Original Kinect Sensor questions

Overseer

Overseer

Chef, how far along are you on MBKinect? Been away for awhile so haven't have much chance to do much testing, but am back for more.

ordinarybanter

Hey Chef - made it to the new forum. Have had a rough fall so far but hope to get back on the saddle soon.

Hey guys good to see you here. Mbkinect has had some reconstruction and new additions. I will post a link tonight. I unfortunately missed the dead line to get the link in the server working, so it will be available there on a couple weeks. We are still working on some ideas pertaining to how we could stop media playback without using kinect camera gestures, the gestures use a lot of resources. Everything else seems to be working quite well.

Hi chef,

im glad to see your progress. I would have one suggestion, tho: can you merge mbkinect and mbspeech in one mbvoice control software, so any one who havent kinect can also use this marvelous ability with any audio device (audiocard+mic or webcam with mic, etc)

thaks.

im glad to see your progress. I would have one suggestion, tho: can you merge mbkinect and mbspeech in one mbvoice control software, so any one who havent kinect can also use this marvelous ability with any audio device (audiocard+mic or webcam with mic, etc)

thaks.

I will do my best to make this happen.

If all goes well tonight with Testing I will release an RC version of Media Browser Kinect.

We all just want to make sure that the Speech recognition doesn't get drowned by 5.1 Surround sound.

thanks ebr.  

The Media Browser Kinect application will be ready really soon. I had to ensure that media playback was not going to stop the ability of the user from being able to pause, un-pause, and stop medias playback. It is a complicated mess of code.

If you want to know how it works, this is how:

I broke the pause commands down into two parts.

This seems to be the best way to make sure the kinect is hearing you and not the movie, also, make sure that it does hear you over the movie.

Here is a run down of how it works, it is a little difficult using a microphone array in a loud environment but I think I got it.

The command is "{designation} pause {media type}"

Designation = the name you gave your system

Media Type = movie, episode, music

This is the method.

• When media starts playback the system loads a special version of the designation command (the system name you gave it). 

• While it's loud with 5.1 surround sound or DTS from the movie it listens for its name.

• It might even think it hears it's name from the movie ever so often, But! nothing will happen.

• Unless, it  hears "Pause Media", "Pause Episode", "Pause Movie", "Pause Music"

This is different from a regular speech commands because I have the first part of the command (the system name/Designation) attached to a timer.

it lasts for three seconds. 

Once the Name is said, the speech recognizer unloads the designation command and loads only the "Pause commands".

Three seconds later, if it doesn't hear the "Pause Commands" then it reloads the system name again, and waits to hear it.

Here is the cool part. When it hears the system name (designation) the microphone array is shifted to that position in the room, and tries to pinpoint the user.

Awesome!

Spaceboy

Can't wait to try this out, is it possible to get access to the rc releases or is it better to wait for the final?

Thanks

hedgehogg

With both the previous release and RC1 I get .NET errors

'Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft Kinect. Version= 1.7.0.0 culture=neutral PublicKey Token ='31bf3856ad364e35' or one of it's dependancies. The system cannot find the file specified.

This is on the install and setup. If I click the continue option then the black splash screen comes up 'checking the MB server connection' Kinect sensor initialising.and stays there

I know full well it's gonna be something I did or didn't do so so help a poor old boy out here Please :)

EDIT:

Seems I had the Wrong Kinect SDK I had Beta 2 and needed 1.8 still getting a few errors and I have lost my voice shouting at the TV but slowly getting there

Edited by hedgehogg

Spaceboy

ok, well i got it installed on Windows 8 its just quite difficult to configure as the window always opens half off screen, cannot be moved and (for me) if maximised through Win+Up it maximises to my small second screen

Sorry I missed this post spaceboy, please attempt to download RC1.4 from:

http://www.mediabrowserkinect.com

this has been fixed.

Also, I have worked tirelessly on speech recognition, and I think io have squashed a couple bugs and allowed for a better experience in the latest version.

Spaceboy

hi chef, no problem i've been tied up on a few other things recently anyway. but hoping to get a proper look at this over the upcoming weekend

Spaceboy

hi chef, tried 1.4 quickly but its still opening up on my second screen. anything you open up from this point opens on the main screen though.

thanks

• 1 month later...
Spaceboy

so, i still can't get this to do anything, everything seemed to install ok and it seems to say its working but it never seems to receive any voice commands. i've been through the speech training for my user profile but i'm not getting anything showing up as recognised on the mbkinect window. plus i still don't really like the way the settings window pins itself to the edge of my second screen. it means its always in the foreground and makes changing any of the settings quite tricky.

what other info can i provide? would like to get it working as it looks great

Hi Chef, I'm having the same problems as Spaceboy, been quite some time since I've played around with your app, and this new version looks really slick. But I can't seem to get it to do anything, aside from tell me the time and weather every once and a while. I've been trying it out with MBT with no success with any commands... If you need any info from me let me know, I'd love to see this working smoothly!

Hi guys I am posting a new version this afternoon that works. But I am sorry, it still is buggy when you use it with the media browser theatre. It works beat with mbc at the moment.

mboehler

I posted this here too.  Then I realized it should probably in this thread instead.  Sorry for the double posting!

I just bought a used Xbox 360 Kinect and want to start using Media Browser N.U.I.  I have followed the instructions (I think) from http://mediabrowserkinect.com/ but I am still having some trouble.

I wasn't sure where to extract the files to, so I just put them all in C:\MBKinect RC1.4. I hope that's ok.

When I start MBKinect.exe I get the following error window:

52aa08260995f_kinect1.jpg

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit.  The only thing I have installed on here is Media Browser Classic,  LAV filters, the Kinect v1.7 SDK / Kinect Developer Took Kit, and MBKinect.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

mboehler

I posted this here too.  Then I realized it should probably in this thread instead.  Sorry for the double posting!

I just bought a used Xbox 360 Kinect and want to start using Media Browser N.U.I.  I have followed the instructions (I think) from http://mediabrowserkinect.com/ but I am still having some trouble.

I wasn't sure where to extract the files to, so I just put them all in C:\MBKinect RC1.4. I hope that's ok.

When I start MBKinect.exe I get the following error window:

52aa08260995f_kinect1.jpg

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, 64bit.  The only thing I have installed on here is Media Browser Classic,  LAV filters, the Kinect v1.7 SDK / Kinect Developer Took Kit, and MBKinect.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Upon further testing, it seems to only want to load the default User.  If I try to make it pick a different user, it gives me errors.  Incidentally, the MomPop user listed below is actually Mom&Pop.  It seems fine everywhere else.

52aa1b351b26f_kinect2.jpg   52aa1b5ac68ea_kinect3.jpg

Hmm... after playing with it some more, I can get it to work (I think) if I leave the user set on default.  It's not giving me this screen.

52aa1c377c73e_kinect4.jpg

So it looks like it's ready to use. Yes?

Now, how do I use it? Is there a list of options or a tutorial for how to use it?

I'm excited to get this working. :)  Thanks for your help!