[Emby on TrueNAS] stuttering while watching .avi files over browser after update to 4.6.2.0

Sylas

Sylas

Hello everyone

Maybe someone experiences the same issue and already know what the problem is: since I updated to Emby Server 4.6.2.0 (from 4.5.4.0 I think) my older files a.k.a. avi files often stutter during playback, i.e. some part of the audio is played twice in a row while the video is kinda stopping only to sync up again a few seconds later

I think avi files are transcoded (as far as I have read on the forum) so my guess is that something changed there. I also tried with H/W enconding enabled and disabled, no change.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks and br

Sylas

ok

I trimmed the embyserver.txt to the time stamps matching to the latest ffmpeg-transcode (I know the topic on "how to report a media playback issue" states "Please supply the full and complete log file, and avoid attempting to extract relevant sections. Everything is relevant to us." but it would have been around 100 MB file else)

the first error in the embyserver.txt I've already found here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/98421-repetitive-error-message-on-4610/

seems you already covered that one ... I do not know if that has an influence

hope that helps! and thanks for your help Luke

embyserver.txtffmpeg-transcode-6dd9997d-f6af-4d2b-84c2-a1036ca64a8b_1.txt

Edited by Sylas

by now I've seen it pretty much on all my videos...

it seems that after an initial phase where it can happens it goes on pretty normally

MRobi

@Sylas how did you install? Are you using the community plugin or did you create the jail manually and install manually?

Right now the community plugin is using the stock version of ffmpeg and not the custom version that comes bundled with Emby. This is fine for most files but can cause some playback issues with certain ones. It may be related to this.

• 2 weeks later...
jerren

I have encountered this problem aswell, didn't think much of it at the time but when i encounter it again i'll provide a serverlog too. Sadly i didn't pay attention to what type of file it was yet.

well it seems stuttering in the sense that video and audio don't sync is gone but instead the picture pauses for a few seconds while the audio is still going and they sync up again a few seconds later

much better than before and only happening at the beginning of watching something ... after that all good

for me, that is acceptable :)

• 1 month later...
hjason7812
On 6/9/2021 at 2:31 PM, Sylas said:

Hello everyone

Maybe someone experiences the same issue and already know what the problem is: since I updated to Emby Server 4.6.2.0 (from 4.5.4.0 I think) my older files a.k.a. avi files often stutter during playback, i.e. some part of the audio is played twice in a row while the video is kinda stopping only to sync up again a few seconds later

I think avi files are transcoded (as far as I have read on the forum) so my guess is that something changed there. I also tried with H/W enconding enabled and disabled, no change.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks and br

i know for a fact avi isn't a good container for video. i would convert them all to mp4/aac they work flawlessly then.