allowed a playlist to have permissions and allowed it to be shown on the main screen in a row, then there would be no need for these scripts to hack a 'virtual' library...

Any thoughts ?     

Is this worth progressing to make the initial setup more automated  ?  

Hello,
what type of library did you set up to read the file?
Somehow the part does not want with me.

I think I have managed the rest. If this is now still displayed, I'm happy.

Cool thing by the way.

TheUrbanXplorer

Somehow the has posted this several times now.
Sorry, can not delete the duplicate.

rbjtech

btw - watch this space.

I won't say any more - but the first stages of having this appear as a channel/plugin on your emby screen are in testing as we speak  ...  ;)

• Thanks 1

TheUrbanXplorer
21 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

btw - watch this space.

I won't say any more - but the first stages of having this appear as a channel/plugin on your emby screen are in testing as we speak  ...  ;)

So a suitable plugin is coming after all?
That would be something.😊

Still, how did you manage with the library?

chef
15 minutes ago, TheUrbanXplorer said:

Looks cool. Is there a plan for when the people can get to this bacon?

Hey 👍 

We are just waiting for some core abilities to be added to help sort the items on the home screen the way we need them. 😁

I should mention that this will most likely be a premium addition. 

TheUrbanXplorer
4 minutes ago, chef said:

Hey 👍 

We are just waiting for some core abilities to be added to help sort the items on the home screen the way we need them. 😁

I should mention that this will most likely be a premium addition. 

That's fine with me, I have a lifetime anyway.

• Haha 1

Cheesegeezer
3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Is this, as previously, a per-user thing, or is it now a per-server thing?

currently it's a per server/admin thing but all users can see the top picks

Edited by Cheesegeezer

crusher11

That's a bit of a disappointment TBH, I liked the first idea whereby you could give each user personalised recommendations.

Cheesegeezer
3 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

That's a bit of a disappointment TBH

Well of course it is!!!  But I'm also not surprised to hear that from you.

🙄

chef

I dunno... seems pretty awesome from where I'm seeing it. Might be just me being biased  though.

I mean it isn't a user based recommendation system,  Sure...  In order to actually pull that off,  things  would have to be implemented in the core, or you can implement what @rbjtech has suggested, which is also awesome.

But this channel plugin will implement Bayesian Like Algorithms (like the ones that are used in platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Youtube)  and use them in Emby.

Auto calculates Top Pick items based on user views, and liked items.

If you turn it on... You also don't have too turn that feature on at all,  and just create a  completely custom channel you want to share with your user base.

With the auto feature turned on though, the more your user base watches (and/or  likes) items, this channel can reflect it.

I think it's gonna be awesome.

I also didn't mean to highjack this thread. I apologize. But I will post a short video (with some super weird music),  that shows a very early look at what is accumulating behind the scenes.

Edited by chef
  • Like 2