Updating Emby server.

Chubchuckle
Go to solution Solved by One2Go,

Chubchuckle

Hello.

I'm currently running Emby server version 3.02 on a WMC machine with Windows 7, is it safe to update to the current version? I've never experienced a flawless update, something always breaks.

Hi.  Coming from a version that old will likely have issues as it isn't something we would have ever tested.  My suggestion would be to do a fresh install on a test system first.

Chubchuckle

Hello.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm just going to do a fresh install on my main system, my concern is whether I can backup  the supporter key and Throgsoft themes license.

They should be okay. Once you've upgraded the server, I assume you are going to move off of WMC...?

Chubchuckle

So here is the thing, I did some testing with Emby theater and Kodi a few years ago and they didn't support Starkcovers or themes. I don't know if this is still the case, and I take it Theater and kodi are still the only option for pc? I would like to move away from WMC but not if it means losing Stark and themes, I don't want to give up on that Chocolate theme 🤭

Why are you looking to upgrade your server if you like everything how it is now?

WMC has long fallen out of support and we've even lost some of the tools we use to maintain our EMC plug-in for it.  It is inevitable that we will have to stop supporting it at some point in the not too distant future.  So, if everything is still working for you, and you don't want to move off of an HTPC or WMC (I highly recommend doing so...) then I'd leave well enough alone.

jachin99

You can't get stark covers in particular but you can get boxart from the emby server coverart plugin.  

Kodi has a few themes that maintain a glassy look also.  I used aeon nox silvo, and i was happy with that skin while I was using Kodi.  Aeon nox silvo also has an option for a vertical home screen menu, and that was just one less adjustment for me.

Chubchuckle

OK that's sad to hear, things are progressing and leaving me behind. Going forward, I really do hope you guys consider implementing some more customization for cover art and themes it really did separate you from the competition at the time. Correction...Theater did support stark covers, it was themes that wasn't supported at the time.

My current issue is some of Throg themes would occasionally fail to load on start up, the fix however is to simply to replace the dll files in server plugin folder. Maybe their is a server version that resolve this problem?

@jachin99  I did try Kodi and the skins you mentioned but I couldn't get them to display my collection cover art properly and navigating my collection wasn't as silky smooth as WMC. Thanks for the suggestion.    

• Solution
One2Go
6 hours ago, Chubchuckle said:

My current issue is some of Throg themes would occasionally fail to load on start up, the fix however is to simply to replace the dll files in server plugin folder. Maybe their is a server version that resolve this problem?.    

As EBR suggested if you like your setup then that is where you should stay. I have done the very thing. Realizing that WMC is End Of Life everywhere I decided to stay with the latest EMC version and stayed with the EMC server version 4.0.1.0 and disabled updates. It does everything I want it to do. I also run all the Throgsoft themes and have no problem whatsoever with them. Never had to do anything with the DLLs just original install of the themes and that is it. My HTPC is a Windows 7 one and just like you I am particular with the way my media collection is to be navigated and how it appears on the screen. I only stick with WMC because of the Throgsoft themes but it requires you to stay with the latest EMC and an early server version. Never tried the Stark covers heard of them but I am sure they are also past their expiration date. Stick with what works for you and hope that your hardware and software will not die and you are then forced to find a solution.

Another suggestion is try one of those media playback devices like Nvidia Shield as Emby has apps for them and that is a solution liked by many.

jachin99

I think stark covers just burns the boxcover into the boxart for both EMC, and WMC, correct?  I remember trying it a while back but I think EMC gives the same effect, at least inside of Emby

Chubchuckle

Hello.

@One2Go Thank you. I'll upgrade to server version 4.0.1.0. It does seem like you and I have a similar set up were by aesthetics is somewhat important. Thanks again.

@jachin99 Yes you are correct. I use Media Center Master and Stark to pre-process my collection, Stark covers just have so many more options for Movies and series posters. Unfortunately though, only Emby theater and Emc displays them correctly.

Thanks again for the help.